Cure for sore Butt?

Old February 10th 08, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tosspot[_2_]

Default Cure for sore Butt?

Mark T wrote:
Trevor writtificated

Any more suggestions?

This'll sort you:

www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

My 2p worth:

Fiddle with the position of the saddle first. Most men like 'em level-but-
slightly-pointed-up. Most women go for level-but-slightly-pointed-down.

"Good Lord! What a gay saddle position you have Sir".

I can see it now, coming to ukrc....
Old February 10th 08, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
squeaker

On 9 Feb, 23:52, PhilO wrote:
On Feb 9, 8:47 pm, "Trevor"
wrote:

I've always had a sore bum by the time
I've been in the saddle 15 mins.
Any more suggestions?

Get a recumbent - that did it for me. Cycling in a big comfy padded
chair is means no soe butt at all.

PhilO

Yep: recumbent's the way
Old February 10th 08, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Trevor[_2_]

Many thanks for all you tips ladies and gentleman. It's not easy to get to
shop when you hate cities and live in the wilds, but will give it a go.

Old February 10th 08, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

Trevor wrote:

I'm a very occasional cyclist ( 24 miles the other day was first trip for
6 months) though will be doing more with the better weather and light
evenings.

In the past, even when I cycled 90 miles a week regularly in hilly Devon
and once did 1000 miles over 3 weeks, I've always had a sore bum by the
time I've been in the saddle 15 mins.

I am not one for wearing cycling gear, but in the interests of trying to
not get a sore backside, I resorted to a pair of cycling underpants with
cycling shorts over the top.

Don't wear cycling shorts with cycling underpants; one or the other, not
both. While people's posteriors vary, the general rule is that the most
comfortable saddle is the HARDEST (not softest!) which fits YOU. Your
weight should be taken on your ischeal tuberosities - lumps on the back of
your pelvis - and the distance they are apart varies from person to person.

For years I used Brooks Professional saddles:

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productD...8991&catID=354

- these fit me very well, but are heavy (about 650 grammes). Other saddles
in the Brooks range have different widths, and one will fit you. I've now
moved onto Selle Italia SLRs, which also fit me well and are 500 grammes
lighter.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetai...dID=5300003518

However, what matters is not what fits me but what fits you. Specialized
(the brand) dealers now have a little pad thing to measure the width of
your bum, it's worth trying one.

;; Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Old February 10th 08, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_2_]

On 10/02/2008 10:58, Trevor said,
Many thanks for all you tips ladies and gentleman. It's not easy to get to
shop when you hate cities and live in the wilds, but will give it a go.

Simon Brooke seems to be the only one who's explained what you're
looking for in a saddle, but I'll just add that the reason soft, squidgy
saddles that would appear to be more comfortable aren't, is that the
cushioning works it's way into places that aren't meant to be chafed or
to bear pressure.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old February 11th 08, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Trevor[_2_]

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message
Trevor wrote:

I'm a very occasional cyclist ( 24 miles the other day was first trip for
6 months) though will be doing more with the better weather and light
evenings.

In the past, even when I cycled 90 miles a week regularly in hilly Devon
and once did 1000 miles over 3 weeks, I've always had a sore bum by the
time I've been in the saddle 15 mines.

[...]

That sounds really good advice I will track down a cycle shop with a
bumometer!

Old February 13th 08, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Trevor[_2_]

I already have 2 bikes and I mainly use a mountain bike - 95% on road, but
like to occasionally use the bridleways. Never heard of a recumbent Mountain
Bike is the such a thing?

Old February 13th 08, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Trevor[_2_]

Trevor wrote:

[...]

Looking he

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetai...ndard%20Saddle

There seems to be one size only??

I'm confused, if I get measured will I perhaps nee a Brookes XX i.e.
something other than B17?

Old February 13th 08, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe[_2_]

Trevor wrote:
However, what matters is not what fits me but what fits you.
Specialized (the brand) dealers now have a little pad thing to
measure the width of your bum, it's worth trying one.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetai...ndard%20Saddle

There seems to be one size only??

I'm confused, if I get measured will I perhaps nee a Brookes XX i.e.
something other than B17?

Most Brooks model comes in one width, though the B17 does come in "narrow".
Many have two lengths (often designated ladies and gents).

For unsprung, I think the B17 is the widest. It is the "classic touring"
size, and as such fits the "average gentleman tourer". So if your bones are
"average" and your posture on the bike is "average gentleman tourer" it
might fit you. It fits many riders, which is why its popular. But not all
bodies are the same shape, which is why it doesn't fit me.

For sprung models, the "Flyer" is a B17 with springs. A B66 (twin rail) and
B67 (single rail) are wider than the Flyer, other models are wider still.

Some of the US retail sites have easy to follow Brooks sizing; Sheldon
Brown's Harris Cyclery page was one with such information.

btw., once you have worked out the width of your sit bones, you need to
transfer this to width of saddle. Your sit bones need to be ON the saddle,
so the saddle will be wider than the bone spacing.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old February 13th 08, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman

Trevor wrote:

I already have 2 bikes and I mainly use a mountain bike - 95% on road, but
like to occasionally use the bridleways. Never heard of a recumbent Mountain
Bike is the such a thing?

yes.

i can see some problems with weight movement, but i can see it being a
hoot.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com