Any unicyclists in the Macy's parade this year?

Old November 27th 08, 03:31 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
dudewithasock

Default Any unicyclists in the Macy's parade this year?

I recall last year seeing a big troupe of one-wheelers in the parade.
Any chance of that this year?

--
dudewithasock

'My Unicycling Journal'
officially ended.

spazdude222 wrote:
Doing good doesn't make you good any more than doing a girl makes you a
girl.

Old November 28th 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
BillyTheMountain

dudewithasock;1139178 wrote:
I recall last year seeing a big troupe of one-wheelers in the parade.
Any chance of that this year?

I guess not.

But with the upcoming helium shortage, maybe we'll e seeing more unis
and fewer balloons!

harper;1139237 wrote:
When I run short on helium-3 or helium-4 I just make a batch with the
left over deuterium we have laying around. I can make about 10,000 atoms
per second. It takes 6 trillion years to make a gram but I've got
nothing but time.

We had a grad student about ten years ago that I found in the shower
washing an unrestrained A size gas cylinder. Those are the ones that are
about shoulder high and would turn into a little rocket if they fell
over and broke their valve off. They would easily zip through the cinder
block walls of the bathroom. This made me a little nervous. I asked him
what the hell he was doing that for. He said that his adviser had told
him to wash all of the tritium off the surface. This made me a little
more nervous. I asked him what made him think that tritium was on the
surface of the bottle. He said it was a cylinder of helium-3 from a bomb
lab at Los Alamos. Oh, I thought, that's OK then. I told him he was
probably holding a million dollars worth of helium-3 and he seemed
startled. Later, when I spoke (harshly) with his adviser about the
incident, I found out that it was only half a million dollars worth of
helium-3 so there was nothing to worry about. It has probably
appreciated substantially by now.

--
BillyTheMountain

All the lower animals are Atheist, which proves reason actually has
nothing to do with Atheism.-Raphael

Rocks are atheists, air is an atheist.-DisgruntledDave
"you had no faith to lose to begin with" Bob Dylan sang these words to
my dog
Old November 30th 08, 08:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
blueharmony

I'm assuming you mean the Macy's parade in New York. Too bad 'cause
Panther Pride was in the Macy's parade in Seattle!

--
blueharmony

_________
- Kenny
-unicycle for yourself-
Old November 30th 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
peleschramm

I was in the Macy's parade...

In Seattle!

--
peleschramm

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=peleproductions
unicycle for atheism and Spencer.

www.bedfordunicycles.ca

Inventor of the Slapflip.

BillyTheMountain for President 2012
Old November 30th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
KathySusanka

RTUC got a huge amount of news coverage from America's Thanksgiving
Parade in Detroit.
'Channel 4 video, RTUC is featured in part 2 at about 13 minutes '
(http://www.clickondetroit.com/statio...42/detail.html)
'Thankful for parade traditions - Detroit News, November 28, 2008'
(http://tinyurl.com/5aheru)
'Thanksgiving parade offers a fun distraction - Detroit Free Press,
November 28, 2008 '
(http://www.freep.com/article/20081128/NEWS05/811280358)
We also made it into 8 of the 62 photos in the 'Detroit Free Press
Parade Photo Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/6jwx2c)

Anybody see us on TV?

Anybody else parade on Thanksgiving?

--
KathySusanka

The rabbit died!
Old December 1st 08, 06:09 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

Wow, great coverage for RTUC! I was amazed that *all* the Free Press
pictures containing the unicyclists were better than the single one on
the Detroit News site. Some were really, really nice ones. The riding
looks like it hasn't change in the 25 Thanksgivings since I've moved
away though. Don't you guys wave, or entertain the crowd much?

It's cool to see all those balloons in the Detroit parade. I always
thought they didn't work in most parades due to overhead wires. I wonder
if some wires have been move underground or other changes to
infrastructure had to happen before the balloons could go down Woodward
Ave. Then, in one of the Freep pictures it shows the Elmo balloon
approaching an overpass. What happens there? Maybe that was the end of
the parade?

I'll always kick myself for not making more of an effort to get into
the Macy's Parade when I lived in the NY area. We would have had to make
a video of our group doing a different parade, which was difficult due
to the very few parades we actually got a group together to ride in. Hey
Pele, do the folks in Seattle also call it the "Macy's Day Parade?"
That's a common name people use (though not Macy's) in NY...

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"False facts are frequently formed from figures fabricated from fear
fired fiction." -- Harper
Old December 4th 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
KathySusanka

There are no wires along the parade route. They must have moved them at
some time. The huge balloons are pulled down toward the ground by their
handlers to go under the People Mover. It looks like it's not going to
work but it does.

The Parade Committee initially wanted us to audition or send a tape but
we just invited them to come to another parade. Poof - we were invited
to "accept the privilege" after being excluded for 7 or 8 years. The
weather was beautiful and the parade was long.

--
KathySusanka

The rabbit died!
Old December 4th 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
idiorythmic

KathySusanka;1142598 wrote:
The weather was beautiful and the parade was long.

It also looked rather slow, did the pace make it tougher for the
giraffe riders to stay in the saddle?

--
idiorythmic
Old December 4th 08, 06:44 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

idiorythmic;1142622 wrote:
It also looked rather slow, did the pace make it tougher for the giraffe
riders to stay in the saddle?

Not to answer for Kathy, but parades are always slow. The intended pace
is walking speed, because there are lots of walkers/marchers in any
parade. But in reality there are stops and starts, and if you aren't
careful you'll find a big gap in front of your group.

At least that's what happens with unicyclists, as we often turn around
and ride the opposite way, or go in circles within our space to keep
rolling. Some parades may have, for various reasons, long stops. During
those times is when you find out if your group is really entertaining or
not, as you're in front of the same people for a while...

Old December 5th 08, 04:49 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
blueharmony

How do you mount you giraffes if you fall during a parade? I was on a
5-footer in Seattle and had to climb a "No Parking" sign to get back on
after hitting a grate. I can't imagine doing that on the higher ones!

--
blueharmony

_________
- Kenny
-unicycle for yourself-

Unicyclists for Los Angeles Area parade teachndad Unicycling 1 October 31st 07 02:49 PM
OC Parade adambrody85 Unicycling 0 March 2nd 07 07:15 PM
Macy's Parade - Unicycling Video Clip cowan Unicycling 10 November 26th 05 03:29 AM
Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade KcTheAcy Unicycling 23 November 24th 05 07:06 PM
??? about Macy's Parade and Uni bugman Unicycling 3 December 1st 03 11:00 PM