RAAM vs. TDF

Old July 26th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default RAAM vs. TDF

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 12:31:39 -0000, Qui si parla Campagnolo
wrote:

One of the owners of RAAM is a customer of mine and their
testing is both rigorous and frequent during RAAM.

I find this hard to believe, due to cost. Are the results of the
testing published? What rules do they use to decide what is banned?
--
JT
****************************
Old July 27th 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

On Jul 26, 5:31 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo
wrote:
On Jul 25, 11:11 pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

In article . net,
"Callistus Valerius" wrote:

Now having watched both RAAM and TDF, the biggest difference between the two
races is at RAAM the first guy across the finish line wins. In the TDF it
could be the second, third or fourth guy across the finish line. The tdf
always keeps you guessing on who really won, maybe that's why many consider
it better than RAAM, because of the uncertainty.

Dumbass:

this doesn't happen in RAAM because their testing regime is nonexistent.

Not exactly One of the owners of RAAM is a customer of mine and their
testing is both rigorous and frequent during RAAM. BUT the difference
is that RAAM riders welcome testing whereas racers in the european
peloton view it as an inconvenience and a chore..cuz they may get
caught!!!! Bunch of ******s. I hope they all lose their jobs and pro
cycling in Europe disappears.

Assuming this is true, I apologize for my earlier joke, which I
thought contained at least a kernel of truth.

In fact, I go with JT's explanation as well: doping for RAAM would be
only slightly less dumb than Cat 4 doping, or beer league softball
doping (oh, you know it's happened, don't you?)

I don't hope pro cycling disappears, and I doubt it will. Sponsors may
drift away, leading to lower team budgets, reduced rider salaries, and
more dubious sponsors (you'll know the era has arrived when
Goldenpalace gets a Div III team...). But there's a lot of races in
Europe that are just going to happen because they're a huge local
happening. Even if it was only 20 un-salaried Belgians riding around
the houses, Paris-Roubaix would go on.

Think of pro cycling with cyclocross-sized crowds and you're getting
there.

RAAM Zebee Johnstone Australia 21 June 21st 07 03:16 AM
RAAM is over. Crescentius Vespasianus Racing 2 June 23rd 06 09:35 PM
Van Zee out of RAAM ! Callistus Valerius Racing 2 June 10th 06 06:51 AM
RAAM John Kellenberger Racing 0 March 26th 06 07:16 PM
RAAM on TV again wafflycat UK 0 March 9th 05 06:26 PM