Advice on my first 'real' road bike please!

Old August 20th 03, 09:32 PM
Rick Onanian

Default Advice on my first 'real' road bike please!

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:53:43 +0200, trg
wrote:
I agree, go for a 2003. And be sure to get a red bike, it's well known
fact that red bicycles go faster :-)

Bring it on! My yellow will outrun your red anyday!

Especially when I put a "Type R" sticker on it!!!

my .02?

--
Rick Onanian

Old August 20th 03, 10:13 PM
Rick Onanian

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 23:06:16 +0200, trg wrote:
Nothing wrong with yellow. I use it myself for descents. But red rules
for rolling!

How about a big, 8" coffee can exhaust tip?

Oh, wait, we're talking about bicycles.

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 21st 03, 09:41 AM
Paulus

I think what our esteemed fellow cyclist wants is our view on the
differences in frame materials and componentry.

I'm also looking for a new machine but am not considering anything with less
than Shimano 105 componentry on it. That's make my next bike a Giant TCR or
similar.

If your bike has c'fibre in it, then apparently the ride is not as harsh as
steel or aluminium. I have no idea about how quick it fatigues tho.

Alien
1980 Malvern Star BMX
1985 Raleigh Yukon
1990 Dodsun Triaction
1992 Giant Kronos
1999 Giant ATX 850

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
weezerbot- I'm about to lay down $1000 tomorrow for my first 'real' road

bike
BRBR

lots snipped-
I know there are
hardcore fans of either company out there, but some honest opinions
would be appreciated. It's basically the Trek 1500 vs. the Giant OCR.
Or if anyone can suggest a better bike in this price range that would
be great too!! BRBR

Easy one, get the one that fits ya...determined by a real fit, with a real

fit
person. Not a 'standover, ride around the parking lot' type fit. It's

pretty
hard to get a'bad' bike these days, but it is easy to get a 'bad fitting'

one.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Old August 21st 03, 02:31 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

jkpoulos- I own a Buenos Aires and would not ever think of
riding an aluminum frame. My bike may be a few ounces heavier than a Cannondale
with comparable components BRBR

It's heavy cuz of those boat anchor heavy shimano stuff on it....

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 21st 03, 05:02 PM
Rick Onanian

On 21 Aug 2003 13:34:00 GMT, Qui si parla Campagnolo
wrote:
spamski- I bought a Giant TCR2 instead of a Trek 1500. The shop
where I bought it was more interested in getting rid of
old inventory (it was a "last year's model special")
than fitting me, so I had a bit of a time fitting myself,

I'm curious as to which newsreader you have that
quotes this way. It's strange and sometimes a
bit unpleasant to the eyes. It also misspelled
my email address and used that instead of my
name, which is also in the headers.

Do you buy shoes that don't fit that are on closeout?? Then put tissue
paper in the toes to make then fit?

I didn't know anything at all about fitting a road
bike at the time, and trusted the shop. They come
highly reccommended, but I think they just didn't
care. All they did was check my standover (easy on
a compact frame!) and let me test ride it for 10
minutes (not long enough, I know now, to get a
good feel for it).

My 130mm 45 degree stem is not the bicycle
equivelant of putting tissue paper in a wrong-size
shoe. It's every bit as good as any other stem, I
just had to spend some time swapping stems, and
put on a longer front brake cable to accomodate it.

Experience behind me, now I know much better how I
fit on a bicycle, road or mountain. I will probably
build my next bike myself anyway.

Old August 21st 03, 07:36 PM
Jkpoulos7

It's heavy cuz of those boat anchor heavy shimano stuff on it.

Twnty lbs is fine for the comfort of steel and superior handling of the Lemond
geometry. I'd blame any excesst on the Brooks B17 that has finally allowed me
to enjoy cycling without ever thinking of my rear. The Shimano parts work
flawlessly and are far superior to the thumbsfting campy parts and there too
small brake hoods.
Old August 21st 03, 07:41 PM
H. M. Leary

In article om,
"Kurd" ,net wrote:

Already some of the 04 specs for the Lemonds are out. Zurich is a 853/OCLV,
the 'cross bike is 853, but so far everything else is aluminum in a *gasp*
compact geometry.

-kurd

snip

Jees! My 2003 Lemond is carbon fiber and titanium. Guess I was had.

Very fast bike, very slow rider.

HAND

Old August 22nd 03, 07:44 AM
mikem

Guy should just go get a lower end custome made Seven or IF.