Freehub service Oil or Grease?

Old November 14th 12, 05:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
TheCoz

Default Freehub service Oil or Grease?

Catching up on some much needed service, I am cleaning and lubing the
freehubs on my wheelsets. Mavic, Shimano, Zipp and HED hubs. I have
been to all the manufactures web sites to read what to use as a
lubricant in each freehub. Some say light oil, others say light
grease. Which do you use with the best results?
Dazed & Confuzed Coz
Old November 14th 12, 06:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 14/11/2012 3:30 PM, TheCoz wrote:
Catching up on some much needed service, I am cleaning and lubing the
freehubs on my wheelsets. Mavic, Shimano, Zipp and HED hubs. I have
been to all the manufactures web sites to read what to use as a
lubricant in each freehub. Some say light oil, others say light
grease. Which do you use with the best results?
Dazed & Confuzed Coz

In the free hub ratchet assy, use medium to light oil. Motor oil is
probably ok (15w-?). Gear oil (80w-90) probably to heavy.

Grease and heavy oil can prevent the pawls from freely engaging the
ratchet teeth in the free hub. The result is that the free hub can slip
when you start to pedal after a period of free wheeling.

In a free hub with pawls pushed out with a light spring action this will
be more of a problem. I have been known to stretch the springs a little
to make them push out harder. Don't worry about that causing more
friction, as the friction is tiny and only when you free wheel anyway.

Bearings can use a little grease, if they're not sealed cartridge types.

Sealed cartridge bearings should be replaced if there is excessive play.
They can usually be pressed out and new ones pressed in. Check for
generic parts and buy from a bearing shop if possible, as the bike shops
may fleece you selling "genuine" OEM bearings, that are no different but
2-3 times the price.

I have been known to remove the seals and clean and relubricate seal
cartridge bearings. You might get a little more life out of them, but
if they're at all loose or rough the seals are likely stuffed already,
and the internals likewise.

--
JS
Old November 14th 12, 12:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

TRY Finish Line Silicone grease or find a synthetic marine boat trailer bearing grease if local conditions are abysmal. Oil evaporates, changes composition qualities in viscosity, and as a category in viscosity, drains downward.

Grease is stickier more protective designed for the hub application.

Oil is faster so oil has a WE'RE GONNA GO FASTER support group.

Doahn pack the hubs with grease, coat parts with grease. You nhave several so try one repack/rebearing n see how it goes.

Old November 14th 12, 01:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 11:30:48 PM UTC-5, TheCoz wrote:
Catching up on some much needed service, I am cleaning and lubing the

freehubs on my wheelsets. Mavic, Shimano, Zipp and HED hubs. I have

been to all the manufactures web sites to read what to use as a

lubricant in each freehub. Some say light oil, others say light

grease. Which do you use with the best results?

Dazed & Confuzed Coz

HHHHHH

are the manufacturers lined up in any way for oil or grease ? birds of a feather ? orn can hubs be designed specifiically for oil or grease, low - high viscosity. You read J sez gear oil is too thick...but gear oil has retention to plate addoitives....good for wear but some would say sicky menas we have to pedal harder to pry the plates apart which is....

lotta forum discussion...prob find brake fluid, vegtable oil,

here's the HM

http://www.livestrong.com/article/12...-grease-types/
Old November 14th 12, 02:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 11:30:48 PM UTC-5, TheCoz wrote:
Catching up on some much needed service, I am cleaning and lubing the

freehubs on my wheelsets. Mavic, Shimano, Zipp and HED hubs. I have

been to all the manufactures web sites to read what to use as a

lubricant in each freehub. Some say light oil, others say light

grease. Which do you use with the best results?

Dazed & Confuzed Coz

GGGGGGGGG

try

https://www.google.com/search?q=++GO...w=1152&bih=614

the shelf here has 2 tubes Castrol Synthetic Marine Wheel Bearing Grease, a long term supply cool as its NLA...unreal good bicycle grease.

Finish Line is water soluble in comparison
Old November 14th 12, 02:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Nov 14, 4:30*am, TheCoz wrote:
Catching up on some much needed service, I am cleaning and lubing the
freehubs on my wheelsets. Mavic, Shimano, Zipp and HED hubs. I have
been to all the manufactures web sites to read what to use as a
lubricant in each freehub. Some say light oil, others say light
grease. Which do you use with the best results?
Dazed & Confuzed Coz

As long as all the bearing surfaces are steel then a smear of MoS2
grease product is appropriate. Typical metal-soap grease loading is
not appropriate, which is why oil tends to be the popular choice for
the experienced. A typical NLGI 2 grease will be too stiff in the
winter and a NLGI 1 be too slack in the summer, which might be OK if
seals are good, but if so one may use motor oil with long service
interval.

Old November 14th 12, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Nov 14, 11:53*am, datakoll wrote:
TRY Finish Line Silicone grease or find a synthetic marine boat trailer bearing grease if local conditions are abysmal. Oil evaporates, changes composition qualities in viscosity, and as a category in viscosity, drains downward.

Grease is stickier more protective designed for the hub application.

Oil is faster so oil has a WE'RE GONNA GO FASTER support group.

Doahn pack the hubs with grease, coat parts with grease. You nhave several so try one repack/rebearing n see how it goes.

My usual trick has been to have the race and cone area filled with a
calcium grease and add cycle oil (Weldtte) until the axle
significantly frees up and the grease is loose, but not slack. In
traditional bearings there has always then been enough space as once
the dustcao is put on any excess can easily squeeze along the axle or
between axle and dustcap. Calcium grease is very useful as it
stiffens before losing lubricating and ant-oxidative properties.
Merely rotating the wheel and seeing that it rocks before resting
makes clear that there is sufficient oil left in the calcium soap.
Oil is added through the dustcaps on my wheels. For crank bearings i
go through a hole inthe "aero" bracket and through a Campag' dust
jacket in my ex-racer.
Old November 14th 12, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Ace

On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 9:33:07 PM UTC-8, James wrote:

In the free hub ratchet assy, use medium to light oil. Motor oil is
probably ok (15w-?). Gear oil (80w-90) probably to heavy.

Perhaps too heavy but not as far off as the numbers suggest.
Motor oil and gear oil are graded on different scales,
which makes as much sense as having different numberings
for shoe sizes and sock sizes.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

I'm not criticizing your recommendation nor suggesting that
you didn't know this. I'm only clarifying a point as long
as we're on the subject.

Tom Ace
Old November 14th 12, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Nov 14, 3:11*pm, Tom Ace wrote:
On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 9:33:07 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
In the free hub ratchet assy, use medium to light oil. *Motor oil is
probably ok (15w-?). *Gear oil (80w-90) probably to heavy.

Perhaps too heavy but not as far off as the numbers suggest.
Motor oil and gear oil are graded on different scales,
which makes as much sense as having different numberings
for shoe sizes and sock sizes.
*http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

I'm not criticizing your recommendation nor suggesting that
you didn't know this. *I'm only clarifying a point as long
as we're on the subject.

Tom Ace

Both have worked fine for me with freewheels but I don't want to be
handling smelly gear or hypoid oil anymore. That's being
overenthusiastic for a free-running clutch IMO.
Old November 14th 12, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
TheCoz

On Nov 14, 9:25*am, thirty-six wrote:
On Nov 14, 3:11*pm, Tom Ace wrote:

On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 9:33:07 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
In the free hub ratchet assy, use medium to light oil. *Motor oil is
probably ok (15w-?). *Gear oil (80w-90) probably to heavy.

Perhaps too heavy but not as far off as the numbers suggest.
Motor oil and gear oil are graded on different scales,
which makes as much sense as having different numberings
for shoe sizes and sock sizes.
*http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

I'm not criticizing your recommendation nor suggesting that
you didn't know this. *I'm only clarifying a point as long
as we're on the subject.

Tom Ace

Both have worked fine for me with freewheels but I don't want to be
handling smelly gear or hypoid oil anymore. *That's being
overenthusiastic for a free-running clutch IMO.

I agree with using grease in the bearing hubs. But I am more confuzed
about the freehub pawls. I would think grease is too thick and may
cause some sticking of the pawls. But, oil too thin and may tend to
leak out.
Most had original grease already there. Zipp sayz to use 30w motor oil
in pawls. Mavic sayz mineral oil (Kyserim SL). HED sayz grease. Why
are the manufacturers so different on lube types??
Crazy Coz

Red grease Graham Ashton UK 12 March 5th 08 12:17 PM
Phil Wood Grease vs Pedros' Syn Grease Llatikcuf Techniques 3 August 15th 05 05:46 PM
To grease, or not to grease? - Seatpost Leon Techniques 4 June 18th 05 12:22 AM
grease DJ Australia 3 January 28th 05 09:01 PM
Carbon parts: to grease or not to grease??? ccrider Techniques 9 May 27th 04 11:39 PM