Odd bike with reverse bottle dynamo

Old January 21st 08, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark T[_2_]

Default Odd bike with reverse bottle dynamo

Bottle dynamos - all they do is suck power and make a funny noise. Today I
saw a reverse bottle dynamo; one that ADDS power. The working mechanism
sits stealthily over the front wheel - might be good for the peeps worried
about their TT times

www.flickr.com/photos/86862441@N00
Old January 21st 08, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Zog The Undeniable

Mark T wrote:
Bottle dynamos - all they do is suck power and make a funny noise. Today I
saw a reverse bottle dynamo; one that ADDS power. The working mechanism
sits stealthily over the front wheel - might be good for the peeps worried
about their TT times

The French used roller-drive petrol engines over the front wheel for
years; maybe they still do. The obvious disadvantage was that you were
sitting in the fumes.
Old January 21st 08, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TerryJ

On 21 Jan, 20:29, Mark T
pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_ reply*.com.invalid
wrote:
Bottle dynamos - all they do is suck power and make a funny noise. Today I
saw a reverse bottle dynamo; one that ADDS power. The working mechanism
sits stealthily over the front wheel - might be good for the peeps worried
about their TT times

www.flickr.com/photos/86862441@N00

I asked about this kind of thing recently and it was suggested that
this is not legal in UK. Where did you see it?
Terry J
Old January 22nd 08, 12:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
vernon[_2_]

wrote:
Bottle dynamos - all they do is suck power and make a funny noise. Today
saw a reverse bottle dynamo; one that ADDS power. The working mechanism
sits stealthily over the front wheel - might be good for the peeps
worried
about their TT times

www.flickr.com/photos/86862441@N00

I asked about this kind of thing recently and it was suggested that
this is not legal in UK. Where did you see it?
Terry J

One of my colleagues has one and he rode it to work once. I'm not sure if
he did it legally though.....

Old January 22nd 08, 12:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark T[_2_]

I asked about this kind of thing recently and it was suggested that
this is not legal in UK. Where did you see it?
Terry J

Manchester, on the same road wot has those car-impaling bollards (speaking
of which, guess what I saw impaled on a bollard last week evil laugh).
If I ever see it trundling around again I'll ask the rider about it.
Old January 22nd 08, 03:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Rob Morley wrote:
It's perfectly legal to use in the UK if you register, tax and insure
it, have a valid license and wear a helmet

and it complies with Construction and Use regulations for whatever class
of motor vehicle is appropriate. I've not checked, but I would be
unsurprised if it didn't (I see no lights, indicators, etc, and would
suspect that they're required)

-dan
Old January 22nd 08, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Thomson

"Rob Morley" a écrit:

Lights aren't required if the vehicle isn't used at night,
indicators I'm not sure about - it used to be you could
use a bulb horn and hand signals on a trials bike.

It used to be the case that indicators, if fitted, had to be functional, but
weren't compulsory. I remember my brother removing the broken indicators
from his 125cc motorbike prior to an MOT test.

Googling finds:

http://www.motuk.co.uk/mcmanual_150.htm

If direction indicators are fitted they must meet the requirements of this
inspection, but need not be fitted to a machine which:

- cannot exceed 30mph / 50kph, or
- was first used before 1 August 1986, or
- 'off road' machines which are designed to carry only the rider.
- 'off road' machines with side car designed to carry the rider and one
passenger in the side car.

James Thomson

Hub or Bottle dynamo? Agzee UK 53 August 15th 07 07:53 AM
AXA HR bottle dynamo connector charles UK 6 August 3rd 07 09:23 PM
bottle dynamo recommendation Ric UK 17 December 15th 03 10:22 AM
Bottle dynamo noise Colin Blackburn UK 11 November 10th 03 08:14 PM