Carbon frame bent

Old October 18th 04, 09:58 PM
Bladesy

Default Carbon frame bent

After receiving advice from this newsgroup I've taken the plunge and bought
my first bent.

I've just acquired an old Optima Cheetah on which I'll be commuting 25 miles
per day through most of the winter (if I can stand the weather).

It's my first bent and I'm hooked - after only a week I'm already matching
my times on a diamond frame.
However, the bent dies on the hills because it's so heavy.

I'm now wondering if buying a carbon frame bent will be a viable option next
spring.
I'm thinking that maybe I could buy a carbon frame-set and build up the
running gear myself.

Other options would be to buy a Velokraft Racer 2 (anyone had experience of
it?) after reading a review on Bentonline, or a front wheel drive Royale by
Cobrabikes.

Perhaps there are manufacturers I've never heard of which produce carbon
frames?
Making my own carbon frame looks like too much hassle.

Anyone any experiences/advice?

Thanks in advance.

Old October 18th 04, 11:09 PM
Mark Leuck

"Bladesy" wrote in message
After receiving advice from this newsgroup I've taken the plunge and

bought
my first bent.

I've just acquired an old Optima Cheetah on which I'll be commuting 25

miles
per day through most of the winter (if I can stand the weather).

It's my first bent and I'm hooked - after only a week I'm already matching
my times on a diamond frame.
However, the bent dies on the hills because it's so heavy.

I had the same problem with my Vision but at that time it was because of me
that the bike was heavy

I'm now wondering if buying a carbon frame bent will be a viable option

next
spring.
I'm thinking that maybe I could buy a carbon frame-set and build up the
running gear myself.

You sound like I did last year

Other options would be to buy a Velokraft Racer 2 (anyone had experience

of
it?) after reading a review on Bentonline, or a front wheel drive Royale

by
Cobrabikes.

Might want to try a low-racer like M5, Challenge Jester or (my favorite)
Optima Baron instead then if you want more go for the Velokraft

Perhaps there are manufacturers I've never heard of which produce carbon
frames?
Making my own carbon frame looks like too much hassle.

Anyone any experiences/advice?

M5 makes a carbon fiber low-racer, might check that out

Old October 19th 04, 02:09 PM
Robert Haston

First there is the obligatory: losing a few pounds of your own frame is much
cheaper than buying a carbon bike frame.

If the hills are short, you would make better overall time getting a fairing
(despite the added weight) as your downhill speeds would improve markedly,
carrying you up much of the next hill.

Old October 19th 04, 08:38 PM
Mikael

"Bladesy" wrote in message ...
Other options would be to buy a Velokraft Racer 2 (anyone had experience of
it?) after reading a review on Bentonline, or a front wheel drive Royale by
Cobrabikes.

Yes, I swapped my VK1 to a VK2 shortly after Kamil started selling it.
Since I'm a cheapskate mine weighs 12 kg with the tailbox. However it
flies up hills... forget frontfairings... less weight really matters
here and you will feel it. (I've fitted two portly bikes with front
fairings and such and they were no help up hills.)

Old pic of it here (last fall)... looks a little different nowadays
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...25828133QVGvyW

What do you need it for though? The VK2 is a good racer and for long
rides (380 km in 24 hours so far) and can even be used for touring
with a two-wheel trailer.(Radical Cyclone). The tailbox holds enough
for long dayrides and brevets.
But tireselection is limited so its not a winterbike (in snow and ice
I mean) and on the Freeline2 offset fork at least fitting a
frontfender would require some finaggling.

And if you need it for spring now would probably be a good idea to
order as I think both Velokraft and Cobrabikes take several months to
produce their frames.

/M.
Old October 19th 04, 09:20 PM
Bladesy

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the picture link Mikael, the bike looks great.
I've a couple of thousand more questions, but I'll keep it to these:

How practical do you find the VK2?
Can you adjust the seat angle?
What's the ride like without suspension?
Is it possible to fit a rack?
If you don't mind me asking, how much did the tailbox cost? Is it heavy? Is
it easy to put on and take off?
What's it like at low speeds?
How tough is the carbon frame?

My diamond frame was the lightest and best bike I could afford to commute 25
miles a day, and doubled up for future time trialing and light touring at
weekends.

Ideally, a new bent would have the same multi-role - I like to go fast, but
when commuting I need to carry a change of clothes etc.

Thanks,

Bladesy.

"Mikael" wrote in message
om...

Old October 20th 04, 03:41 AM
Tom Sherman

Mikael wrote:

Old pic of it here (last fall)... looks a little different nowadays
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...25828133QVGvyW ...

I am stumped by your choice of background for the bike in this picture.

--
Tom Sherman - Curmudgeon and Pedant

Old October 20th 04, 01:30 PM
Jack Davis

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Mikael wrote:

Old pic of it here (last fall)... looks a little different nowadays
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...25828133QVGvyW ...

I am stumped by your choice of background for the bike in this picture.

--
Tom Sherman - Curmudgeon and Pedant

Obviously he wanted to show the root of the situation.

Old October 20th 04, 04:44 PM
Jeff Wills

Mikael wrote:

Old pic of it here (last fall)... looks a little different nowadays
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...25828133QVGvyW ...

I am stumped by your choice of background for the bike in this picture.

You wood, woodn't you?

Jeff "Woodchuck" Wills
Old October 21st 04, 01:55 PM
Mikael

Mikael wrote:

Old pic of it here (last fall)... looks a little different nowadays
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...25828133QVGvyW ...

I am stumped by your choice of background for the bike in this picture.

If a tree fell on Tom would anyone care if RaNs was miscapitalized? ;o)

Btw. Ian if you haven't left the thread already I mailed the answers
to your questions to the e-mail addy in your post. So I hope it isnt bogus.
If it is mail my spammail and I'll forward a copy.

Cheers
Mikael
Old October 22nd 04, 01:58 AM
Tom Sherman

Mikael wrote:

Old pic of it here (last fall)... looks a little different nowadays
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...25828133QVGvyW ...

I am stumped by your choice of background for the bike in this picture.

If a tree fell on Tom would anyone care if RaNs was miscapitalized? ;o)

Mikael,

Not if it was the mightiest tree in the forest, and cut down with a herring.

P.S. Are you getting a NoCom?

--
Tom Sherman - Curmudgeon and Pedant