Cracked Trek frame and warranty question

Old November 30th 03, 03:38 AM
Kevin

Default Cracked Trek frame and warranty question

I discovered my Trek 2300 ('99 model) frame is cracked where the down
tube and seat tube meet the BB. After discovering the crack it
appears that part of it had been cracked for some time as it was dirty
at the crack and some of it was fresh bright alum.

My question is this: has anyone had a Trek frame claim and how did
they treat you? Also, does anyone know if I can upgrade to a OCLV
frame under this warranty?

Thanks,

Kevin
Old November 30th 03, 01:38 PM
psycholist

"Kevin" wrote in message
om...
I discovered my Trek 2300 ('99 model) frame is cracked where the down
tube and seat tube meet the BB. After discovering the crack it
appears that part of it had been cracked for some time as it was dirty
at the crack and some of it was fresh bright alum.

My question is this: has anyone had a Trek frame claim and how did
they treat you? Also, does anyone know if I can upgrade to a OCLV
frame under this warranty?

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin,

I've had experience with two warranty frame replacements with Trek. Well,
actually, one was a warranty repair ... the other was a replacement. Both
were OCLV frames. The repair went quite smoothly, but I had to be without a
bike for two weeks. The replacement was very impressive. My frame had
become out of alignment somehow. They sent a replacement to my dealer and I
didn't have to be without a bike except for the half day it took the dealer
to swap out parts from the old frame to the new.

Be sure to work it through your dealer. Make the dealer deal with them.
That's the way Trek wants it to work. I've heard that individuals trying to
deal direct don't have as much luck.

Finally, my experiences with Trek were several years ago now. I hope you
have similar experience.

Bob C.

Old November 30th 03, 04:35 PM
Don Wiss

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 08:38:40 -0500, psycholist wrote:

"Kevin" wrote in message

My question is this: has anyone had a Trek frame claim and how did
they treat you? Also, does anyone know if I can upgrade to a OCLV
frame under this warranty?

Be sure to work it through your dealer. Make the dealer deal with them.
That's the way Trek wants it to work. I've heard that individuals trying to
deal direct don't have as much luck.

And be sure it is a good dealer that owes you something. The Trek dealer
where I bought my bike was no longer convenient to where I moved. The local
Trek dealer was R&A Cycles in Brooklyn. So I had my regular dealer
disassemble the bike. I took the frame to Phil. After many months of
pestering him he finally got a replacement. But since I hadn't given him
the fork, he removed the fork that Trek sent him. The new frame was a 820
and the cracked one was an 800. Of course the old fork didn't fit. Phil
claimed he no longer had the fork he took off. After numerous calls to Trek
I got a couple more forks that didn't fit. After the time reached around to
a year the dealer that had disassembled the bike went bust and some of the
parts disappeared. So I ended up with no bike, a new frame, a bunch of
non-fitting forks, and a bunch of other parts. Someday they will all make
it to recycle-a-bicycle. Needless to say I will not do business with R&A.

Don donwiss at panix.com.