"Bicycles Should Not be Allowed on Footpaths"

Old July 17th 08, 04:35 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default "Bicycles Should Not be Allowed on Footpaths"

From: [a Marin County resident]
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:40:54 -0700
Subject: Mt.bikes on trails

I have lived in Marin County for 50 years, seeing firsthand the rise
of, and impact from, mountain bicycling. I am an equestrian and
hiker. I am sorry to tell you that, by allowing mt.bikes on
inappropriate trails in the first place, you let the camel's nose into
the tent and the rest of it is half-way in.
Despite the written "rules" of IMBA for mt.bikers, we have seen to
our dismay that there are NO controls on bicycles out in the
preserves, parks, or other public lands. Speed limits? Don't make me
laugh! Signs? Regularly stolen or defaced. After almost being
skidded into, I had the mt.biker tell me he was going too fast to read
the signs (3 of them!) saying "no bicycles." Alternate days usage, or
"bikes uphill only" rules?? Forget that -- you need 24x7 enforcement
to make it work. Education? Ha! We had one prominent mt.biker,
Michael More, recently caught for the SECOND time, building illegal
bike trail on public land -- this time, in China Camp State Park; the
first time, federal (GGNRA) land.
If mt.bikes are allowed, you are heading for accidents and perhaps
a fatality on these steep, narrow trails -- as has happened elsewhere
in California and as the mt.bikers desperately want people to ignore
and forget about. When mt.bikers are on narrow trails, foot traffic
and equestrians go elsewhere -- they are displaced.
Bicycles should not be allowed on footpaths, also called singletrack
trails, because of the overwhelming safety hazards they present to
other users -- the elderly, the hard-of-hearing, young families,
equestrians. We can share wide (8 ft. and wider) trails where there
is room to jump aside and where sight-lines are generally longer. Note
that the bike rider is not disenfrancised -- s/he can always hike
these footpaths. It's only the vehicle that is restricted.
What can be done for those who still want to shred the trails in
pursuit of their personal best, is to help them locate private
property where they can sign a lease agreement that will allow them to
build whatever hazards, jumps, etc., they want -- and disregard the
damage to the environment.
I urge you to immediately ban mountain bicycle use of your steep
footpaths.
Sincerely, [a Marin County resident]

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old July 17th 08, 02:20 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Siskuwihane[_2_]

Default "Horses Should Not be Allowed on Footpaths"

From: [a Marin County resident]
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:40:54 -0700

I have lived in Marin County for 50 years, seeing firsthand the rise
of, and impact from, mountain bicycling. *I am an equestrian and
hiker. *

Animals should not be used as vehicles, especially when people can
always WALK! I have yet to meet ANYONE who cleans up after their horse
deficates in the middle of a path or trail. Why are people so SELFISH,
making an animal carry them?
Old July 17th 08, 03:25 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment

On Jul 17, 9:20*am, Siskuwihane wrote:
Animals should not be used as vehicles, especially when people can
always WALK! I have yet to meet ANYONE who cleans up after their horse
deficates in the middle of a path or trail. Why are people so SELFISH,
making an animal carry them?

I find the ankle twisting hoof prints to be more of a pain than the
droppings, myself.
Old July 17th 08, 03:28 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

From: [a Marin County resident]
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:40:54 -0700

I have lived in Marin County for 50 years, seeing firsthand the rise
of, and impact from, mountain bicycling. *I am an equestrian and
hiker. *

Animals should not be used as vehicles, especially when people can
always WALK! I have yet to meet ANYONE who cleans up after their horse
deficates in the middle of a path or trail. Why are people so SELFISH,
making an animal carry them?

It's better than using motor vehicles or mountain bikes. For people
with disabilities, it may be their only access to wilderness.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old July 17th 08, 04:07 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Siskuwihane[_2_]

From: [a Marin County resident]
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:40:54 -0700

I have lived in Marin County for 50 years, seeing firsthand the rise
of, and impact from, mountain bicycling. *I am an equestrian and
hiker. *

Animals should not be used as vehicles, especially when people can
always WALK! I have yet to meet ANYONE who cleans up after their horse
deficates in the middle of a path or trail. Why are people so SELFISH,
making an animal carry them?

It's better than using motor vehicles or mountain bikes. For people
with disabilities, it may be their only access to wilderness.

Wrong.

NO animal should be used as a vehicle for a human, a point you seem to
be avoiding, that's not surprising considering your documented habit
of avoiding the TRUTH. A horse doesn't ask to carry around a human,
dummy.

Wildlife doesn't want what is "better" for selfish people, they want
what's BEST for them and that means not having their lives interupted
or habitat destroyed by people who have to bring huge animals into
their environment for their own pleasure.

Old July 17th 08, 06:07 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bruce Jensen

On Jul 17, 8:07*am, Siskuwihane wrote:

NO animal should be used as a vehicle for a human, a point you seem to
be avoiding, that's not surprising considering your documented habit
of avoiding the TRUTH. *A horse doesn't ask to carry around a human,
dummy.

Wildlife doesn't want what is "better" for selfish people, they want
what's BEST for them and that means not having their lives interupted
or habitat destroyed by *people who have to bring huge animals into
their environment for their own pleasure.-

Epithets aside, I'm with you - but I don't like bikes on footpaths
either.

Bruce Jensen
Old July 17th 08, 06:44 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Siskuwihane[_2_]

On Jul 17, 1:07*pm, Bruce Jensen wrote:
On Jul 17, 8:07*am, Siskuwihane wrote:

NO animal should be used as a vehicle for a human, a point you seem to
be avoiding, that's not surprising considering your documented habit
of avoiding the TRUTH. *A horse doesn't ask to carry around a human,
dummy.

Wildlife doesn't want what is "better" for selfish people, they want
what's BEST for them and that means not having their lives interupted
or habitat destroyed by *people who have to bring huge animals into
their environment for their own pleasure.-

Epithets aside, I'm with you - but I don't like bikes on footpaths
either.

I do not like bikes on them either, especially when I am on a "hiking
only" trail. I am perfectly willing to let them have their own trails
or share the trail on "multi-use" paths, in which case, I have a
choice to be there and share or go somewhere else.

FWIW, I will be purchasing a mountain-bike (as soon as my 'bent is
sold) in the future. NOTHING Michael J. Vandeman has written will
dissuade that descision, in fact, he has had the opposite affect on me
due to his extreme narrow views and inabilty to have a rational
debate. I would tend to think he has that affect on more people than
he realizes.

Old July 18th 08, 01:36 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Siskuwihane wrote:
FWIW, I will be purchasing a mountain-bike (as soon as my 'bent is
sold) in the future.

There is no rule against have both a 'bent and an ATB, you know.

NOTHING Michael J. Vandeman has written will
dissuade that descision, in fact, he has had the opposite affect on me
due to his extreme narrow views and inabilty to have a rational
debate. I would tend to think he has that affect on more people than
he realizes.

Indeed; every time Mikey V. posts, I feel like promoting riding bicycles
off road.

"People who had no mercy will find none." - Anon.
Old July 18th 08, 01:41 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

From: [a Marin County resident]
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:40:54 -0700

[...]

There isn't much that's more selfish than working in the airline
industry. Or denying people with disabilities the right to visit the
wilderness they pay for.

they want
what's BEST for them and that means not having their lives interupted
or habitat destroyed by people who have to bring huge animals into
their environment for their own pleasure.

Horses are domesticated animals, not wildlife.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande