Road Unicycle Set-Up and T7 Handle Modification

Old January 8th 09, 05:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
turtle

Default Road Unicycle Set-Up and T7 Handle Modification

CoreTechs;1166895 wrote:
That's a neat idea, but I don't think the T7 seems strong enough...
Looks like it would bend at the rails pretty soon. I don't think I'd try
it.

i'll see...the other idea is, also for a better angle, turn the T7
upsidedown and weld it on a steal seatpost....

--
turtle

-'platzangst' (http://www.platzangst.com/)-
'-schlumpf-' (http://www.schlumpf.ch/)
'my vids' (http://de.youtube.com/user/Balzner) 'my pics'
(http://picasaweb.google.de/einrad2)
Old January 8th 09, 05:32 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
BoojiBoy

GizmoDuck;1166549 wrote:
Boojiboy: I've attached another photo of me riding with a short seat
extension (GB4). Notice how my elbow is almost locked at 90degrees. I
have very little leverage and it's very uncomfortable to take any weight
on my arms. Now just imagine the same position, but instead of my arms
being locked in a flexed position, that they are placed out the front on
a handlebar, with my the elbows only slightly flexed (ie like a bike).
I think forwards/backwards balance isn't going to change how much, but
it will be a lot more comfortable.

I'm sure it would be more comfortable. During the RTL time trial I
wanted to practically lay down on my T7, but just putting a little extra
weight on the front and I would have to pull back to correct. Actually,
I never thought about it much before, but when I ride, I'm holding on to
the very end of the handles, with my palms on the last inch of handle.
It seems that I would probably benefit from a longer reach like that. I
think putting your main body weight behind that center line will
definitely allow you to distribute more weight to the front for an
easier ride in the seat. I just have very little faith in those t7
rails. It's almost painful for my brain to see your mod pictures because
it's putting more leverage on an already weak point in the t7 design.
But as a prototype for a new way of riding long distances, I think
you're on to something. if that T7 had a straight tube instead of those
rails, I think my brain would hurt less.

--
BoojiBoy

Old January 8th 09, 05:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
legtod2

After seeing the modified T7 with seat in rear I ask myself :

What does this do to center of gravity?
How am I effected for freemounting and riding without hands on
handlebar?
How am I effected for idling?

Giving thought to mechanical advantage, what strain am I putting on T7
bar by moving seat to rear. It just like a crowbar prying seat post.

This is a very interesting topic/post. I'm curious to what KH is upto
for his development for a handle.

--
legtod2

Terry Fox & Trish Crandall...
my inspiration in life.
Old January 8th 09, 07:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Thanks everyone for your input.

I've modified the article on Adventure Unicyclist. It reads alot
better than my first post on this thread:
http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/?page_id=263

turtle: I ride XC Muni alot too, and I'm wondering if it would be
practical for a MUni. After all, mountainbikes aren't all that
different from road bikes. Maybe slightly more upright. I'm also
toying with the idea of having a suspension shock on the front bar, or
if it was a V-frame, on the front fork.

CoreTechs: The T7 is not the best design for this...I've never been a
fan of rails. But the principle can be applied to other designs.
Instead of a superlong front pole, use two shorter ones...front and
back. It will be stronger. That said, I'm pretty light, so hopefully it
will hold up ok.

unijuul: thanks. I've been talking about this for ages, but only just
got around to putting it all together.

turtle (re your second post). I think that would work. You could flip
it upside down and somehow bolt the seatpost onto the seatplate (it's
curved the wrong way, but nothing a bit of creativity can't fix), rather
than clamping it onto the rails. I actually wanted to clamp the new KH
seatpost onto the T7 seatplate, but Tony Melton told me it wouldn't fit
in between the rails.

Boojiboy: That was the whole point in demonstrating this concept. If
you were designing this from scratch you would get rid of the
complicated rail and seatplate system, and just use a seatplate and weld
the front/back poles onto it.

legtod2:
What does this do to center of gravity?
Nothing. It's more about hand/arm positioning than body positioning.
Some people ride with quite upright postures. This setup might not suit
them.
How am I effected for freemounting and riding without hands on
handlebar?
I never ever ride my unicycle without my hands on the handle. It's
like riding a bike with no handlebar. Fun for a while, but not very
efficient or comfortable. Freemounting is a bit weird at first, but you
get used to it.
How am I effected for idling?
I dont' know, I haven't tried idling it yet.

--
GizmoDuck

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details. www.induni.adventureunicyclist.com
The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net
The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org
Old January 8th 09, 07:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisk8r

Just logged on after a while away, and this thread is great! The "T"
frame has been invented as a cheaper alternative to making a "V" frame.

Design-wise, as folks have rightly pointed out, that's alot of stress
at the center of the "T" (i.e. at the top of the seat tube), whether
using a T7 or even a beefier arrangement.

Nonetheless, I can envision a production "T" mount with many adjustable
saddle & grip positions. It would have the seatpost built into the
center section to eliminate the rails, and that's all you need for
height adjustment. It could still have a tilt adjustment just like the
U-clamp saddle mount.

Thanks for the pics - as always, worth 1000 words!

--
unisk8r
Old January 8th 09, 08:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

GizmoDuck;1166952 wrote:
I've modified the article on Adventure Unicyclist. It reads alot better
than my first post

Maybe, but there is room for improvement, see partial screenshot.

Other than that nitpicking, you're onto something! I like the name
unisk8r came up with: the T frame.

|Filename: adventur.gif |

Klaas Bil
Old January 8th 09, 09:09 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniSano

This may be a dumb question, but couldn't one substitute a T7 for a
simular length of alloy or steel pipe? That way you could still attach
the seat to the "pipe" a the back, clamp the seat post to the center of
the pipe (possibly with some modification or block shim) and then you
have the whole front end of the pipe to work with, vary the length as
appropriate and then attach/weld bike components such as bike stems, bar
ends, aero bars etc... Just a thought? If I had any metal working
skills I'd give this a shot. Just use a length of tubing/pipe that
would fit regular bike components....hmmmm

--
MuniSano
Old January 8th 09, 09:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Klaas Bil;1167014 wrote:
Maybe, but there is room for improvement, see partial screenshot.

Other than that nitpicking, you're onto something! I like the name
unisk8r came up with: the T frame.

Yeah, I like the T-frame too...the poor mans V-frame. But anything
beats the 7-frame or worse still, the I-frame.

I don't know what browser you're using Klaas, or why my website looks
screwy on it

Old January 8th 09, 09:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

gizmoduck;1167024 wrote:
i don't know what browser you're using klaas, or why my website looks
screwy on it

IE6. For the 6 or 8 tutorial pages I just checked, only this one gives
this problem.

--
Klaas Bil
Old January 8th 09, 09:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

MuniSano;1167021 wrote:
This may be a dumb question, but couldn't one substitute a T7 for a
simular length of alloy or steel pipe? That way you could still attach
the seat to the "pipe" a the back, clamp the seat post to the center of
the pipe (possibly with some modification or block shim) and then you
have the whole front end of the pipe to work with, vary the length as
appropriate and then attach/weld bike components such as bike stems, bar
ends, aero bars etc... Just a thought? If I had any metal working
skills I'd give this a shot. Just use a length of tubing/pipe that
would fit regular bike components....hmmmm

Yep, that's the whole point of what I was doing. But I happened to
have a T7 handy, and all the backets to attach the seat out the back.