whats the worst ride you've ever had?

Old May 30th 06, 07:55 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default whats the worst ride you've ever had?

someguy wrote:

caught in bad weather / injuries etc.. I have had 2-

1- the London-Brighton ride a few years ago (never done it since)- got split
form the rest of the group, and caught in several downpours- the so called
waterproofs gave up after the 3rd soaking. cold, wet, and still had 20 odd
miles to go...!

2- a more local ride this time, got caught / lost in a fog bank on top of a
hilly range, chilled to the bone despite leggings, fleece etc.

thats why i so love summer!

This was the worst:

http://www.spokejunkies.com/forum/in...showtopic=2035

This wasn't the worst but it was the scariest:

http://www.spokejunkies.com/forum/in...showtopic=2359

Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Old May 30th 06, 10:46 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

G.T. wrote:
someguy wrote:

caught in bad weather / injuries etc.. I have had 2-

1- the London-Brighton ride a few years ago (never done it since)- got split
form the rest of the group, and caught in several downpours- the so called
waterproofs gave up after the 3rd soaking. cold, wet, and still had 20 odd
miles to go...!

2- a more local ride this time, got caught / lost in a fog bank on top of a
hilly range, chilled to the bone despite leggings, fleece etc.

thats why i so love summer!

This was the worst:

http://www.spokejunkies.com/forum/in...showtopic=2035

I'll have to concur on that one.

This wasn't the worst but it was the scariest:

http://www.spokejunkies.com/forum/in...showtopic=2359

I've been on scarier, a horizontal snowstorm on Poison Spider Mesa.

JD

Old May 30th 06, 10:53 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"JD" wrote in message
ups.com...

G.T. wrote:
someguy wrote:

[...]

Yeah, you and Matt bringing up the inclement weather rides definitely adds
to the scariness factor. I've been on some scary hot rides but didn't run
into any mechanical or route troubles so they weren't that scary. And on
the cold side the temps weren't that bad and I've never done anything really
big in the snow anyway.

Greg

Old May 30th 06, 11:23 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Getting to the Imnaha River trailhead and preparing to tide down to the
Snake on this gorgeous looking single track. The drive to the TH was scary
in itself, following a cowpath meandering along ridges with several hundred
feet exposure. Took a rock from a big truck while en route to the back
road, so had minimal visuals from a cobweb windshield. Mostly I leaned out
of the window and hoped for the best ;-)

Got the the trailhead, got everything together and rode 100 yards before we
4-flatted. First experience with Goat's Head. With only two spare tubes
(no slimers), we decided to hike instead. Wonderful hike, but we never got
close to the confluence of the Snake on foot, and the ride would have been
epic...

Old May 31st 06, 01:19 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default Imnaha, was worst ride...

"GWood" wrote in message
[...]

Wow, you've ridden that? I just saw photos of that trail. Mr Adventure and
pals rafted the Imnaha at high water about a month ago. There was a lot of
discussion about that road: the guys said "f*ckit" and just put in right
there, they didn't want to deal with the road. It was pointed out to me that
I could have brought the bike and ridden along side the river while they
boated. Goat Head city eh? I'll keep that in mind.

there's pics of the trail right here.
http://northwestwhitewater.org/NWAtriptales.htm

~Penny

Old May 31st 06, 03:22 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Tue, 30 May 2006 11:55:43 -0700, G.T. wrote
(in article ):

http://www.spokejunkies.com/forum/in...showtopic=2359

Greg

When I got hit by a uninsured driver in a pickup truck and broke my pelvis on
the day before I was to leave on vacation .

Paul

Old May 31st 06, 03:42 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Wed, 31 May 2006 02:22:02 +0000, pauly wrote:

When I got hit by a uninsured driver in a pickup truck and broke my pelvis
on the day before I was to leave on vacation .

Paul

Holy crap. Whatever came of that?

gabrielle
Old May 31st 06, 04:36 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

G.T. wrote:
This was the worst:

http://www.spokejunkies.com/forum/in...showtopic=2035

This wasn't the worst but it was the scariest:

http://www.spokejunkies.com/forum/in...showtopic=2359

Greg

Ah, reminiscing...

Several of my adventures ring true to these. I could write a small book.

My buddy Edgar and I decided to do the one-way version of the Wasatch
Crest after work. In retrospect, it was a real DUH decision, because the
available light was insufficient under optimal conditions.

Conditions were not optimal. Weather was great, but Edgar had condoms
for innertubes. Three flats into the ride, we'd only covered about 3 of
the 14 miles of trail, and the Sun was setting. We took the Mill D drop
back down to the canyon road (about 2000 vertical feet). Descending in
waning light, I found myself with a constant ear-splitting grin as I
rode right over stuff that would give me pause had I seen it. It got
dark enough that I was steering towards the black spots which signified
the trail. (Vegetation was slightly brighter.)

There was no visual of the trail surface, but it's a well-maintained
trail so we didn't have to worry about 3' dropoffs or anything like
that. Eighteen inchers, sure. Those were fun.

Got to the canyon road about 12 miles from the city. It was completely
dark. Edgar was riding his rims by then, so he was going to wait at the
trailhead while I hauled ass into town and across town to get my car.
That was about 25 miles of road riding. Again, the time sense deserted
me, as it would require about 2 hours for me to return.

But I did it, riding the whole distance as a time trial. At one point in
the canyon, I noticed a deer paralleling my course on the side of the
road. Told it Hi, and please don't cross in front of me. My voice scared
it, fortunately, in the "safe" direction away from the road.

Rode across town, parked the bike in the office, drove up the canyon,
where of course Edgar had caught a ride and was waiting at the 7-11 at
the bottom. Found no sign of Edgar, backtracked, picked him up, drove
his bike back to work where he got his car.

That was just a run-of-the-mill mini-epic ride. I've had worse. The
worst would probably be the time I decided to ride to Park City for
lunch, by trail. Eight hours on the bike, about 10K of vertical. This is
something I can do in better shape, but I was not in shape for such an
endeavor. It took me about two whole weeks to completely recover from
that effort.

Or maybe the time I rode Slickrock over New Years, and lost the trail in
the snow. Two full hours of hike-a-bike up and down the sandstone later,
I finally found the trail and returned to the motel just as it was
getting fully dark. I narrowly avoided a cold night on the desert that time.

I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the
trust by exposing the name of our sources. They are, in my view,
the most insidious of traitors."
George H.W. Bush, April 16, 1999,
Old May 31st 06, 01:17 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Per pauly:
When I got hit by a uninsured driver in a pickup truck and broke my pelvis on
the day before I was to leave on vacation .

Sheesh!... I feel really lucky. My worst two rides were when I broke a sus
bolt and a frame respectively and had to walk 7 and 10 miles to get home.
--
PeteCresswell
Old May 31st 06, 05:09 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

First time taking girlfriend out on bikes. Took a wrong turn and wound up on
a more challenging trail which prompted her to brake to hard and flip. The
saddle bruised her and the walk back (she could not ride) was that utter
silence that is heavy as 92% humidity.