Trek Pure Sport or Electra Townie 28 or Trek Lime ???

Old September 9th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
jim[_4_]

Default Trek Pure Sport or Electra Townie 28 or Trek Lime ???

After All This I STILL NEED HELP....
Back to my original question.
Trek Lime or Trek Pure Sport or Electra Townie 21.
I want this bike for exercise. Haven't been on a bike for 20 years.
Enjoyed going 15-20 miles then. Looking for comfort and stability..so
the flat foot concept appeals to me. Is the three speed of the Lime so
limiting that I should only look at the Trek Pure Sport and the
Electra Townie 21???

Spechs for Trek Pure Sport..and geometry:
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ure/puresport/

Spechs of Electra Townie 21:
http://www.electrabike.com/townie/

Spechs of Trek LIme and geometry:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ath/lime/lime/

Old September 9th 07, 09:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Keats

In article .com,
jim writes:
After All This I STILL NEED HELP....
Back to my original question.
Trek Lime or Trek Pure Sport or Electra Townie 21.
I want this bike for exercise. Haven't been on a bike for 20 years.
Enjoyed going 15-20 miles then. Looking for comfort and stability..so
the flat foot concept appeals to me.

A '70's Bike-Boom Sekine or Apollo will fill your bill then.

The flat saddles that came on those were good enough, and
much more comfy than the contoured manifestations of evil
proffered today.

Stem shifters are easy. Using them makes your steering
squiggle a very little, but so what?

Those ol' lugged frames are beauties.

Parts are still available, and thrifty. Even
27" wheels. I /do/ love the Suzue one-piece,
wide-flanged hubs of the latter-day era.
I'm also becoming enamoured with /steel/ curly
drop bars. Those things cry out for brown
organic tape.

I believe what you picture, and therefore desire,
is a '60s or '70s "10-speed". If so, I encourage
you to follow that dream. Those generally were
good bikes. Getting back onto one of those might
be a Blast From the Past for ya, and you'll be
pleasantly, nostalgically ... you know. I know.
I've been there myself.

Get yourself a $20 or $40 Apollo or Sekine or Schwinn
or whatever you remember, from a thrift shop or whatever.
There are lots of 'em around. Ride it around, have fun,
and let it remind you of where you came from, and what
from your past made you what you are today. That's how
I enjoy riding, myself. Riding in my advanced years
keeps me in touch with my less-advanced years :-)

The old cruiser-style balloon-tired bikes with
curvy, cantilevered, dual top-tubes have regained
some popularity. I must say, whitewalls /do/
look smart.

You have all kinds of options at your avail.

Only /you/ can choose for yourself. But I intuit
you're looking for a bike similar to something from
your past, and I assure you -- that, or something
like it, is still around.

Older bikes are not necessarily junk.

And I reiterate -- those ol' cross-hatched pleather
flat saddles on the 70's Bike Boom bikes are
wonderful. Especially if you luck-out and get one
with the chromed coil springs in the rear (and they're
not too squeaky.)

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old September 9th 07, 12:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 19:42:10 -0700, jim wrote:

After All This I STILL NEED HELP....
Back to my original question.
Trek Lime or Trek Pure Sport or Electra Townie 21.
I want this bike for exercise. Haven't been on a bike for 20 years.
Enjoyed going 15-20 miles then. Looking for comfort and stability..

How did either feel when you rode them? What did YOU like and dislike
about either bike? There are no wrong answers.

I'm not breaking 'em off on you, I pose the identical questions to a
face to face customer.

Didn't ride them? Do it! Not in stock? Ask the LBS who normally
carries each brand to order one in your size for a test ride.
Old September 9th 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Ron Wallenfang

On Sep 8, 5:45 am, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"
wrote:
On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 20:47:01 -0700, "Mike Jacoubowsky"

wrote:
Interesting point! Route 19 never bothered me much because it does, as you
note, have a pretty wide shoulder. But near as I recall it's not indicated
as a bike route, or marked as such.

Did you get to join the giant (sorry, not wrong word. G , REALLY
BIG) Lime ride at Trekworld?

Near the conclusion of my San Francisco-Milwaukee trip. I took WI HWY
19 from its beginning a little east of Mazomanie to its end at
Watertown. It was never, IIRC, marked as a bike route. The best
riding was the eastern part, from Sun Prairie through Marshall and
Waterloo and on to Watertown. West of Waunakee, it's a very dubious
route: curvy, hilly and narrow, although by Dane County standards,
the auto traffic is light. From Waunakee to Sun Prairie, normal auto
traffic is heavy and road quality varies, Let's just say it helped
that I went through that segment beginning before 6:00 a.m. on a
Sunday morning. (I had stayed overnight at a motel just east of
Waunakee.)