another for the 'click click' files

Old September 12th 18, 02:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Default another for the 'click click' files

My commuting bike has been making some noises lately. Deferred
maintance, largely, but you know how it is. I've gotten most of them,
but the today it started to make a new clicky noise. Not quite a
a click, more like a plastic bag being crumpled, but only a click
duration of it. Not pedal rotation related, more speed related;
I thought it probably had something to do with the
fresh oil I'd inadvertantly riddent through this morning, but when I
put it up on the stand tonight, I discovered one of the rear tire's
reflective strips was coming undone. It was stickng out enough that
it could hit on of the stays, sometimes. Sliced it off with a razor
knife, and no more click. I did manage to spill one pedal's ball
bearings on the floor, and couldn't find them all. Bah.

--
sig 116
Old September 12th 18, 03:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/11/2018 8:25 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
My commuting bike has been making some noises lately. Deferred
maintance, largely, but you know how it is. I've gotten most of them,
but the today it started to make a new clicky noise. Not quite a
a click, more like a plastic bag being crumpled, but only a click
duration of it. Not pedal rotation related, more speed related;
I thought it probably had something to do with the
fresh oil I'd inadvertantly riddent through this morning, but when I
put it up on the stand tonight, I discovered one of the rear tire's
reflective strips was coming undone. It was stickng out enough that
it could hit on of the stays, sometimes. Sliced it off with a razor
knife, and no more click. I did manage to spill one pedal's ball
bearings on the floor, and couldn't find them all. Bah.

Oh, happy ending. Good for you.

My 'huh. sounds like a plastic bag under my mudguard' always
turns out to be a puncture.

Your commuter pedal will probably run fine short one. My
commuter pedals seem to die of 'forced into curb' or 'slide
on concrete' more than actual wear.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 12th 18, 03:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

AMuzi wrote:
:On 9/11/2018 8:25 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
: My commuting bike has been making some noises lately. Deferred
: maintance, largely, but you know how it is. I've gotten most of them,
: but the today it started to make a new clicky noise. Not quite a
: a click, more like a plastic bag being crumpled, but only a click
: duration of it. Not pedal rotation related, more speed related;
: I thought it probably had something to do with the
: fresh oil I'd inadvertantly riddent through this morning, but when I
: put it up on the stand tonight, I discovered one of the rear tire's
: reflective strips was coming undone. It was stickng out enough that
: it could hit on of the stays, sometimes. Sliced it off with a razor
: knife, and no more click. I did manage to spill one pedal's ball
: bearings on the floor, and couldn't find them all. Bah.
:
:

:Oh, happy ending. Good for you.

:My 'huh. sounds like a plastic bag under my mudguard' always
:turns out to be a puncture.

Taht was last week:
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net...&o e=5C2117D0

:Your commuter pedal will probably run fine short one. My
:commuter pedals seem to die of 'forced into curb' or 'slide
n concrete' more than actual wear.

Yeah, I'll get some more, eventualy. The amount of corrosion on the
spindle was more concerning, actually.

--
sig 59
Old September 12th 18, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/11/2018 10:00 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/11/2018 8:25 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
My commuting bike has been making some noises lately.Â* Deferred
maintance, largely, but you know how it is.Â* I've gotten most of them,
but the today it started to make a new clicky noise.Â* Not quite a
a click, more like a plastic bag being crumpled, but only a click
duration of it.Â* Not pedal rotation related, more speed related;
I thought it probably had something to do with the
fresh oil I'd inadvertantly riddent through this morning, but when I
put it up on the stand tonight, I discovered one of the rear tire's
reflective strips was coming undone.Â* It was stickng out enough that
it could hit on of the stays, sometimes.Â* Sliced it off with a razor
knife, and no more click.Â* I did manage to spill one pedal's ball
bearings on the floor, and couldn't find them all.Â* Bah.

Oh, happy ending. Good for you.

My 'huh. sounds like a plastic bag under my mudguard' always turns out
to be a puncture.

Your commuter pedal will probably run fine short one. My commuter pedals
seem to die of 'forced into curb' or 'slide on concrete' more than
actual wear.

One annoying sound that puzzled me for a while was a loud, intermittent
squeak. This was back when our Bikes Friday were new.

I'd installed Planet Bike fenders. They came with a safety feature, a
plastic collet on the fenders that connected to each fender stay.
They're supposed to allow for easy adjustment of the effective stay
length. Plus they're supposed to pull free if a stick gets sucked into
the fender, preventing the fender from jamming and locking up the wheel.

But the collets are pretty thick, maybe 10mm or so. And the Schwalbe
tires have straight-knurled dynamo tracks. Turns out when a bump was
just right, the fender would flex so the inside edge of the collet
touched the dynamo track, generating an amazingly loud squeak.

Multiple adjustments gave no permanent solution. I eventually filed down
the inner face of the collet. Some day I'll probably fabricate my own
stays out of stainless steel welding rod, making them one continuous
loop around the back of each fender.

--
- Frank Krygowski