Tool for Look pedal axle c-clip?

Old June 23rd 04, 12:34 AM
Pete Biggs

Default Tool for Look pedal axle c-clip?

Hellooo u.rc & r.b.t,

I've got axle out of PP396*, want to replace bearing cartridge but can't
get c-clip off. Clip is tight & very thin, about 10mm ID, 12mm OD. Can
anyone advise on what tool I need exactly?

Pointing out something from www.justoffbase-tools.co.uk/tools.asp or any
other catalogue to illustrate would be fab.

* Same axle & bearings as in PP357, if you know that model.

cheers
~PB

Old June 23rd 04, 09:28 AM
Dr Curious

"Pete Biggs" wrote in message
Hellooo u.rc & r.b.t,

I've got axle out of PP396*, want to replace bearing cartridge but can't
get c-clip off. Clip is tight & very thin, about 10mm ID, 12mm OD. Can
anyone advise on what tool I need exactly?

Pointing out something from www.justoffbase-tools.co.uk/tools.asp or any
other catalogue to illustrate would be fab.

* Same axle & bearings as in PP357, if you know that model.

cheers
~PB

There are C Clip pliers on here at £5.99 with a photo which may
enable you to judge their suitability.

http://www.quickworldwide.co.uk/en-gb/dept_43.html

IIRR The usual bodge is to try and use pointed nose pliers, but pound
shop ones would proably snap off and shatter - a definite goggles job.
So thats two pounds at least.

Curious

Old June 23rd 04, 09:42 AM
Dr Curious

"Pete Biggs" wrote in message
Hellooo u.rc & r.b.t,

I've got axle out of PP396*, want to replace bearing cartridge but can't
get c-clip off. Clip is tight & very thin, about 10mm ID, 12mm OD. Can
anyone advise on what tool I need exactly?

Pointing out something from www.justoffbase-tools.co.uk/tools.asp or any
other catalogue to illustrate would be fab.

* Same axle & bearings as in PP357, if you know that model.

cheers
~PB

There are C Clip pliers on here at £5.99 with a photo which may
enable you to judge their suitability.

http://www.quickworldwide.co.uk/en-gb/dept_43.html*

IIRR The usual bodge is to try and use pointed nose pliers, but pound
shop ones would proably snap off and shatter - a definite goggles job.
So thats two pounds at least.

Curious

* Oh and don't miss out on the curved scissors for trimming the screens
on helicopters. A snip a just £2.99.

Old June 23rd 04, 01:26 PM
Pete Biggs

Dr Curious wrote:
There are C Clip pliers on here at £5.99 with a photo which may
enable you to judge their suitability.

http://www.quickworldwide.co.uk/en-gb/dept_43.html*

Thank you. I'm not quite sure what type and size would be suitable so I
was hoping a Look user could recommend a specific tool that would
definitely work. The axle and cartridge getting in the way could be a
problem, and I think I'd prefer the jaws to open as I squeeze the handles
rather than the other way round. I should/will just simply go along to a
hardware store with the part and ask for advice. That would be sensible
:-)

IIRR The usual bodge is to try and use pointed nose pliers, but pound
shop ones would proably snap off and shatter - a definite goggles job.
So thats two pounds at least.

I'd need pliers with extra fine points. Normal long nose pliers are too
big.

~PB

Old June 23rd 04, 03:06 PM
Dr Curious

"Pete Biggs" wrote in message
Dr Curious wrote:
There are C Clip pliers on here at £5.99 with a photo which may
enable you to judge their suitability.

http://www.quickworldwide.co.uk/en-gb/dept_43.html*

Thank you. I'm not quite sure what type and size would be suitable so I
was hoping a Look user could recommend a specific tool that would
definitely work. The axle and cartridge getting in the way could be a
problem, and I think I'd prefer the jaws to open as I squeeze the handles
rather than the other way round. I should/will just simply go along to a
hardware store with the part and ask for advice. That would be sensible
:-)

I think a variable factor may be the size of the loops at either
end of the C. As you say the C is only 10 mm diameter and if the
loops are in proportion then presumably you'll need a smaller tool
than one which can accommodate helipcopter engine parts.

Although the illustration could point either way I think its
possible the jaws do open when you squeeze the handles. That
they don't in fact cross over as in scissors and pliers.

If you google "C clip tool" "Look" you get this -

.....Time Pedal rebuild C-Clip Tool $2 ...

in an inventory of spare parts on a subscription message board its
impossible to access. Anyway you'd expect someone else on here
will have encountered this and there should be a more definite
response. Eventually anyway.

IIRR The usual bodge is to try and use pointed nose pliers, but pound
shop ones would proably snap off and shatter - a definite goggles job.
So thats two pounds at least.

I'd need pliers with extra fine points. Normal long nose pliers are too
big.

point taken

Curious

~PB

Old June 23rd 04, 03:59 PM
Peter Amey

Dr Curious wrote:
[snip]

I think a variable factor may be the size of the loops at either
end of the C. As you say the C is only 10 mm diameter and if the
loops are in proportion then presumably you'll need a smaller tool
than one which can accommodate helipcopter engine parts.

The web site looked to me like tools for radio controlled model
helicopters so the tool sizes might be quite suitable.

Screwfix do various circlip pliers, see:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=101080&ts=02547

This set of 4 mini circlip pliers might be suitable.
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=02556&id=24554

[snip]

All spoken with the invincible ignorance of never having even seen an
example of the pedal concerned.

Peter

Old June 23rd 04, 04:29 PM
Dr Curious

"Peter Amey" wrote in message

Dr Curious wrote:
[snip]

I think a variable factor may be the size of the loops at either
end of the C. As you say the C is only 10 mm diameter and if the
loops are in proportion then presumably you'll need a smaller tool
than one which can accommodate helipcopter engine parts.

The web site looked to me like tools for radio controlled model
helicopters so the tool sizes might be quite suitable.

Hence the scissors for cutting the windscreen you mean?

Errr.....Oops!

Curious

Old June 23rd 04, 05:29 PM
John Everett

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 00:34:26 +0100, "Pete Biggs"
wrote:

Hellooo u.rc & r.b.t,

I've got axle out of PP396*, want to replace bearing cartridge but can't
get c-clip off. Clip is tight & very thin, about 10mm ID, 12mm OD. Can
anyone advise on what tool I need exactly?

Pointing out something from www.justoffbase-tools.co.uk/tools.asp or any
other catalogue to illustrate would be fab.

* Same axle & bearings as in PP357, if you know that model.

I've read some of the responses, and if your PP357s are anything like
the Looks I've had apart, you're not looking for circlip pliers. The
clip in the Looks doesn't have extraction holes, it's just a hoop of
spring steel wire.

I've managed to pry the clip off with a small jeweler's screwdriver,
for all the good it's done. Once removed the cartridge bearing won't
budge; it's obviously a press fit. I've just accepted that late model
(last ten years or so) Looks are just not serviceable.

I'd put some oil or gease down into the needle roller bearing in the
pedal body and reassemble it. :-(

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old June 23rd 04, 05:57 PM
Pete Biggs

John Everett wrote:

I've got axle out of PP396*, want to replace bearing cartridge but
can't get c-clip off. Clip is tight & very thin, about 10mm ID,
12mm OD. Can anyone advise on what tool I need exactly?

Pointing out something from www.justoffbase-tools.co.uk/tools.asp or
any other catalogue to illustrate would be fab.

* Same axle & bearings as in PP357, if you know that model.

I've read some of the responses, and if your PP357s are anything like
the Looks I've had apart, you're not looking for circlip pliers. The
clip in the Looks doesn't have extraction holes, it's just a hoop of
spring steel wire.

Correct no holes, but it is split. I called it a "c-clip" because I
thought that's what clips that look like the letter 'c' were called. I'm
obviously not too familar with circlips and circlip tools. However, I
could imagine circlip pliers working without the holes, although I can
also imagine getting into a right mess!

I've managed to pry the clip off with a small jeweler's screwdriver,
for all the good it's done.

I tried that but the clip just slips around. Will try again.

Once removed the cartridge bearing won't
budge; it's obviously a press fit. I've just accepted that late model
(last ten years or so) Looks are just not serviceable.

Oh dear :-( I've heard of people replacing Look pedal cartridge
bearings before so I thought it was possible.

I'd put some oil or gease down into the needle roller bearing in the
pedal body and reassemble it. :-(

I do have one spare axle with bearings in a very poor state so I haven't
got much too loose by experimenting on that, but I suppose it's not worth
spending much money on.

Thanks very much your reply.

cheers
~PB