Fuji Tourer now in Australia

Old June 4th 04, 03:06 AM
Koon Yong

Default Fuji Tourer now in Australia

wrote:
Wow, that's one hell of a discount Koon, so if they are giving
you that much discount, they'd still have to make something out
of it..........makes wonder what the actual profit margin average
is per bike.
I guess also that it's mainly the add-ons that make the difference as
well, most people when buying a bike will spend extra on cycling
clothes, bidons,lights, upgraded components and not to mention helmets.
If you've bought a tack bike, then you haven't got the extra cost of
gearing...am I right? what would that bike you've bought cost with
tiagra STI shifeters, Deore rear etc?
But still. good buying Koon, hope you really enjoy your new
bike.......regards.DJ
--

At the end of the day a RRP is still a RECOMMENDED price. The bike shop
can charge whatever they want within reason. If you have a goo

I'm not sure I get you with the add ons. i was comparing the RRP fro
Fuji in the US and from the distributor here regarding the Track and th
Tourer bike

It seems to me that the tourer is much more inflated ... which seem
really weird coz anybody these days can get online and check out wha
the bike costs in the states ... and after seeing how much more thi
particular model costs compared to another (within the same brand),
probably wouldn't buy it knowing that it could be alot cheaper. I.e
somebody somewhere is taking a lot more of my money then they should be
But that's just my opinion ... people buy what they think is worth thei
money and I have no problems with that

Regarding the track bike ... check out the KHS, Bianchi USA and Fuj
websites. All these brands have basic track bikes and you'll notice tha
their entry level ROAD bikes aren't that much more expensive. From
manufacturer's point of view, it doesn't cost alot to have gears et
since they buy everything in bulk. In some cases it might even cost mor
to produce a track bike since the frames are different and will b
produced in much smaller quantities. Not to mention, the cranks an
wheels are different too and those will also be produced in much smalle
quantities

BTW, the fuji bike is great ... I suspect the tourer will be
great bike too

Cheers Koo

-

Old June 5th 04, 01:41 AM
Till

Koon Yong wrote:

BTW, the fuji bike is great ... I suspect the tourer will be a
great bike too.

Bit off the track here, but really Im pretty shocked about how much some
of the tourers available cost. I had a local framemaker build me up a
lovely frame from scratch, and they did a great job for the price. The
other excellent bit was you can then specify *everything* yourself, not
having to make do with whatever they feel like padding this season's
model with.

The builders were Quantum in Perth/WA.

till
Old June 5th 04, 06:02 AM
D&M Johnston

"Till" wrote in message
Koon Yong wrote:

BTW, the fuji bike is great ... I suspect the tourer will be a
great bike too.

Bit off the track here, but really Im pretty shocked about how much some
of the tourers available cost. I had a local framemaker build me up a
lovely frame from scratch, and they did a great job for the price. The
other excellent bit was you can then specify *everything* yourself, not
having to make do with whatever they feel like padding this season's
model with.

The builders were Quantum in Perth/WA.

till

Yeah Till, an excellent suggestion about getting a frame built with the
rider's specs, and I have considered it myself.
May I ask you, did you get your bike made up as a full blown tourer, what
specs did you request and if it's not too impolite, what was the final cost
of the bike when received?
Do you do much in the way of fully loaded touring or mostly commuting?
I'm actually surprised that here in Australia, that because there are not
many touring bikes avail on our market in comparison to the US or UK, that
some of the more well known frame makers don't try to make up an Australian
tourer like in the old days when many bikes were in fact made here instead
of manufactured in the cheaper asian countries.In the US for example, they
have the Bruce Gordon tourers which are very popular and built to last and i
think they actually specialize just in touring bikes and accessories like
racks, panniers etc.Trek has also got the 520 tourer which is hand made in
the US, but it's around US$1,200 there and Aus $2,399 here.

I'd say one good thing about getting one made up is that yu can specify your
gearing straight off without having to upgrade or change what is on offer as
you stated.

Thanks for sharing this info and suggestion Till

Cheers DJ

Old June 5th 04, 03:59 PM
Till

D&M Johnston mrjay@(no spam)bigpond.com wrote:

May I ask you, did you get your bike made up as a full blown tourer, what
specs did you request and if it's not too impolite, what was the final cost
of the bike when received?

The frame was $1550 for 853 for the main triangle, with 725 for stays.
They usually use 531, and that is a bit cheaper iirc. The bike was built
by the now-defunct gordos in perth.

Do you do much in the way of fully loaded touring or mostly commuting?

Right now it is a commuter, I cant seem to find a holiday for it dammit.

I'd say one good thing about getting one made up is that yu can specify your
gearing straight off without having to upgrade or change what is on offer as
you stated.

Yeah, for me that was the kicker. I didnt want ali so steel was the
choice. Snapped up some bar end shifters, deore 48/36/26 cranks, mavic
T520 rims, xt brakes (with travel agents) and tubus racks =)

Thanks for sharing this info and suggestion Till

No problem,

till