Bullhorn bars

Old May 31st 04, 12:59 AM
suzyj

Default Bullhorn bars

Finally got around to putting the bullhorn bars I'd bought on ebay
month or so ago on my fixed gear. It was a tad more involved than I'
anticipated, and necessitated a couple of trips to the LBS to get bits
On the first (after trying every road brake lever I had kicking aroun
and not being happy with the way the cables went) I bought some Di
compe bullhorn brake levers. The second trip involved me trying t
explain to the bemused LBS guy that my brake cables didn't fit, an
describing an obscure brake cable that I needed that had a disc shape
end with the cable coming out the side, rather than the normal pea
shaped end. How was I to know that it's a mountain bike brake cable
Like as if I own any mountain bikes

Anyway, once these little issues were sorted, I bunged them on, tape
them up, and went for a nice Sunday morning ride. They really are cool
Before, I felt really lopsided climbing hills with only one brake hoo
to hang on to. Now I just grab the bars and go. Very good gear. Totall
comfy and just feel right

Only hassle is the cable inner that caused the LBS guy all the mirt
is Shimano XTR (in Campy outer, of course), on an otherwise Shiman
free bike..

Regards

Suz

-

Old May 31st 04, 01:15 AM
eddiec

suzyj wrote:
Finally got around to putting the bullhorn bars I'd bought on ebay a
month or so ago on my fixed gear. It was a tad more involved than I'd
anticipated, and necessitated a couple of trips to the LBS to get bits.
On the first (after trying every road brake lever I had kicking around
and not being happy with the way the cables went) I bought some Dia
compe bullhorn brake levers. The second trip involved me trying to
explain to the bemused LBS guy that my brake cables didn't fit, and
describing an obscure brake cable that I needed that had a disc shaped
end with the cable coming out the side, rather than the normal pear
shaped end. How was I to know that it's a mountain bike brake cable?
Like as if I own any mountain bikes!
Anyway, once these little issues were sorted, I bunged them on, taped
them up, and went for a nice Sunday morning ride. They really are cool.
Before, I felt really lopsided climbing hills with only one brake hood
to hang on to. Now I just grab the bars and go. Very good gear. Totally
comfy and just feel right.
Only hassle is the cable inner that caused the LBS guy all the mirth
is Shimano XTR (in Campy outer, of course), on an otherwise Shimano
free bike...
Regards,
Suzy

Glad to hear you got yours on ok! I did a similar exercise a few week
back on my commuter mtb and it was similarly tricky - primarily becaus
i was also mounting the existing v-brake levers and shifter pods on th
bullhorns and cable length was only JUST long enough! But I do love th
way they look - v. purposeful

So, any photos now that they're on?

-

Old May 31st 04, 01:41 AM
Brian Watson

"eddiec" wrote in message
.. .
suzyj wrote:

[ ...]

So, any photos now that they're on??

I'll second that call! I read your frame building page with awe and love
the end result. But there was something about the single hood that was not
quite right. Photos of the horns pretty please?

Brian.

Old May 31st 04, 03:30 AM
flyingdutch

suzyj wrote:
on an otherwise Shimano free bike...
Suzy

"The force is strong in this one, Emporer" Darth Vader - the tru
exponent of carbon fibr

-

Old May 31st 04, 04:41 AM
Phillip Brown

On Sun, 30 May 2004 23:59:57 +0000, suzyj wrote:

Only hassle is the cable inner that caused the LBS guy all the mirth
is Shimano XTR (in Campy outer, of course), on an otherwise Shimano
free bike...

Regards,

Suzy

IIRC you can get 'double-ended' cable inners, with a campy stop on one
end and a shimano stop on the other end - just cut off the end you don't
need - like http://www.branfordbike.com/brake/brk5.html#item3 (scroll
down a little). It may not be a campy part - but at least it won't be a
shimano part.

phillip brown
Old May 31st 04, 08:30 AM
ritcho

suzyj wrote:
...on an otherwise Shimano free bike...
Regards,
Suzy

Umm, where can I get this Shimano free bike - all the ones in the sho
cost heaps of money

Ritc

-

Old May 31st 04, 10:06 AM
NickZX6R

--

My new roadie is absolutely Shimano-free but I have to confess, I got some
XTR cables cheap and replaced a gunky corroded cable on the MTB and the

Just don't tell anyone about it

--
Nick
Old May 31st 04, 12:45 PM
wassupdawg

Nickzx6r wrote:
Just don't tell anyone about it

umaaah:

the tifosi frown in your directio

-

Old June 8th 04, 12:29 AM
suzyj

So, any photos now that they're on?

Hope you lot are satisfied. Now you've gone and made me clean my bike

Anyways, have a look at

http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~sjackson/Bullhorns_1.jp
http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~sjackson/Bullhorns_2.jp
http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~sjackson/Disclaimer.jp

Cheers

Suz

-

Old June 8th 04, 12:34 AM
DRS

"suzyj" wrote in message

So, any photos now that they're on??

Hope you lot are satisfied. Now you've gone and made me clean my bike!

Anyways, have a look at:

http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~sjackson/Bullhorns_1.jpg
http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~sjackson/Bullhorns_2.jpg
http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~sjackson/Disclaimer.jpg