South Pittsburgh to McKeesport Route (PA 837)

Old June 16th 07, 12:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Stephen Harding

Default South Pittsburgh to McKeesport Route (PA 837)

Anyone know if the section of PA 837 from S. Pittsburgh
to McKeesport is bike ridable within some semblance of
reason?

I'm planning on a tour from Pittsburgh to DC later this
summer and the bus or train ride from home to Pittsburgh
puts me a bit farther north of the route I actually want
to ride (Allegheny Alliance trail to C&O canal) which
starts in McKeesport.

I've read two fairly divergent reviews of riding PA 837
between the two cities: It's very ridable; It's ridable
if you have a death wish.

I Google Earth'ed the road a bit and it looked like some
sections had nice wide shoulders and other sections had
none, and the entire road was very "divided highway" looking
although maps called it a non-limited access road.

Doesn't seem to be much in the way of alternative side
roads between the two locations.

Thanks for any insights you may have.

SMH
Old June 16th 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
R Brickston

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 11:42:26 GMT, Stephen Harding
wrote:

[...]

Isn't the trail now available all the way through? From the map it
looks like it runs parallel to 837:

http://www.atatrail.org/maps/map1.cfm
Old June 17th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leland Mayne

Stephen Harding wrote:
[...]

Penn DOT is better at some things than they are at road maintenance.

http://www.dot7.state.pa.us/ividlog/video_locate.asp

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Internet/...dDJVU?OpenForm

--
Leland Mayne
http://neighborhoodbikeworks.org
Old June 17th 07, 01:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
R Brickston

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 01:11:38 GMT, Leland Mayne
wrote:

Stephen Harding wrote:
[...]

The vidlog is uber cool for bike route planning, a precursor of Google
Steet View. Thanks.
Old June 18th 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

If you rode it early on Sunday morning you would have no problem. I
have rode it to Kennywood, and it was not too bad. I am not clear
where you are coming from. The trail is done only to the South Side or
on the other side of the river you get to Hazelwood on the jail trail,
and then through Hazelwood, and across the bridge near Sand Castle.
You can ride through Waterfront area, and connect afterwards.

Tom

Old June 18th 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
bdbafh

On Jun 16, 7:42 am, Stephen Harding wrote:
[...]

That route has overlap with this route, which tends to have more
detailed maps:

ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf...state_mapS.pdf (overview)
ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf.../Bike_S_04.PDF
ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf.../Bike_S_05.PDF

and this might be worth a look:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Allegheny_Passage

-bdbafh

Old June 20th 07, 11:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Stephen Harding

RBrickston wrote:

This 2006 trip report has some Pittsburgh information:

http://www.thirdwave-websites.com/bi...sburgh-dc-c&o-
gap.cfm#new

Nice report!

Like your motivation: "days of great eating traveled on a bike"!

You should consider joining "Team Gourmet" during the RAGBRAI
(ride across Iowa). They apparently prepare multi-course,
gourmet evening meals for each of the 7 days of the ride,
sometimes pedaling in tuxedos (or partial tuxedos)!

It's looking like my bus isn't going to arrive in Pittsburgh
until about 2:30 in the morning, so riding 837 might not be
so much an issue. Lots of tail lighting and reflective-wear.

Sounds like a great ride. I probably won't be eating as well
as you guys did!

SMH
Old June 20th 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
RBrickston

In article wk7ei.7713$Fw5.2587@trndny02, says...
RBrickston wrote:

This 2006 trip report has some Pittsburgh information:

http://www.thirdwave-websites.com/bi...sburgh-dc-c&o-
gap.cfm#new

Nice report!

Like your motivation: "days of great eating traveled on a bike"!

You should consider joining "Team Gourmet" during the RAGBRAI
(ride across Iowa). They apparently prepare multi-course,
gourmet evening meals for each of the 7 days of the ride,
sometimes pedaling in tuxedos (or partial tuxedos)!

It's looking like my bus isn't going to arrive in Pittsburgh
until about 2:30 in the morning, so riding 837 might not be
so much an issue. Lots of tail lighting and reflective-wear.

Sounds like a great ride. I probably won't be eating as well
as you guys did!

SMH

It wasn't my ride, but I'm sure the authors would appreciate your
comments.