Tosser no.2

Old April 22nd 05, 09:19 AM
Tim Hall

Default Tosser no.2

Last night I dreamt of Mandalay.

No that's not right.

Last night I was waiting to turn right out of the industrial estate
where I work. I was about to go when I saw a car approach downhill
from the left at a bit of a lick, so I waited until he'd cleared the
junction.

He indicated right to turn into the industrial estate and then wham!
hit the front of my bike. I really don't remember whether I hit the
ground or not (I was waiting at the junction, one foot on the pedal
ready to go). The biggest shock was seeing this car coming straight
at me.

I wasn't hurt at all. The bike has a warped front wheel and I think
the forks are bent. No sign of buckled paint/tubes round the head
tube.

I unholstered the F gun (1) and let the driver have a magazine. He was
very apologetic but didn't understand my joke about "I bet you didn't
see me". I think he was scared (him 5' 4 , me 6' and furious). He
said he'd pay for any damage, shpxvat right you will I told him.

A crowd gathered outside a nearby factory, either they saw it or had
been brought out by the noise. I'll go and check today.

I got a lift home with my orquer de vache where we all had a look at
the forks. A phone call to Mercian this morning suggests they are
bent but they can possibly retrack the forks. I'll post them off for
an expert opinion.

And relax.

Tim
(1) The F gun fires not bullets but goes shpx shpx shpxvgl shpx at
130dB.
Old April 22nd 05, 09:48 AM
Jeremy Collins

Tim Hall wrote:

He indicated right to turn into the industrial estate and then wham!
hit the front of my bike. I really don't remember whether I hit the
ground or not (I was waiting at the junction, one foot on the pedal
ready to go). The biggest shock was seeing this car coming straight
at me.

I wasn't hurt at all. The bike has a warped front wheel and I think
the forks are bent. No sign of buckled paint/tubes round the head
tube.

Sorry to hear that, at least you're OK. There seems to be a lot of
it about at the moment, I wonder if the onset of sunny weather makes
people more careless. (Not that I'm blaming you, but I'd include
cyclists in this; I've been known to daydream a bit while enjoying
perfect cycling weather).

(1) The F gun fires not bullets but goes shpx shpx shpxvgl shpx at
130dB.

.... and is reloaded by watching Tarrantino films, presumably?

--
jc

Remove the -not from email
Old April 22nd 05, 09:18 PM
andrew carver

"Tim Hall" wrote in message
snip
I think he was scared (him 5' 4 , me 6' and furious).

Are you sure about this bit?

As I was informed in another thread that "I don't think any motor driver is
likely to be intimidated by a cyclist"

I didn't like to post back that since I am 6'4" I can be quite intimidating
lest anyone think I am a thug.

Glad your OK, and hope you get your wheels sorted. Do I gather that the
driver did a U turn using the junction you were waiting to get out of and
ran straight into you?

Andrew

Old April 23rd 05, 01:40 AM
Andy Morris

andrew carver wrote:

As I was informed in another thread that "I don't think any motor
driver is likely to be intimidated by a cyclist"

Once they are out of the car, they tend to feel smaller and realize that
they have been siting on thier arse and you are warmed up.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

Old April 23rd 05, 07:31 AM
Dave Kahn

Andy Morris wrote:
andrew carver wrote:

As I was informed in another thread that "I don't think any motor
driver is likely to be intimidated by a cyclist"

Once they are out of the car, they tend to feel smaller and realize that
they have been siting on thier arse and you are warmed up.

That's right. It's only while sitting in a mobile steel box weighing
over a ton that they have the feeling of invulnerability. Once they step
out of their portable territory the situation is somewhat reversed. The
outdoors is the cyclist's territory, and the average cyclist is in much
better physical condition than the average motorist.

--
Dave...

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the
future of the human race. - H. G. Wells
Old April 23rd 05, 09:44 AM
Al C-F

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 20:18:02 GMT, "andrew carver"
wrote:

As I was informed in another thread that "I don't think any motor driver is
likely to be intimidated by a cyclist"

As long as they stay within the safety of their cars. With the doors
locked.
Old April 23rd 05, 10:12 AM
Tim Hall

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 20:18:02 GMT, "andrew carver"
wrote:

"Tim Hall" wrote in message
.. .
snip
I think he was scared (him 5' 4 , me 6' and furious).

Are you sure about this bit?

As I was informed in another thread that "I don't think any motor driver is
likely to be intimidated by a cyclist"

I didn't like to post back that since I am 6'4" I can be quite intimidating
lest anyone think I am a thug.

Glad your OK, and hope you get your wheels sorted. Do I gather that the
driver did a U turn using the junction you were waiting to get out of and
ran straight into you?

Not quite. I was waiting to trun right out of a minor road. He turned
right into the same minor road. He cut across the corner and/or got
his line wrong.

------------------------
c c c
---------| Xc |--------
| |
| |
| |

I'm the X. His track is the c.

(Not to scale!)

Tim
Old April 23rd 05, 10:21 AM
Simonb

Tim Hall wrote:

------------------------
c c c
---------| Xc |--------
| |
| |
| |

I'm the X. His track is the c.

I can't understand how he managed not to see you. He'd have to at least look
to make sure he was actually pointing into the junction.

Old April 23rd 05, 10:28 AM
Tony Raven

Simonb wrote:
Tim Hall wrote:

------------------------
c c c
---------| Xc |--------
| |
| |
| |

I'm the X. His track is the c.

I can't understand how he managed not to see you. He'd have to at least look
to make sure he was actually pointing into the junction.

Probably hidden by the usual urban camouflage of a hi-vis jacket ;-)

Tony

Old April 23rd 05, 11:07 AM
Tim Hall

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:28:44 +0100, Tony Raven
wrote:

Simonb wrote:
Tim Hall wrote:

------------------------
c c c
---------| Xc |--------
| |
| |
| |

I'm the X. His track is the c.

I can't understand how he managed not to see you. He'd have to at least look
to make sure he was actually pointing into the junction.

You and me both.

Probably hidden by the usual urban camouflage of a hi-vis jacket ;-)

As it happens I wasn't wearing a hi-vis, I tend not to during daylight
- this was at 17:40 ish, so bright day.

I spoke yesterday to one of the people who gathered outside their
factory to watch. He said they'd checked to see where the afternoon
sun was wrt to the driver's path and that it was nowhere near.

Tim

Tosser wafflycat UK 38 April 23rd 05 09:42 AM
Cyclist rant: back in black John UK 1099 March 18th 05 12:09 PM