Back in the saddle

Old February 2nd 06, 08:54 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default Back in the saddle

Six weeks since I saw the light of day on the old Switchblade. Wife made a
lunch date with me yesterday and said 'lets go for a bike ride"......so we
did. We spent a little over an hour riding the path along the ACDC flood
control and it felt oh so incredibly good.

Of course there's always a down side....Phoenix is having some of the worse
pollution in history right now and I woke up this morning rather stuffed up.
Then I spent two hours in the CT scanner and being stuffed in an MRI ring (I
can't imagine a big guy fitting in this thing).....after having a two foot
long needle (maybe it was three feet?) shoved into my shoulder to inject
some nucular (thanks GWB) waste. Damn I think that hurt more than breaking
my clavicle! Now I have a two week wait to see what the MRI images show.

It's still a little too soon to be riding the rocky trails.

Gary

Old February 2nd 06, 09:09 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Is it turning into LA there and are the Tubes still calling
it home.

Old February 2nd 06, 09:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

GeeDubb wrote:
[...]

Good, bad, and ugly.
That first ride back, even if you're a mere shell, is sweet ain't it?
I took a quick parking lot spin on a new Switchblade last weekend. I
can't tell much about an MTB in 3 minutes in a parking lot, but I was
impressed by the new SRAM gripshift stuff. I had the original version
which, you know, worked, but the new shifter has a much different feel
-- spring activated rather than simple friction. The shifts were
bangin' too.
Dumb question, but what is it in Phoenix that causes all the pollution?
Is there a lot of manufacturing/refining going on, besides the regular
rush hour car smog? Lack of trees maybe?
I once fell asleep in an MRI scanner. But I could probably sleep
through an nucular war.

/s

Old February 2nd 06, 09:28 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"Scott Gordo" wrote in message
oups.com...

GeeDubb wrote:
[...]

Phoenix is in a valley thus the name....valley of the sun. Being a valley
we get temperature inversions that keep the warmer, polluted air down on the
ground. Most of the pollution is particulate matter from the surrounding
farms, construction and of course, auto traffic (FBR golf turney drumming up
real traffic congestion this week). This year is bad because the jet stream
has stayed way North which means little wind, no rain now for a record
number of days and daytime heating of the ground with the air aloft being
cold trapping the warm air...I think I said that?

Gary (arm is still throbbing from that four foot long needle)

Old February 2nd 06, 09:29 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"Freddy" wrote in message

Is it turning into LA there and are the Tubes still calling
it home.

Not familiar with "Tubes"?????

Yep, little LA but no outlet to beaches.

Gary
Old February 2nd 06, 09:32 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

GeeDubb wrote:
[...]

Cool. I haven't ridden either of my MTBs since before you got hurt
either! But I have had other activities to entertain me. I did look at
the bikes while grabbing some loaner ski gear out of the garage the
other day.

I've experienced the pre-MRI big needle in the shoulder too and I didn't
care for it either. Then I almost hurled in the MRI truck (ours is a
truck so we can share it with other rural communities). That would have
been kind of funny, because apparently TJ maintains that truck, so he
would have been dealing with my chunks. Luckily I made it outside before
erupting. Ah, good times...

Glad to hear you're somewhat back anyway.

Matt
Old February 2nd 06, 09:34 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

GeeDubb wrote:

"Freddy" wrote in message

Is it turning into LA there and are the Tubes still calling
it home.

Not familiar with "Tubes"?????

Yep, little LA but no outlet to beaches.

Gary

I saw them play a show with Utopia in about 1983. It was, like, totally
awesome!

Matt (I doh wanna work, I just wanna bang on da drum all day!)
Old February 2nd 06, 10:46 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

GeeDubb wrote:
Six weeks since I saw the light of day on the old Switchblade. Wife
made a lunch date with me yesterday and said 'lets go for a bike
ride"......so we did. We spent a little over an hour riding the path
along the ACDC flood control and it felt oh so incredibly good.

Of course there's always a down side....Phoenix is having some of the
worse pollution in history right now and I woke up this morning
rather stuffed up. Then I spent two hours in the CT scanner and being
stuffed in an MRI ring (I can't imagine a big guy fitting in this
thing).....after having a two foot long needle (maybe it was three
feet?) shoved into my shoulder to inject some nucular (thanks GWB)
waste. Damn I think that hurt more than breaking my clavicle! Now I
have a two week wait to see what the MRI images show.
It's still a little too soon to be riding the rocky trails.

Coolness. When I had my shoulder surgery, I took my first "ride-let" 6
weeks to the day after (was told 3 months). Few days later I was truckin'
up (and down) the Anderson Truck Trail -- no one tell my doc!

Bill "it only hurts when I use it" S.

Old February 2nd 06, 11:14 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

MattB wrote:
GeeDubb wrote:

"Freddy" wrote in message

Is it turning into LA there and are the Tubes still calling
it home.

Not familiar with "Tubes"?????

Yep, little LA but no outlet to beaches.

Gary

I saw them play a show with Utopia in about 1983. It was, like, totally
awesome!

Matt (I doh wanna work, I just wanna bang on da drum all day!)

Wrong Matt. Bang on the Drum was Todd Rundgren. The Tubes sang:

Talk to You later
She's a Beauty

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old February 2nd 06, 11:57 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
MattB wrote:

GeeDubb wrote:

"Freddy" wrote in message

Is it turning into LA there and are the Tubes still calling
it home.

Not familiar with "Tubes"?????

Yep, little LA but no outlet to beaches.

Gary

I saw them play a show with Utopia in about 1983. It was, like,
totally awesome!

Matt (I doh wanna work, I just wanna bang on da drum all day!)

Wrong Matt. Bang on the Drum was Todd Rundgren. The Tubes sang:

Talk to You later
She's a Beauty

D'oh, I should have cross-checked on allmusic. But I was thinking that
was Utopia, not The Tubes. checks allmusic Hey wait, that WAS Rungren
in Utopia! So I was right, but just not clear about which band I was
attributing that to. I knew they played that at the show, and like I
said it was totally awesome!

Matt (I really do just want to bang on the drum, or ride, or ski)