New gloves

Old August 19th 10, 09:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default New gloves

Now that the scorching weather is over, and the hot weather is almost
over, I've bought some old-fashioned mesh back riding gloves -- not
only mesh, but hand-crocheted with real cotton, and the palms are real
leather.

The sporting-goods store called them "lifting gloves", and they cost
about half what I paid for my last pair of mesh-back gloves twenty
years ago.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old August 19th 10, 11:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

Joy Beeson wrote:
Now that the scorching weather is over, and the hot weather is almost
over, I've bought some old-fashioned mesh back riding gloves -- not
only mesh, but hand-crocheted with real cotton, and the palms are real
leather.

The sporting-goods store called them "lifting gloves", and they cost
about half what I paid for my last pair of mesh-back gloves twenty
years ago.

I don't use real leather gloves, they don't handle washing well, neither
does cotton, particularly. I can't really tell the difference with good
synthetics, except they last forever.
Old August 19th 10, 12:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Kevan Smith[_2_]

On 8/19/10 3:37 AM, Joy Beeson wrote:
Now that the scorching weather is over, and the hot weather is almost
over, I've bought some old-fashioned mesh back riding gloves -- not
only mesh, but hand-crocheted with real cotton, and the palms are real
leather.

The sporting-goods store called them "lifting gloves", and they cost
about half what I paid for my last pair of mesh-back gloves twenty
years ago.

I have a pair of these that cost 12 bucks:

http://www.amazon.com/Airius-Finger-.../dp/B000AO7OS2

Love 'em.

Kevan
Old August 19th 10, 12:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B. slocomb

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 04:37:26 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

Now that the scorching weather is over, and the hot weather is almost
over, I've bought some old-fashioned mesh back riding gloves -- not
only mesh, but hand-crocheted with real cotton, and the palms are real
leather.

The sporting-goods store called them "lifting gloves", and they cost
about half what I paid for my last pair of mesh-back gloves twenty
years ago.

I believe the padding is slightly different - more centered in the
palm. Not that it makes a lot of difference :-)

Cheers,

John B.
(johnbslocombatgmaildotcom)
Old August 19th 10, 03:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
thirty-six

wrote:

Now that the scorching weather is over, and the hot weather is almost
over, I've bought some old-fashioned mesh back riding gloves -- not
only mesh, but hand-crocheted with real cotton, and the palms are real
leather. *

The sporting-goods store called them "lifting gloves", and they cost
about half what I paid for my last pair of mesh-back gloves twenty
years ago.

I believe the padding is slightly different - more centered in the
palm. Not that it makes a lot of difference :-)

Sounds good to me, I've cut off the padding from cycling mitts, the
weight-lifters gloves would probably suit me fine.
Old August 19th 10, 03:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
thirty-six

On 19 Aug, 11:12, Peter Cole wrote:
Joy Beeson wrote:
Now that the scorching weather is over, and the hot weather is almost
over, I've bought some old-fashioned mesh back riding gloves -- not
only mesh, but hand-crocheted with real cotton, and the palms are real
leather. *

The sporting-goods store called them "lifting gloves", and they cost
about half what I paid for my last pair of mesh-back gloves twenty
years ago.

I don't use real leather gloves, they don't handle washing well, neither
does cotton, particularly. I can't really tell the difference with good
synthetics, except they last forever.

I thought they tended to tear up after planting a hand on the road.
This is why I've always tried to use leather palms with cotton crochet
backs, they are robust. Oh, wash leather gloves in nothing but soap
and they last until the stitching fails after many years of use. Not
quite forever, but I have my doubts about your quoted lifespan for
synthetic gloves.
Old August 19th 10, 03:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

Joy Beeson wrote:
Now that the scorching weather is over, and the hot weather is almost
over, I've bought some old-fashioned mesh back riding gloves -- not
only mesh, but hand-crocheted with real cotton, and the palms are real
leather.
The sporting-goods store called them "lifting gloves", and they cost
about half what I paid for my last pair of mesh-back gloves twenty
years ago.

I don't use real leather gloves, they don't handle washing well, neither
does cotton, particularly. I can't really tell the difference with good
synthetics, except they last forever.

I thought they tended to tear up after planting a hand on the road.

I've only done this once, and it did tear up the gloves (and did little
to protect my hands, the main reason I wear gloves), but that was in
winter and the gloves were a thin fleece -- fleece has about 0 abrasion
resistance. The synthetics I was referring to include synthetic leather,
which wears like iron, and which I can't really differentiate from real
leather by feel.

This is why I've always tried to use leather palms with cotton crochet
backs, they are robust. Oh, wash leather gloves in nothing but soap
and they last until the stitching fails after many years of use.

I can't be bothered with hand washing, all my stuff goes in with regular
laundry. I wash my gloves frequently -- after every long ride or several
short ones. I don't find crochet gloves to be more comfortable for
wearing, and they're certainly less for wiping (I've owned many pairs).

Not
quite forever, but I have my doubts about your quoted lifespan for
synthetic gloves.

I have several pairs that are 10 years old or so. Typical of these were
the old Pearl Izumi "White Line" gloves. They used to go for under
$10/pr on sale sometimes. Eventually, the Lycra backs go a little baggy
and thin, until they finally get holes from snagging, and the piping
frays, but that's about it. Very similar to old PI shorts with synthetic
(suede leather-ish) pads. The Lycra goes thin and baggy eventually, but
the pad lasts forever. I've never had real leather bike gloves last more
than a season or 2, the leather dries up and splits, before that, they
usually stretch all out of shape.

PI made some shorts (~10 years ago), specifically for mountain biking,
though they weren't "baggies" like today's. The fabric they used was
very heavy, forming a rather coarse mesh. They were extremely
comfortable and completely indestructible. Of course they discontinued
them long ago and I've never been able to find anything close. I wore
those for many years, the synthetic suede pads are still fine.

When I need light full finger gloves, I use "mechanics gloves". They're
available online for as little as $4. All synthetic, and are extremely
tough, as you might expect. Also easy to convert to fingerless.
Old August 19th 10, 04:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Nil

On 19 Aug 2010, Kevan Smith wrote in
rec.bicycles.misc:

I have a pair of these that cost 12 bucks:

http://www.amazon.com/Airius-Finger-.../dp/B000AO7OS2

Those look almost like the ones I get from Bike Nashbar, but mine
are only $8! They're probably all made in the same Indonesian sweat
shop.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...1_10000_200493

Love 'em.

Me, too!
Old August 19th 10, 07:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Aug 19, 6:12*am, Peter Cole wrote:
I don't use real leather gloves, they don't handle washing well, neither
does cotton, particularly. I can't really tell the difference with good
synthetics, except they last forever.

I used to use leather gloves with cotton crochet on the back, but now
I too prefer synthetics.

I'm trying to eliminate as much Velcro as I can from my cycling gear
and find that I like the Adidas cycling gloves best (among half-
fingered gloves anyway). I don't know if they still make them without
Velcro, but I stocked up the last time Nashbar had them on sale.

Old August 19th 10, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
thirty-six

Joy Beeson wrote:
[...]

Well, they need a more accurate fit than elastic fabric. You've just
got to keep checking them out to find a good fit. I never had any
problem with wiping my brow, I think it must have been your laundry
detergent.

Not
quite forever, but I have my doubts about your quoted lifespan for
synthetic gloves.

I have several pairs that are 10 years old or so. Typical of these were
the old Pearl Izumi "White Line" gloves. They used to go for under
$10/pr on sale sometimes. Eventually, the Lycra backs go a little baggy
and thin, until they finally get holes from snagging, and the piping
frays, but that's about it. Very similar to old PI shorts with synthetic
(suede leather-ish) pads. The Lycra goes thin and baggy eventually, but
the pad lasts forever. I've never had real leather bike gloves last more
than a season or 2, the leather dries up and splits, before that, they
usually stretch all out of shape.

That's what 'regular' laundry detergent does to leather, think what it
will be doing to your skin. It just does not occur when soap is
used. Soap flakes are simple to use in an automatic machine, just
throw all your cycling gear in when you get back from a ride and a
handful of flakes. It's only when you overdose does the machine sud
up.

PI made some shorts (~10 years ago), specifically for mountain biking,
though they weren't "baggies" like today's. The fabric they used was
very heavy, forming a rather coarse mesh. They were extremely
comfortable and completely indestructible. Of course they discontinued
them long ago and I've never been able to find anything close. I wore
those for many years, the synthetic suede pads are still fine.

When I need light full finger gloves, I use "mechanics gloves". They're
available online for as little as $4. All synthetic, and are extremely
tough, as you might expect. Also easy to convert to fingerless.

Abrasion resistant, not cut resistant, I know.