12-27 vs 12-25

Old July 24th 03, 02:16 PM
Donald Specker

Default 12-27 vs 12-25

I currently have an 11-23 on my Ultegra double and need more range. Should
I go for the 12-27, or are there shifting issues, etc., that would steer me
toward the 12-25. I can ride the 23, but have developed some "over-use"
type injuries from riding the hills around here.

Thanks.

Old July 24th 03, 04:32 PM
Arthur Clune

dorn wrote:
: 12-27 shifts perfect and it gives you a bailout gear, plus unless you are
: pretty strong its not that often you need more than a 12.

In fact, why not go 13/25 which would go you a nice close range? If you've got
a 52 or 53 big ring you don't need the 12 anyway.

Annoying Shimano don't offer a 13/27 which would probably be perfect for your
needs.

Arthur

Old July 24th 03, 05:53 PM
Precious Pup

Arthur Clune wrote:

dorn wrote:
: 12-27 shifts perfect and it gives you a bailout gear, plus unless you are
: pretty strong its not that often you need more than a 12.

In fact, why not go 13/25 which would go you a nice close range? If you've got
a 52 or 53 big ring you don't need the 12 anyway.

How would you know and what does "need" mean anyway?

Annoying Shimano don't offer a 13/27 which would probably be perfect for your
needs.

That's the one thing I hate about the aligned cog/cassette system -- not as much freedom to mess around if you
are a gear head. We simply get what "someone else" decided was a good idea. Fortunately some tricks can be
played if one is clever and has a few extra bucks.
Old July 24th 03, 06:27 PM
Paul Kopit

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:16:31 GMT, "Donald Specker"
wrote:

I currently have an 11-23 on my Ultegra double and need more range. Should
I go for the 12-27, or are there shifting issues, etc., that would steer me
toward the 12-25. I can ride the 23, but have developed some "over-use"
type injuries from riding the hills around here.

Thanks.

In the world of recreational bicyclists, there is little difference in
Shimano's 12/25 and 12/27. 21,23,25 vs 21,24,27 I'd opt for the 27.
A 13/25 is made in Ultegra and 13/26 in 105 and those really my
favorites in Shimano.

Should you want to save $, just take the 11 off your 11/23 and add a
spacer and 26.
Old July 24th 03, 06:58 PM
Mike Krueger

I currently have an 11-23 on my Ultegra double and need more range. Should
I go for the 12-27, or are there shifting issues, etc., that would steer me
toward the 12-25. I can ride the 23, but have developed some "over-use"
type injuries from riding the hills around here.

Should you want to save $, just take the 11 off your 11/23 and add a
spacer and 26

For this to work, you'll also need a diferent (larger diameter) lockring and 12
or 13T first position cog, which is knurled to mate with the lockring.

Old July 24th 03, 07:07 PM
Doug

[posted to rec.bicycles.tech and mailed to Paul Kopit
]

Should you want to save $, just take the 11 off your 11/23 and add a
spacer and 26.

The smallest cog is special. You'd need to get a replacement for it.
Old July 24th 03, 08:21 PM
James Thomson

"Doug" wrote:

The smallest cog is special. You'd need to get a replacement for it.

The 12 of the 11-23 I have in front of me is identical to the 12 of the
12-25. I believe all 12t Shimano sprockets will work in the first position.
You do need to use the correct lockring though.

James Thomson

Old July 24th 03, 08:22 PM
Michael

"Donald Specker" wrote ...
I currently have an 11-23 on my Ultegra double and need more range. Should
I go for the 12-27, or are there shifting issues, etc., that would steer me
toward the 12-25. I can ride the 23, but have developed some "over-use"
type injuries from riding the hills around here.

I went to 12-27 Ultegra a few years ago for the extra gear (actually I
went from 8 speed Ultegra 12-23 or 24 to 9 speed Dura Ace 12-27). I
have no shifting issues at all. I can crank the 12 to 35 mph
downhill; I can't imagine needing an 11.

Michael
Old July 24th 03, 08:43 PM
Matt Locker

Donald:

I use my 12-/25 set but add the 11/12/13 cogs from my 11-23 set for a
final combo of 11/12/13/15/17/19/21/23/25. The shifting between the 13
& the 15 is not perfect but it gives me both a nice high end for the
long downhills and that extra low gear for the big uphills. IMO if you
live in an area that has hills big enough for a 25 or 27, then you will
probably get enough benefit from the 11 to make it worth having.

MOO,
Matt

Old July 24th 03, 08:54 PM
Bill Davidson

Michael wrote:
I went to 12-27 Ultegra a few years ago for the extra gear (actually I
went from 8 speed Ultegra 12-23 or 24 to 9 speed Dura Ace 12-27). I
have no shifting issues at all. I can crank the 12 to 35 mph
downhill; I can't imagine needing an 11.

How about if your largest front cog is a 46?

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now