Uncrisp shifting

Old August 21st 03, 12:15 AM
terrapin

Default Uncrisp shifting

I'm having a little trouble with the shifting of my rear derailleur.
9-speed Ultegra STI shifters and cassette; Dura Ace triple rear
derailleur. The best cable adjustment I can do allows for good
shifting when moving to a smaller cog, but I need to "overshift"
slightly (not quite two clicks) to move to a larger cog. If I move
the shifter just enough to click, it won't move the derailleur enough.
It needs a little more push (another click followed by a shifting
down a cog also works).

The cable and housing are new, the chain and cassette are in good
condition, I've had a shop check the hanger alignment, the derailleur
is fairly new, and I've lubed the area where the cable passes under
the bottom bracket. The shifter has been used for about 15,0000
miles.

What appears to be happening is that I don't get enough cable pull
when the shifter is moved just enough to click once; if I move it a
little more and then release, I get more cable pull (or if I click
again and then shift down a cog).

Not a real big deal, but anyone have any ideas for a remedy? Thanks a
lot...
Old August 21st 03, 01:55 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

terrpin- I'm having a little trouble with the shifting of my rear derailleur.

9-speed Ultegra STI shifters and cassette; Dura Ace triple rear
derailleur. BRBR
The cable and housing are new, the chain and cassette are in good
condition, I've had a shop check the hanger alignment, the derailleur
is fairly new, and I've lubed the area where the cable passes under
the bottom bracket. The shifter has been used for about 15,0000
miles. BRBR

Not a real big deal, but anyone have any ideas for a remedy? Thanks a
lot... BRBR

Hope that's a typo, or else you have the longest lasting ultegra 9s shifter in
history.
Flush the lever with WD-40, but me thinks, since all else is essentially
new(ish), it has to be the lever. These things don't last forever, some don't
last for minutes.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 21st 03, 08:57 PM
terrapin

(Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message ...

Flush the lever with WD-40, but me thinks, since all else is essentially
new(ish), it has to be the lever. These things don't last forever, some don't
last for minutes.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Thanks much for the tip Peter, but that doesn't seem to help. The
shifter seems OK. There just seems to be too much friction
somewhere...
Old August 21st 03, 11:51 PM
Jim Edgar

terrapin wrote:

[...]

Are you sure that you had the right type of housing?

Was the housing snugged tightly up to the shifter body?

Does the cable seem to move smoothly if you move it by hand?

You might also check where you ran the cable on its way to the derailleur
from the last loop. Try it on the other side of the fixing bolt.

Before you reattach the cable, sight down the bike from the back wheel. With
no cable tension, does the derailleur line up properly with the smallest
cog? If not, adjust the limit screw so it does so. Then, pull on the
cable with your left hand while tapping the downshift lever with your right.
Make sure you are in the lowest gear with respect to the shifter before you
attach the cable.

Is there an extra housing ferrule stuck in the derailleur? Somewhere in the
cable run? Frayed wires? Crazed Gerbils?

If that don't do it, you may have worn the sucker out...

-- Jim