Sheldon Brown's Interbike Report and Podcasts

Old October 3rd 05, 10:27 PM
Sheldon Brown

Default Sheldon Brown's Interbike Report and Podcasts

I've completed my report from Las Vegas, including photos.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/lasvegas/2005/

There's also an audio (podcast) show report and a very nice interview
with Grant Petersen at:

http://sheldonbrown.com/podcasts

Sheldon "All The News That Fits" Brown
Newtonville, Massachusetts
+----------------------------------+
| Good health is nothing but the |
| slowest way to die. -Les Barker |
+----------------------------------+
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old October 4th 05, 02:09 AM
Victor Kan

Sheldon Brown wrote:
a very nice interview
with Grant Petersen at:

http://sheldonbrown.com/podcasts

Thanks for posting your interview!

One comment I have is with respect to your discussion about frame tubes
and how current bikes look misproportioned.

I've had the opposite reaction recently. My bikes are either a fat
steel monotube recumbent (Bacchetta Strada) or an Aluminum DF
(Specialized Sequoia) with some fattish tubes (not Cannondate fat though).

A couple of weeks ago, I took my wife's old MTB off the hook in the
garage to refurb it so she can ride it. It's a Bridgetstone steel
framed bike and the tubes looked like soda straws to me!

I guess it's all a matter of what we're accustomed to rather than some
innate, pleasing proportions.

--
I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
legitimate replies.
Old October 4th 05, 03:28 AM
rkoreis

So what about the painted woman?

Where's the photo of her? =8-

Bob Koreis

Old October 4th 05, 06:54 AM
Luke

Default Sheldon Brown's Interbike Report and Podcasts 650B movement thoughts

In article , Sheldon Brown
wrote:

I've completed my report from Las Vegas, including photos.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/lasvegas/2005/

There's also an audio (podcast) show report and a very nice interview
with Grant Petersen at:

http://sheldonbrown.com/podcasts

Excellent work! I found myself empathizing with much of Grant
Peterson's sentiments, but Rivendell's introduction of the Bleriot and
his 650B (584mm rim) aspirations are largely baffling - particularly,
in light of his penchant for favoring practicality over exotica. Save
for retrofitting tight wheel clearance 700c frames (enabling larger
tires and fenders), what would compel one to adopt such an arcane
standard leave alone base a contemporary frame around it?

It offers no significant advantages over existing 700c(622mm)/MTB 26"
(559mm) bikes. I believe Grant Peterson concedes as much: in Sheldon's
interview he states,"there's nothing really magic about the [wheel]
size..." I suppose it can be considered a compromise; but the dubious
benefits are gained at the expense of rim and tire selection.

Luke
Old October 4th 05, 06:58 AM
Luke

In article , Luke
wrote:

In article , Sheldon Brown
wrote:

[...]

Whoops, after posting I realized there was already a thread on this
subject: 650B - 584mm tires (Was: Interbike)
Old October 4th 05, 10:37 PM

the pugsley is an interesting concept applied to general touring.
we all look forward to more development along the same lines for
carrying equipment onboard
and a range of tires for various conditions-sand, forest soils,
continental divide!
say sheldon-did you check the tire's "air" pressures?

Old October 5th 05, 11:02 AM
Luke

In article NiL0f.4378$U%5.3446@lakeread05, Phil, Squid-in-Training

the pugsley is an interesting concept applied to general touring.

General touring?

we all look forward to more development along the same lines for
carrying equipment onboard
and a range of tires for various conditions-sand, forest soils,
continental divide!
say sheldon-did you check the tire's "air" pressures?

Sounds more like this is intended for snow, sand, and show

Regardless of how well the Pugsley fares in the marketplace, the
thoroughness of its designers is impressive: it's the ultimate
two-wheeled tribute to utility. And quite inventive technically: offset
hubs featuring no dish wheels (IIRC from Sheldon's podcast) and
interchangeable front and rear wheels. Still, when first confronted
with photos of the donut wheeled Pugged one, the first impression was
that it was John Deere's attempt at breaking into the bicycle market:
it *looks* so heavy and ungainly (not so reported test rider Sheldon in
his podcast).

But Surly's ethos is refreshing: It offers value rather than marketing
bafflegab for the money and with a versatile model range (Long Haul
Trucker, Cross Check, 1 X 1, Pacer) it really does try to appeal to a
wide variety of the cost conscious. Of course, such an unassuming
marquee doesn't curry much favor with the high zoot carbon and gravity
propelled extremer glitterati; but when has cycledom's glamor boys ever
concerned themselves with such concepts as value and practicality?

Luke
Old October 5th 05, 04:50 PM
Fritz M

Luke wrote:

But Surly's ethos is refreshing: It offers value rather than marketing
bafflegab

You're kidding me, right?

I'm year-round all-weather commuter. Surly has great product and I
think the Pug is a cool bike, but the Pug is *all* about marketing.
Look at all the free buzz that Surly has received by building this
bike. I'd be interested in knowing how much their web traffic and
dealer inquiries have increased since they showed this bike at EICMA
and Interbike and whatever other shows they went to this year.

RFM

Old October 5th 05, 06:32 PM
Derk

Sheldon Brown wrote:

I've completed my report from Las Vegas, including photos.

How come we didn't see this one?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...14/jd05vegas01

Greets, Derk