Drugstore Athlete

Old August 2nd 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
JessicaG

Default Drugstore Athlete

FYI: a New Yorker article from 2001 about drugs in competitive sports I
found interesting and timely:

http://www.gladwell.com/2001/2001_08_10_a_drug.htm

Old August 2nd 06, 06:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bret

JessicaG wrote:
FYI: a New Yorker article from 2001 about drugs in competitive sports I
found interesting and timely:

http://www.gladwell.com/2001/2001_08_10_a_drug.htm

Thanks. That was a good read.

Bret

Old August 2nd 06, 06:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
chester

JessicaG wrote:
FYI: a New Yorker article from 2001 about drugs in competitive sports I
found interesting and timely:

http://www.gladwell.com/2001/2001_08_10_a_drug.htm

all that did was make me doubt the validity and quality of the testing
even further. I was beginning to have my doubts about FL, but now I
think I doubt the tests more, especially considering the section about
Ben Johnson.

thanks great article.
Old August 2nd 06, 07:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Gabe Brovedani

chester wrote:
JessicaG wrote:

FYI: a New Yorker article from 2001 about drugs in competitive sports
I found interesting and timely:

http://www.gladwell.com/2001/2001_08_10_a_drug.htm

all that did was make me doubt the validity and quality of the testing
even further. I was beginning to have my doubts about FL, but now I
think I doubt the tests more, especially considering the section about
Ben Johnson.

thanks great article.

Charlie Francis' "Speed Trap" is a great read on the drug culture of the
most doped sport on planet earth - Track and Field. Bodybuilders are
friggen' amateurs compared to the boys and girls of the rubber oval.

If you think that the tests have problems, take a look at the sports
governing associations. Do a web search for "USOC suppressing drug
positive track field."

Gabe Brovedani
Old August 2nd 06, 08:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

good read

Old August 2nd 06, 10:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simon Brooke

in message , Gabe
Brovedani ') wrote:

chester wrote:
JessicaG wrote:

FYI: a New Yorker article from 2001 about drugs in competitive sports
I found interesting and timely:

http://www.gladwell.com/2001/2001_08_10_a_drug.htm

all that did was make me doubt the validity and quality of the testing
even further. I was beginning to have my doubts about FL, but now I
think I doubt the tests more, especially considering the section about
Ben Johnson.

thanks great article.

Charlie Francis' "Speed Trap" is a great read on the drug culture of
the
most doped sport on planet earth - Track and Field. Bodybuilders are
friggen' amateurs compared to the boys and girls of the rubber oval.

If you think that the tests have problems, take a look at the sports
governing associations. Do a web search for "USOC suppressing drug
positive track field."

That's depressing.

quote cite="http://www.wndu.com/sports/092000/sports_3866.php"
"This is the usual thing," Pound said. "Athletes always say, `It's not
possible,' followed by, `There must be some mistake in the sample,'
followed by, `I must have got it from the toilet seat,' followed by,
`Here's a writ for $12 million from my lawyer.' "It's a very classic
profile."
/quote

Landis is now in phase three.

;; may contain traces of nuts, bolts or washers.
Old August 2nd 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RonSonic

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 00:32:19 -0400, "JessicaG" wrote:

FYI: a New Yorker article from 2001 about drugs in competitive sports I
found interesting and timely:

http://www.gladwell.com/2001/2001_08_10_a_drug.htm

Interesting quote that goes to a point I made earlier:

Athletes have now switched from injection to transdermal testosterone patches,
which administer a continuous low-level dose of the hormone, smoothing over the
old, incriminating spikes. The patch has another advantage: once you take it
off, your testosterone level will drop rapidly, returning to normal, depending
on the dose and the person, in as little as an hour. "It's the peaks that get
you caught," says Don Catlin, who runs the U.C.L.A. Olympic Analytical
Laboratory. "If you took a pill this morning and an unannounced test comes this
afternoon, you'd better have a bottle of epitestosterone handy. But, if you are
on the patch and you know your own pharmacokinetics, all you have to do is pull
it off."

Ron

Old August 3rd 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"JessicaG" wrote in message
FYI: a New Yorker article from 2001 about drugs in competitive sports I
found interesting and timely:

http://www.gladwell.com/2001/2001_08_10_a_drug.htm

Let's get serious for a minute - in the 60's and 70's the same people who
are now decrying drugs in sports were downing "recreational" drugs made,
distributed and obtained illegally. Most of the people on this group think
absolutely NOTHING about smoking marijuana and yet tell us about drugs in
sports as if they had even a clue about it.

The very people who scream the loudest are those whose personal use of
illegal drugs was or is the highest.

How do you propose to find the truth out about anything when these people
are willing to assuage their own guilt by claiming their own failures in
others?

Old August 3rd 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

JessicaG wrote:
FYI: a New Yorker article from 2001 about drugs in competitive sports I
found interesting and timely:

http://www.gladwell.com/2001/2001_08_10_a_drug.htm

One of the most interesting things in this article is the mention of
Thyroxine. The hormone produced by, what's that? The thyroid gland.

Hey wait, did we not just learn that Floyd has a thyroid problem and
takes thyroxine?:
"thyroxine, the synthetic thyroid hormone used by athletes to speed the
metabolism and keep people lean."

Wake up folks.

Armstrong Wins AP Male Athlete of the Year Diablo Scott Racing 0 December 28th 05 11:46 PM
An athlete with guts Bill C Racing 6 September 20th 05 11:47 PM
An athlete with incredible skill and class retires. Bill C Racing 3 February 6th 05 10:56 AM
Freddy goes Bob Schwartz Racing 10 July 9th 04 11:25 PM