Koxx hub on nimbus long neck...options?

Old December 7th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Spencer Hochberg

Default Koxx hub on nimbus long neck...options?

So I turning my splined koxx 20" wheel into a freestyle uni now and I
want a long neck frame. I tried to order a semcycle freestyle frame but
they are out of them and don't know exactly when they are getting more
in. So I would just get that new 07 nimbus but I might have a problem
with the bearings. The koxx bearings are 42mm and the nimbus frame has
machined bearing holders for 40mm bearings.

This is what is on the koxx website about their signature frame...
[image:
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...icture1-2.png]

It has machined bearing holders and says it will fit 40 and 42mm
bearings so is it possible that the nimbus will take 42mm bearings
also?

Evan told me the 22x42mm bearings are shimmed to fit on the koxx axle
so it might be possible to get the torker 20x40 bearings and see how
that goes but then I would also need to buy an isis crank puller to
switch the bearings.

Does anyone have thoughts about how to make this work?

--
Spencer Hochberg

'Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer'
(http://Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer)
AIM: Litldude2
Email: Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com
'Bedford Unicycles' (http://BedfordUnicycles.ca)

GizmoDuck wrote:
If you sit up straight you're about as aerodynamic as a flying brick
wall

Spencer Hochberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12659

Old December 7th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
andrew361

I can't say anything about the new Nimbus frame, but I was running a
Koxx One hub in my older Nimbus X (non long neck) with no problem at
all. It actually fit in the Nimbus X frame a lot nicer than my Nimbus
II frame.

Andrew

--
andrew361
andrew361's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10444

Old December 7th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Spencer Hochberg

andrew361 wrote:
I can't say anything about the new Nimbus frame, but I was running a
Koxx One hub in my older Nimbus X (non long neck) with no problem at
all. It actually fit in the Nimbus X frame a lot nicer than my Nimbus
II frame.

Andrew

Yeah, but you use this kind of bearing holder.
[image:
http://unicycle.com/images/catalog/h...dBrackets.jpg]
So as long as it is close to the bearing size it will work but with the
machined holders it fits more exactly. I am not sure how exact it is
though...

Old December 7th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

Do you know anyone with a CNC mill?

--
Borgschulze

Torker DX!
Borgschulze's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13501

Old December 7th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Evan Byrne

Borgschulze wrote:
Do you know anyone with a CNC mill?

You dont need a cnc to make bearing holders.

--
Evan Byrne
Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

Old December 7th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

Evan Byrne wrote:
You dont need a cnc to make bearing holders.

You're right, just get a big bit to cut into it. Manual Mill will work
fine.

Old December 9th 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Spencer Hochberg

Roger told me that the 42mm bearings will not fit in there but I also
have a Udc freestyle wheel in my garage with 40mm bearings so I ordered
the frame anyway. I still would much rather use the koxx wheel so I am
going to see about getting different bearings for the koxx hub. I just
need to know the OD of the axle since the bearings it comes with are
shimmed to fit on there. I think I might be able to take the shims off
and use smaller bearings, I need to check on that.

Old December 9th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

Why don't you go to your local bearing store and have them take a look
at it?

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)

Old December 9th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Spencer Hochberg

ntappin wrote:
Why don't you go to your local bearing store and have them take a look
at it?

I dont think I have a bearing store, I could take it to a bike shop
maybe...I can't take the cranks off though. I guess if I was going to a
bike shop anyway I could have them do it.

Oh and I would just order some bearings online but I don't know the
diameter of the axle...

Old December 9th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
maximus unius

Why can't you take off the cranks. I though they were regular Koxx
cranks?

--
maximus unius

Originally Posted by *Beener*
Is ISIS, ISIS, is ISIS not ISIS, is KOXX ISIS really ISIS, is Kris Holm
ISIS more ISIS than KOXX ISIS, ISISISISISIS!

maximus unius's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13699