I was absolutely amazed, could not believe my eyes

Old July 20th 09, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
alan.holmes

Default I was absolutely amazed, could not believe my eyes

I passed by a cycle shop today, and outside, to my amazement, was a proper
cycle, one with mudguards, does anyone ever cycle in the rain these days,
and if they do how do they stop all the mud going up their backs?

Old July 20th 09, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

alan.holmes wrote:

I passed by a cycle shop today, and outside, to my amazement, was a proper
cycle, one with mudguards, does anyone ever cycle in the rain these days,
and if they do how do they stop all the mud going up their backs?

Optional extras (like the parcel shelf was on a Vauxhall Nova (at a cost of
over £100))?
Old July 20th 09, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Daniel Barlow

JNugent writes:

alan.holmes wrote:

I passed by a cycle shop today, and outside, to my amazement, was a
proper cycle, one with mudguards, does anyone ever cycle in the rain
these days, and if they do how do they stop all the mud going up
their backs?

Optional extras (like the parcel shelf was on a Vauxhall Nova (at a
cost of over £100))?

I assume this is because the typical purchaser doesn't want the standard
parcel shelf because they need the reinforced model with extra
cross-bracing to support the weight of the loudspeakers.

You will no doubt be delighted to know that mudguards for bicycles cost
considerably less than that. How is the bike purchasing thing going anyway?

-dan
Old July 20th 09, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Daniel Barlow wrote:

JNugent writes:

alan.holmes wrote:

I passed by a cycle shop today, and outside, to my amazement, was a
proper cycle, one with mudguards, does anyone ever cycle in the rain
these days, and if they do how do they stop all the mud going up
their backs?

Optional extras (like the parcel shelf was on a Vauxhall Nova (at a
cost of over £100))?

I assume this is because the typical purchaser doesn't want the standard
parcel shelf because they need the reinforced model with extra
cross-bracing to support the weight of the loudspeakers.

Not at all. This was when the Nova was a new model. You didn't get the parcel
shelf as standard (meaning that everyone could see what was in the "boot"
unless you paid out the extra). That little sales pitch put me off the
Vauxhall and I bought a Citroen instead.

You will no doubt be delighted to know that mudguards for bicycles cost
considerably less than that.

I should hope so - and didn't mean to imply that they cost anything like as
much as that.

How is the bike purchasing thing going anyway?

I couldn't find what I really wanted. I want to be able to sit up straight
(like they mostly do in NL). However, a cycling-for-excercise friend has now
pointed me towards his local shop.
Old July 20th 09, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keitht

alan.holmes wrote:
I passed by a cycle shop today, and outside, to my amazement, was a proper
cycle, one with mudguards, does anyone ever cycle in the rain these days,
and if they do how do they stop all the mud going up their backs?

My LBS does Pashley bikes.
Chain guards, mudguards, basket for yapping dog - I think there's a
leather saddlebag as an extra as well.

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old July 20th 09, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
alan.holmes

"Daniel Barlow" wrote in message
JNugent writes:

alan.holmes wrote:

I passed by a cycle shop today, and outside, to my amazement, was a
proper cycle, one with mudguards, does anyone ever cycle in the rain
these days, and if they do how do they stop all the mud going up
their backs?

Optional extras (like the parcel shelf was on a Vauxhall Nova (at a
cost of over £100))?

I assume this is because the typical purchaser doesn't want the standard
parcel shelf because they need the reinforced model with extra
cross-bracing to support the weight of the loudspeakers.

You will no doubt be delighted to know that mudguards for bicycles cost
considerably less than that. How is the bike purchasing thing going
anyway?

I wasn't purchasing it, I just ahppened to see it, I haven't seen a proper
bike for sale, new, for years.

-dan

Old July 20th 09, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

JNugent writes:

alan.holmes wrote:

I passed by a cycle shop today, and outside, to my amazement, was a
proper cycle, one with mudguards, does anyone ever cycle in the rain
these days, and if they do how do they stop all the mud going up
their backs?
Optional extras (like the parcel shelf was on a Vauxhall Nova (at a
cost of over £100))?

I assume this is because the typical purchaser doesn't want the standard
parcel shelf because they need the reinforced model with extra
cross-bracing to support the weight of the loudspeakers.

You will no doubt be delighted to know that mudguards for bicycles cost
considerably less than that. How is the bike purchasing thing going
anyway?

I wasn't purchasing it, I just ahppened to see it, I haven't seen a proper
bike for sale, new, for years.

They're usually there, but probably something like 1% of stock. Maybe not
there at all in a store stocking fewer than about a hundred bikes.
Old July 20th 09, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman[_3_]

alan.holmes wrote:

I passed by a cycle shop today, and outside, to my amazement, was a proper
cycle, one with mudguards, does anyone ever cycle in the rain these days,
and if they do how do they stop all the mud going up their backs?

um most hybrid/shopper type bikes have them fitted, mudguards that is.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old July 21st 09, 12:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pip Ryder

alan.holmes wrote:

does anyone ever cycle in the rain these days,

Yes, all the time. For one, you don't get anywhere near the number of
dog walkers when it's raining. I've never owned a dog, but I duduce from
this fact that dog's don't need excercise on wet days, some biological
quirk maybe?

Secondly, wet weather means soft terrain and that's when the ride is
more demanding and more rewarding.

and if they do how do they stop all the mud going up their backs?

I don't. It'd look pretty silly if my back was clean when my front, from
helmet to sandals is speckled with the stuff!

I believe cure is better than prevention. I jump in the shower after my
ride and come out all clean again!
Old July 21st 09, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alan Braggins

In article , Pip Ryder wrote:
alan.holmes wrote:

does anyone ever cycle in the rain these days,

Yes, all the time. For one, you don't get anywhere near the number of
dog walkers when it's raining. I've never owned a dog, but I duduce from
this fact that dog's don't need excercise on wet days, some biological
quirk maybe?

I do own a dog, and he disagrees with your deduction. :-)

(But not all dogs need the same amount of exercise every day, so it's
unsurprising that some owners choose to exercise them more on days when
the weather is good.)

I am amazed that no one has said anything about this... No Name Racing 30 December 24th 07 02:33 AM
absolutely no idea... Gumby Australia 10 August 2nd 06 03:06 AM
Absolutely amazing! Simon Bennett UK 29 February 6th 06 06:19 PM
People, more amazed and amazing than I realised cathwood Unicycling 6 August 17th 05 06:20 PM
Absolutely Perfect!!!!! Steady Rollin' Man Racing 51 July 19th 05 03:39 AM