Advice on my first 'real' road bike please!

Old August 20th 03, 04:53 AM
Weezerbot

Default Advice on my first 'real' road bike please!

I'm about to lay down $1000 tomorrow for my first 'real' road bike. I
have had used bikes in the past that didn't quite fit right or were old
technology. Tomorrow is the real thing. I was hopping around the
internet when I stumbled onto this site and thought who better to ask
than fellow bikers from around the world. The bike I have picked out is
the 2004 Trek 1500. I'm getting it from my trustworthy LBD, but while I
was there I noticed that about 90% of the bikes in their shop happened
to be Treks. I asked why THEY thought I should get a Trek over a Giant
or Cannondale, and Brian rambled off a list of reasons that really sold
me. I returned home to research some more and found what could be the
real reason...the LBD Team is fully sponsored by Trek/VW (check out the
Landis Team on the Trek site). Now I know these guys and they have
helped me a lot over the past years, but it really has my mind
twirlling about this 1500. To finally end this story, before I go in
tomorrow to not only get measured, fitted, and ordered, but also lay
down my hard earned cash, I would like some opinions. I know there are
hardcore fans of either company out there, but some honest opinions
would be appreciated. It's basically the Trek 1500 vs. the Giant OCR.
Or if anyone can suggest a better bike in this price range that would
be great too!!

Old August 20th 03, 09:17 AM
Ronald

The bike I have picked out is the 2004 Trek 1500.

Why get a 2004 model? Around this time of year you can usually pick up a
2003 model higher in the range for the same money. The differences between
2003/2004 models are mostly cosmetic and sales blablabla.

Old August 20th 03, 10:53 AM
trg

There is no "better bike". Trek, Giant, Cannondale all make good products.
The best answer is which bike fits best and feels best. It's your butt
that's gonna be sitting in the saddle, not your LBS or Lance.

I agree, go for a 2003. And be sure to get a red bike, it's well known fact
that red bicycles go faster :-)

my .02?

Old August 20th 03, 01:18 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

weezerbot- I'm about to lay down $1000 tomorrow for my first 'real' road bike
BRBR

lots snipped-
I know there are
hardcore fans of either company out there, but some honest opinions
would be appreciated. It's basically the Trek 1500 vs. the Giant OCR.
Or if anyone can suggest a better bike in this price range that would
be great too!! BRBR

Easy one, get the one that fits ya...determined by a real fit, with a real fit
person. Not a 'standover, ride around the parking lot' type fit. It's pretty
hard to get a'bad' bike these days, but it is easy to get a 'bad fitting' one.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 20th 03, 02:09 PM
Jeff Starr

Weezerbot wrote in message ...
I'm about to lay down $1000 tomorrow for my first 'real' road bike. I
have had used bikes in the past that didn't quite fit right or were old
technology. Tomorrow is the real thing.

Hi, as others have mentioned, fit is number one in importance, after
that it is mostly personal preference. I do think it would be worth
finding out what the dealer has in 2003's. If he sells Trek, then he
most likely carries LeMond and Klein, both are made by Trek. Some
things to consider, are that you can always upgrade components, but
not the frame. So if your choice is between better components or a
better frame, choose the frame. My LBS allows test rides and if you
get it down to a couple of bikes, ride them. Have them base the seat
height on your current setup, set the same way on both bikes. I just
took a look at the 1500, it is a nice bike. The one bike I would ask
your dealer about, is what he has in a 2003 or 2002 LeMond. You mightr
be able to get a Buenos Aires for your money. The LeMond is a steel
frame, which may give you a more comfy ride. That is debatable and the
only way to know for sure is to ride both. I am biased towards the
LeMonds, because I just recently bought a new 2002 Tourmalet, which
has the same frame as the higher end Buenos Aires.
Bottom line, buy the bike that fits correctly and that makes you want
to ride.
Life is Good!
Jeff

Old August 20th 03, 02:35 PM
Jkpoulos7

. The one bike I would ask
your dealer about, is what he has in a 2003 or 2002 LeMond. You mightr
be able to get a Buenos Aires for your money.

Definitely worth looking into.

a Buenos Aires for your money. The LeMond is a steel
frame, which may give you a more comfy ride.

Definitely will.

That is debatable and the
only way to know for sure is to ride both.

No debate in my mind but there are a lot of great bikes in your price range.
For $1200 you can get a steel frame Jamis Quest that is far better riding than
any aluminum at that price. Remember, for a while aluminum was more exclusive
and came on "better" bikes but now aluminum is cheap (low end treks,
specializeds, etc) while quality steel Reynolds 853 and such is exclusive now
and signifies a quality bike. I own a Buenos Aires and would not ever think of
riding an aluminum frame. My bike may be a few ounces heavier than a Cannondale
with comparable components but I still can ride only limited by my abilities
not the bike's. Main thing is find something that grabs you and it will be a
great bike to you.

Old August 20th 03, 03:42 PM
dbaxmann

Go test ride a Lemond. You can get a lot of bang for your buck and a great
ride on steel for around $1000. It has a little different frame geometry
than the Trek, more comfortable in longer rides, but you will have to be the
judge of that. They make great frames/bikes. (owned by Trek) Steel vs.
Aluminun.

Old August 20th 03, 03:51 PM
Jan

On 20 Aug 2003 13:43:24 +0950, Weezerbot
wrote:

I'm about to lay down $1000 tomorrow for my first 'real' road bike. I
have had used bikes in the past that didn't quite fit right or were old
technology. Tomorrow is the real thing.

If you think tomorrow is the real thing, you are never going to be
satisfied, not matter what you buy. Think about it. It is not about
what some marketing person in Major Corporation decided you should
like, what someone else thinks about what you are riding, whether you
have the latest fa$hion $tatement, the most absurd wheel$ or who's
logo is on your jer$ey, it is about riding your bike. Isn't it?

regards,
-- Jan
Old August 20th 03, 06:13 PM
Jeff Starr

wrote:

I'm about to lay down $1000 tomorrow for my first 'real' road bike. I
have had used bikes in the past that didn't quite fit right or were old
technology. Tomorrow is the real thing.

If you think tomorrow is the real thing, you are never going to be
satisfied, not matter what you buy.

I don't believe that. He is [hopefully] going to get a bike that
properly fits him, with modern day components, why wouldn't he find
that satisfying.

Think about it. It is not about
what some marketing person in Major Corporation decided you should
like, what someone else thinks about what you are riding, whether you
have the latest fa$hion $tatement, the most absurd wheel$ or who's
logo is on your jer$ey,

He is isn't looking at top of line prestige bikes, a $1000 is a
reasonable amount to spend on a bike, in this day and time.

it is about riding your bike. Isn't it?

Well of course it is. And for a lot of people, myself included, having
a nicely equiped bike, makes me want to ride, even more. Since I got
my new bike, I have increased my distances and due to the better
equipment, I have improved my times. Their seems to be a small faction
of the biking community that thinks that if you are also into the
equipment, somehow you aren't serious about riding. This attitude of
just get any old bike, as long as it fits, and ride, dismisses another
aspect of the hobby [way of life]. I always wonder what the people who
feel this way ride. In another thread, a poster linked to pictures of
his customized Paramount. It was beautiful, modern components, custom
paint, it just screams, ride me! I look at some of the bikes at my
LBS, over my budget, the Felt Fifteen, the Trek 5500, or the LeMond
Arrivee and I would buy one immediately, if I could afford it. Would
it make me a better rider, maybe a little, better equipment will do
that. The point is, that it would make me happy and inspire me to ride
even more. Heck, my new 2002 LeMond Tourmalet, inspires me. I see it
on the bike rack, on the back of my car, and I just want to ride it.
When I got back into biking, last year, I put new tubes, tires, and a
saddle on my then 26 year old French 10-speed and rode it all summer.
This spring, I had a lot of the components upgraded. I still have and
love that bike, but it is the LeMond that I always choose to ride. so,
I think it is about riding, it is also about having a bike that
inspires and makes you happy.
By the way Jan, what do you ride?
Life is Good!,
Jeff

regards,
-- Jan

Old August 20th 03, 09:04 PM
Rick Onanian

wrote:

I'm about to lay down $1000 tomorrow for my first 'real' road bike. I

Congrats!

the 2004 Trek 1500. I'm getting it from my trustworthy LBD, but while I
was there I noticed that about 90% of the bikes in their shop happened
to be Treks. I asked why THEY thought I should get a Trek over a Giant
or Cannondale, and Brian rambled off a list of reasons that really sold

My LBS sells mostly Treks and has an employee named Brian.
Hmm. Naw, they don't have a team. Anyway...

You said trustworthy. While their reasons for selling Treks
may not all be as objective as you'd like, a trustworthy
shop wouldn't sell you a bad bike. However, because they're
not objective, they may not try hard to sell you the best
bike you can buy.

I wasn't interested in Trek when I was ready to drop $1000
on a road bike, so I bought the bike elsewhere. I felt bad
about it, because they always take care of me so well' but
if they don't have the product I want, then what good is it
to give them my money for something I didn't want?

I never bothered to build a relationship at the store where
I bought my road bike. I bring it to the same LBS I've
always gone to, and they still take care of me well.

would be appreciated. It's basically the Trek 1500 vs. the Giant OCR.
Or if anyone can suggest a better bike in this price range that would
be great too!!

I bought a Giant TCR2 instead of a Trek 1500. The shop
where I bought it was more interested in getting rid of
old inventory (it was a "last year's model special")
than fitting me, so I had a bit of a time fitting myself,
exacerbated by the fact that I bought the bike at the end
of the season when I was strong and flexible from riding,
and barely rode it until after a LONG winter; I couldn't
even get into position on it after that winter.

All in all, I'm happy with what I did and where I am now.
You will get a great bike whether you buy the Trek 1500
from your favorite shop or the Giant OCR somewhere else.

I'd say that, as a choice-maker and a tie-breaker, buy the
bike that excites you more; my brightly colored, sleek
Giant hanging on the wall calls to me and makes me want to
ride. If I had bought the boring Trek, which I wasn't too
excited about visually or test-ride-wise, then I probably
wouldn't ride half as much. If the Trek is exciting for
you, buy it.

--
Rick Onanian