Should I block Mr Vandeman's posts?

Old September 5th 07, 12:23 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Eugene Miya

Default Should I block Mr Vandeman's posts?

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 09:27:51 -0700, "chasw" wrote:
Admittedly, this is a rhetorical question, since I'm already tired of
reading his anti-MTB rants. However, his obnoxious and unwelcome presence
here raises some interesting questions that should be addressed as I
summarily dismiss him. Here are a few points to consider:

MTB riders as a group are not bad, anymore than hikers, horses and
motorcyclist are.

Hikers, horses and bicycles erode trails in proportion to
their numbers; neither group is more damaging than the others,

Here's a general Usenet rhetorical answer:
Should you block? As a general user, you are welcome to post and read
anything you want you want within reason of disk space. It's an
unmoderated group.

But newbies to Usenet should consider 2 points:
1) We have a feature called cross posting. You should learn to cut
those down. You aren't reading in a single news group. The relevance
changes over time.

It's like you write:
The point is, all who use wild land trails need to recognize these conflicts
and learn to live with them, not lobby to ban other groups such as MTBs or

The net here is just another frontier.

The factor is you have a degree of control by using a news reader which
killfiles him and/or any topic you have no interest. The storage gets
recycled daily, weekly monthly except on archives willing to play for
the disk space.

Now if one wants to be network.unfriendly you could try to Cancel his
posts. That may get you kicked off Usenet. Canceling other people's
posts is regarded as somewhat hostile. There you have to play fair with
freedom of speech.

2) You don't have to attribute every single line of text in a Follow up
article.

although you
can make the case that motorcycles in certain circumstances create more than
their fair share of erosion, e.g., places where hill climbs are conducted.

Are you trolling for the rec.motorcycle guys?
Mikie tends to ignore them. I sometimes wonder if he is played by them
to distract others from them.

Hey Victor? You still out there? 8^)

The fact is, approx 90 percent of the population never leaves the city to
visit wild lands. Of those, approx 90 percent never leave the paved road or

The real reason why hikers don't like mountain bikers is because of
competition for the trails. Supposed damage to trails is a red herring. A

I think we have here a competition for eyeballs.

extent, hikers tend to look with distain at horses on the trail.

I don't see Mikee trolling in rec.equestrian.

I don't expect Mr Vandeman to buy into this, he is too rabid in his opposition
to MTBs, too prejudiced to think clearly about the inherent conflicts and
accept a reasonable solution. His ranting here is ultimately self
indulgent.

8^) That's mike.

Just my opinion, of course - CW

And you are entitled to it.

Learn to trim headers and edit down text.