First Singlespeed Commute

Old June 8th 04, 05:45 AM
hippy

Default First Singlespeed Commute

Originally posted by Koon Yong I waited 2 mths for that ring and th
distributor kept spending one in the wrong BCD. Finally, we said ?%&
this, and that was the end of that

I've heard similar stories before.. so I guess it applies to Oz too

Anyway, I now run 44x16 with slicks (almost 1.5 years now)... it's
very doable gearing and not as tough as you might think

Are there many hills in Kuala Lumpur? I wanted to keep the GT on the lo
side for improving my spin and because it does get used off-road a bit

If Vegemite/UndieSoiler gets built soon enough I can leave the GT'
gearing alone and use the bigger gearing on the fixie.

hipp

-

Old June 8th 04, 05:45 AM
hippy

Originally posted by flyingdutch Heck, Im even thinkun of doing the 'Hippy-cum
courier' thang and getting a FUX bag as rack pannier is a pain for s
much out-of-saddle stuf

Copycat from Ballarat! :

Backpacks, etc. are heaps better than panniers, unless the load you nee
to carry doesn't fit in a backpack

hipp

-

Old June 8th 04, 05:45 AM
Koon Yong

flyingdutch wrote:
You forgot to mention you live in a hill-less part of Melbourne
I tried 42x16 on my project SS (the wheel is going great. tanx!) but
have gone back to a 38T and put some slicker tyres on. now i just need
some narrower rims than the Rhyno that was on it so I can go back to
using my Fatboys again
Heck, Im even thinkun of doing the 'Hippy-cum-courier' thang and getting
a FUX bag as rack pannier is a pain for so much out-of-saddle stuff

Yes Dutchy

I do admit that my commute is rather hill-less ... but I have done mor
"hilly" rides on the weekend and they've gone fine. It all boils down t
spinning. the faster you can spin, the less it hurts

How big are the fatboys? I run a 1.7 on that same rim ... had a 1.6 onc
too I believe

Cheers Koo

-

Old June 8th 04, 06:00 AM
Koon Yong

hippy wrote:
Originally posted by Koon Yong

Are there many hills in Kuala Lumpur? I wanted to keep the GT on the low
side for improving my spin and because it does get used off-road a bit.
If Vegemite/UndieSoiler gets built soon enough I can leave the GT's
gearing alone and use the bigger gearing on the fixie..
hippy

errr ... I don't live in KL ... I'm right here in Melbourne Australia

But I have been to KL and there are some nice slopes in the country ..
but road conditions are pretty bad, so fatter tyres are a must IMO

Cheers Koo

-

Old June 8th 04, 06:30 AM
hippy

Originally posted by Koon Yong errr ... I don't live in KL ... I'
right here in Melbourne Australia

My bad.. I confuzzed you with "EoinC" because he was talking abou
fixies in KL the other day. Apologies. Now I have to re-read this threa
without thinking about foreign traffic and foreign hills.. :

hipp

-

Old June 8th 04, 07:14 AM
Shane Stanley

In article ,
Koon Yong wrote:

Your legs will
adjust to the gearing and eventually your knees won't hurt anymore. On
most days, I feel more strain on my calfs then I do in my knees ...

You guys really konw how to make this sound like fun...

--
Shane Stanley
Old June 8th 04, 09:00 AM
hippy

Originally posted by Shane Stanle
In article , Koon Yon
wrote: Your legs will adjust to th
gearing and eventually your knees won't hurt anymore. On most days,
feel more strain on my calfs then I do in my knees ..

You guys really konw how to make this sound like fun..

Who said anything about fun? This is all about PAIN

Welcome to the M half of cycling's own S&M club.. ;-) (The S half i
getting your mates into it...

hipp

-

Old June 8th 04, 09:00 AM
flyingdutch

Koon Yong wrote:
Yes Dutchy,
I do admit that my commute is rather hill-less ... but I have done more
"hilly" rides on the weekend and they've gone fine. It all boils down to
spinning. the faster you can spin, the less it hurts.
How big are the fatboys? I run a 1.7 on that same rim ... had a 1.6 once
too I believe.
Cheers Koon

a skinny 1inch. As Bald as an ALP candidate for Kingsford-Smith

-

My first commute to London Bob UK 24 April 29th 04 08:51 AM
First ride in on my singlespeed. David Brown :o\) UK 0 April 23rd 04 10:36 AM
Record Time Commute AGAIN! Lee UK 35 September 4th 03 09:05 PM
Day 3 - Unfit person decides to commute 6 miles to work Lee UK 17 August 15th 03 10:54 AM