It's an age thing ...

Old February 12th 08, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Don Whybrow

Default It's an age thing ...

I am finding it increasingly difficult to read small print. Either the
print is in focus at arms length, but too small to read, or close up it
is large enough to read, but out of focus. Time is having it's effect.

By good fortune, the company I work for subscribes to a scheme that will
allow me to get free "VDU" glasses. Today I went to the nearest Optician
in the list and had an eye test. As suspected, I need reading/close work
glasses. What was a bit more of a blow was that while I am still legal
to drive, it is only due to one eye, the other is below standard for
distance work. Consequently I am mulling over the need to get a set for
general use. The optician said that it wasn't legally necessary.

Now for the cycling related bit.

I like to ride with cycling glasses. The clear one keeps the rain and
the bugs at bay, the dark one stops me squinting at the sun.

1. Does anyone know anybody that produces prescription cycling glasses?
2. Are there any cycling glasses that you can wear over the top of a
pair of glasses a la safety goggle stylee?

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

"So tell me, just how long have you had this feeling that no one
is watching you?" (Christopher Locke: Entropy Gradient Reversals)
Old February 12th 08, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Danny Colyer

On 12/02/2008 20:11, Don Whybrow wrote:
1. Does anyone know anybody that produces prescription cycling glasses?

http://www.optilabs.com/

For the last few months I've been wearing Optilabs Scorch glasses. I
had planned to wear them all the way through the winter before posting a
review, but since you're asking this seems like a good time to do it.
I'll start a new thread.

I have also heard that Oakley makes prescription cycling glasses.

Alternatively several companies make cycling glasses with prescription
inserts including, off the top of my head, Adidas, Briko and Rudy Project.

IME prescription cycling glasses are better than glasses with
prescription inserts because they are less prone to misting up and less
prone to irritating reflections. If you want different lenses for
different lighting conditions, though, multiple pairs of prescription
glasses are likely to be more bulky and more expensive than a single
pair of glasses with interchangeable lenses and a prescription insert.

2. Are there any cycling glasses that you can wear over the top of a
pair of glasses a la safety goggle stylee?

A pair of safety goggles would probably do the job. Years ago I used to
wear ski goggles for cold weather cycling.

--
Danny Colyer http://www.redpedals.co.uk
"The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis
Old February 12th 08, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon D

Danny Colyer used his keyboard to write :

Alternatively several companies make cycling glasses with prescription
inserts including, off the top of my head, Adidas, Briko and Rudy Project.

Unless anyone has good reason to contradict me I'd also suggest Bolle,
e.g.-

http://www.gosportsspex.co.uk/Bolle_...rtsGlasses.asp

I used to sell these at my old shop (Buckley-Saxon Cycles), and they
were one of those products in which I always had complete confidence. I
owned two pairs myself, albeit without prescription inserts (and still
have one pair which must be fifteen years old, and which are still
great). The lenses were always of extremely high quality, and the
design was good.

That said, I'm not familiar with the current models, having been out of
both trade and sport for a good few years now; hence my opening
proviso!

--
Simon

Old February 12th 08, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_3_]

Don Whybrow wrote:
[...]

Is there such a thing?

The same "distance" glasses serve me for driving, general travel on
foot, moves, theatre and watching TV (as well as reading if I hold my
head at an uncomfortable angle).

2. Are there any cycling glasses that you can wear over the top of a
pair of glasses a la safety goggle stylee?

Pass.
Old February 13th 08, 01:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jeff[_6_]

Don Whybrow wrote:
[...]

A few years ago, when I was considering prescription sunglasses, I took
a shine to the products of the Rudy Project - they looked like they were
designed by people who actually wear prescription glasses as opposed to
some other products I've actually owned (I wound up not buying anything,
so I cannot speak from direct experience).

Unless you really need glasses, I'd suggest a pair of cheap
non-prescription sun glasses. My prescription is -8 diopters and I
usually ride sans glasses (wouldn't do that with a car).
Old February 13th 08, 07:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
wafflycat

"Danny Colyer" wrote in message
On 12/02/2008 20:11, Don Whybrow wrote:
1. Does anyone know anybody that produces prescription cycling glasses?

http://www.optilabs.com/

For the last few months I've been wearing Optilabs Scorch glasses. I had
planned to wear them all the way through the winter before posting a
review, but since you're asking this seems like a good time to do it. I'll
start a new thread.

Another option to be considered: contact lenses?

being a speccy-four-eyes myself, I do wear my specs when cycling. BUT when
cycling at night in rain, such as last year's Dunwich Dynamo, I found I was
effectively rendered blind as the lenses of the specs I was wearing would
not clear properly. Problem solved by the acquisition of daily disposible
contact lenses. I don't wear contacts every day, but I am finding them
incredibly useful for cycling.

Old February 13th 08, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin Bulmer

Jeff wrote:
My prescription is -8 diopters and I
usually ride sans glasses (wouldn't do that with a car).

So you can't read your watch until it's about 6 inches in front of your
eyes? Brave man. Don't unexpected pot-holes shake you up a bit? I know
people with - 8 D who claim they can't get out of bed without their
correction. Is it fair to expext drivers to reach a certain standard of
vision, but to make no attempt to do so ourselves?
--

Martin Bulmer (-6 one eye, -10 the other, wouldn't dream of cycling
uncorrected).

Old February 13th 08, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Feb 13, 1:56*am, Jeff wrote:
Don Whybrow wrote:
[...]

-8?? That doesn't sound too sensible to me, even if it's not actually
illegal. I'm -6 and I can barely make out the shape of a car, let
alone read a number plate at the distance required for driving. I
certainly wouldn't be able to see potholes far enough in front to
avoid them, and there are a whole host of other visual clues as to
what's happening in front that I'd miss if I tried riding without
glasses or contacts.

Dave
Old February 13th 08, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

JNugent wrote:
Don Whybrow wrote:
I like to ride with cycling glasses. The clear one keeps the rain and
the bugs at bay, the dark one stops me squinting at the sun.

1. Does anyone know anybody that produces prescription cycling glasses?

Is there such a thing?

If you don't know the answer, why parade your ignorance for all to see?
Even if you can't be arsed to spend the 20 seconds googling that would
establish the answer to this question, reading the other responses to
this thread would enlighten you

-dan