Finally finished my Ibis Tranny with Rohloff hub

Old April 4th 13, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Default Finally finished my Ibis Tranny with Rohloff hub, Now with PIX

On Apr 4, 12:49*pm, datakoll wrote:
* The same cannot be said about a

lot of other bicycle-related products where the only thing separating

the "best" from the second or third "best" is finish work or a few

grams.

like a warranty sold to a lawyer ?

well the whohaa is does it work, does it deliver....I guesss it does for this group
3 months from now 4 riders will show with a pic of a mangled rohloff disintegrated on downhill run in the rockies killing 5 people, 2 children from a lawyer.

we know fersure the buying group either has

money to burn

wastes money

which is non bike more or less

AND have conditions either mental physical or environmental requiring a 14 gear hub.

my condition is seeing a Deore deray sale for $9 each I bought 3.

Well, I'm not going to buy one. It doesn't solve any problem I
currently have.-

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 5th 13, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

gnaw...a front deray and 2 CR then you're back to complexity. I guess 'on average' weather plays a large part for defecting to Rohloff. Grit, dirt, water equals maintenance avoided with no deray one CR multiple hub whci as you point to starts in a selected cog.

Now figure backwards from what a Stumpjumper is 'actually' worth as a new bike today...not 3600 more 1200...factopry made a SJ for $100 ?

Hmmm last time we dissed Rohloff was from a defective cog ? Then went thru the problems fixing it with other disgeared oweners attending then 2 ? people took the hub apart n produced photos.

Old April 5th 13, 05:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_3_]

wrote:
Sir Ridesalot:
A Rohloff wheel i about $1500.00 according to one post here.
Another thread mentioned that a SON dynahub wheel and light's
about $1000.00

A wheel with Rohloff Speedhub is available for 850 -1000 Euro in Germany
from different sources (e.g. www.vaust.com or
http://www.ebay.de/itm/310642099845) - which should translate to around 1000 US$.

Wheels with SON hub dynamo starting at around 200 Euro - better models at
around 300 Euro. (See e.g. http://www.ebay.de/itm/400391863973).

Klaus

That's just two wheels, and it still costs more than any of my bikes...
Old April 5th 13, 07:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Ace

On Thursday, April 4, 2013 9:50:38 PM UTC-7, Ralph Barone wrote:

That's just two wheels, and it still costs more than any of my bikes...

Maybe we could use a new group, rec.bicycles.price .

What's more interesting, the dollar figure or what
the parts do? The Rohloff hub has been available for
15 years now and there still is no other hub with the
same range. And what other internal-gear hub is built
like it? The Rohloff holds up to tandem service
(or to Chalo Colina) yet it weighs less than a
Shimano SG-S700 11-speed internal gear hub.

Belt drive is an option, letting you do away
with the single dirtiest part on a bike.

But hey, go ahead and dwell on the price if
that's your idea of fun.

Tom Ace
Old April 5th 13, 02:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Op 5-4-2013 8:58, Tom Ace schreef:
On Thursday, April 4, 2013 9:50:38 PM UTC-7, Ralph Barone wrote:

That's just two wheels, and it still costs more than any of my bikes...

Maybe we could use a new group, rec.bicycles.price .

What's more interesting, the dollar figure or what
the parts do? The Rohloff hub has been available for
15 years now and there still is no other hub with the
same range. And what other internal-gear hub is built
like it? The Rohloff holds up to tandem service
(or to Chalo Colina) yet it weighs less than a
Shimano SG-S700 11-speed internal gear hub.

Belt drive is an option, letting you do away
with the single dirtiest part on a bike.

But hey, go ahead and dwell on the price if
that's your idea of fun.

If Rohloff was making a filthy profit for what they are offering there
would be much more competition I guess. As you say for the last 15 years
there are now other hubs in the same league as the Rohloff hub in
performance, range and reliability. So if you have an application for it
stop whining and save up for one, you won't regret it. Everyone can
afford a Rohloff hub as Frank said. You don't have to be in a midlife
crisis to buy one, just the right application. If you don't have an
application what is the point of whining about the price?

Lou

Old April 5th 13, 02:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

well it is an interesting device bought by interesting people.

Shimano's people cannot afford unreliability. Poplewhio buy R's buy Lancia's and Biz !

If you look the other way, you see a remarkably reliable light and inxpensive array of transmissons and metalurgy.

Now we need a testimonial on a total R failure !
Old April 5th 13, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Apr 5, 6:05*am, Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

The price is high, but when you look at the manufacturing video and
the amount of machining involved and the apparent finish quality (I've
never actually held on in my hands), it doesn't seem out of line --
particularly since it includes idler, shifter and cable (at least in
most iterations for sale on the web). Di2 -- at the other end of the
market -- cost more. http://www.glorycycles.com/shuldi2upkit.html
(note no hub, just shift components).

You wouldn't want a Rohloff on your sub 16lb racing bike, and you
wouldn't want Di2 on your over 20lb world-touring bike. I wouldn't
want either because I get the same service out of more modestly
priced, mid-fi products.

OT (but what isn't these days), I was rummaging around in a ski shop
with my son after skiing last week. He showed me this $1,100 USD ski
jacket -- not that that he wanted one, but just as a WTF sort of
thing. In fact, he had pointed out some kid wearing the jacket while
we were skiing earlier in the day. We looked it over trying to figure
out what made it better than any other jacket at half or quarter the
price. It was not apparent, but people still buy these things.
That's what I think of as wasteful.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 5th 13, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Apr 5, 7:47*am, Jay Beattie wrote:
[...]

I know there is always the, "Deore is plenty good enough; what are
you, some kind of snob?" sentiment, and understand the point; but I
still aspire to e.g. Phil Wood hubs and bottom bracket someday. as
you mention about the machining and "quality" of the Rohloff, the work
and care that goes into things doesn't rinse out, and gives
satisfaction in complex ways *beyond* just the obvious long-lasting
performance and reliability.
Old April 5th 13, 07:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, April 5, 2013 3:47:44 PM UTC+1, Jay Beattie wrote:

OT (but what isn't these days), I was rummaging around in a ski shop

with my son after skiing last week. He showed me this $1,100 USD ski

jacket -- not that that he wanted one, but just as a WTF sort of

thing.

I had a mate who used to go into one of the poncier department stores for the trendies when they had a sale on. He'd look at the suits. One day someone said to him, "But you never wear suits, so why go look at the suits on sale in Brown, Thomas?" My friend said, "Ah, but I like looking at suits that are a THOUSAND euro OFF the regular price. I've never even owned a suit that cost as much as they discount their suits." He was a millionaire many times over...
Old April 5th 13, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, April 4, 2013 8:37:19 PM UTC+1, Jay Beattie wrote:

You can dump a lot of money on the supposed "best" and get no better

performance or longevity than the second or third "best"

No, there are products that are better, and there are buyers who are qualified to determine which products are superior. The Rohloff is a superior product on a large number of parameters, and cheap at the price, for the strictly functional engineering.

It is when the best is presumed to be the most fashionable, or the best-known brand-name, that people who haven't done their homework, or are incapable of doing it, spend megabucks to pay for brand marketing rather than engineering or quality design.

Those are apples and oranges in the same basket.

Andre Jute

Ibis Tranny Scott Gordo Mountain Biking 3 October 5th 07 04:01 AM
Ibis Tranny Scott Gordo Techniques 3 October 3rd 07 07:51 PM
My road uni is finally finished. delcypher Unicycling 18 August 15th 07 11:36 PM
FS: Ibis Tandem Ossie Marketplace 0 November 12th 04 05:34 PM