I miss Jobst

Old April 13th 11, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

Default I miss Jobst

On 4/12/2011 2:49 AM, Çhâlõ Çólîñã wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

Will you look online, using a hand-carved, hand-wired computer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_I

Couldn't help but think of it.

Chalo

Adjusted for official US government inflation [1], the Apple I circuit
board would be $2,600 in 2011 dollars.

[1] Which is a crock, but that is another subject.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old April 13th 11, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Chalo wrote:
David Scheidt wrote:
Chalo wrote:

:I used to pay a surcharge for American made goods, like shoes and
:housewares. Now they are scarcely to be found at any price.

Nonsense. Maybe not if you insist on shopping at China-mart, but both
those are made in the USA. Certain classes of electronics aren't made
in the US, sure, but just about everything else is.

I wear US-made overalls, mostly from Tennessee or Oklahoma where they
still believe people my size exist. (You tell me whether that makes
them First World products, because it isn't self-evidently so). Some
of my shirts are Carhartt and possibly made in the USA, but Carhartt
is no longer an exclusively American manufacturer. Same with Red Wing
and Carolina shoes. The Converse shoes I wore in days of yore are now
Chinese made, but my feet probably wouldn't tolerate them anyway. Not
so long ago, most commodity T-shirts were made in USA; now most of the
T-shirts I have are Pakistani or Indian made. At least they are truly
big and tall, because American industry is not doing so well in that
regard.

These look super virtuous and aren't even too expensive, but they are
unimaginatively sized so I have to look elsewhe
http://www.sosfromtexas.com/about.htm

For my kitchen, I can still get rugged plastic tumblers made in
Houston, just like the ones at the pizza joint. I have no real use
for plastic tumblers, and Houston isn't obviously better off for
having plastic product manufacturers there. I do buy American made
mason jars, though.

Durable stainless steel cookware made in USA? That's a nice thought.
Chicago Cutlery doesn't live up to its name anymore. (Camillus?
Gone.) Paul Revere warned us about the British, but he forgot to
mention that Revere Ware would be coming from Indonesia.

Bringing it back to bikes, who am I supposed to buy from if I want US-
made bike supplies? Phil Wood? Paul? Chris King? Those are
extravagances, not bike parts. Wald stuff is still US-made, and I use
some Wald parts here and there. But that junk only goes so far.

The median wage for a man in Texas is $12/hour. The median wage for a
woman in Texas is $10/hour. These people don't have to shop at
Hellmart, but they can't afford locally tailor-made clothing or Phil
parts for their custom recumbents.

Most of us don't have strong objections to any place of origin as long
as the goods are inexpensive and good enough to do their job. Soon
enough, goods that don't have to travel very far will be at a great
advantage (provided transportation subsidies don't rise to distort the
market). Until then, you can endeavor to build a material lifestyle
on rare exceptions to the rule, but it's a lot of work for no
detectable reward. I gave up on that a while ago.

American manufacturing didn't get offshored because it wasn't
feasible; it was taken away because corporate management decided that
promised at least slightly higher profits in the short term. Paying
more than the minimum to get what you need tends to play into the
hands of the same interests.

Chalo

I've ridden my bike past the very active Red Wing plant in
Red Wing Minnesota.
http://www.shoestoboot.com/pages.cfm?ID=12

Chalo, if you enlist in the Army they will give you a pair
of USA made Red Wings, free.

Here's more info:
http://www.usstuff.com/shoes.htm

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old April 13th 11, 12:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Chalo wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
Chalo wrote:
L.H. Thomson is an Ayn-Randroid bloviating butthole. Should
Tennesseeans be proud to "buy local" from a social Darwinist
dicktard?

Mr Thomson, who I was proud to call a friend, is dead.

He was determined to make quality products in USA and was,
in my opinion, very successful at that.

What's next, carping that Enrico Fermi never worked the line
at a soup kitchen? Sheesh, in a world full of chiseling
parasites who make nothing useful, you chose Thomson as a
target?

I guess you feel better about social Darwinism (or perhaps
dicktardism) than I do. Making really good quality seatposts (and
they are really good) is not enough to offset that for me. Note my
earlier mention of Dov Charney, a political liberal and a somewhat
principled American manufacturer who also makes my dicktard list.

It should go without saying that the brilliant Signore Fermi's work
has not proven to be an asset to humanity on the whole. But I'll say
it to you anyway, since you might not have thought too hard about
that. How much better off would we all be if he'd worked in a kitchen
instead? (Side order of iodine-131 with that, and supersize it!)

Chalo

One may like and respect someone without sharing all their
opinions. Take you & I for example.

Old April 13th 11, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Apr 12, 12:46*am, Chalo wrote:
Dan O wrote:

Would you pay more to a seller who stocks only first-quality and will
do the right thing? *(I do.) *How about just to support a merchant
that you like. *Buy local worth anything?

Service is inherently local. *Goods never are (for the purposes of
this discussion).

Even Portlanders who smugly buy Chris King products because they are
"local" ignore the fact that Chris King relocated from Northern
California to dodge taxes and labor protection laws. *How righteous is
that? *L.H. Thomson is an Ayn-Randroid bloviating butthole. *Should
Tennesseeans be proud to "buy local" from a social Darwinist
dicktard?

Oregon is a tax hell. I couldn't imagine moving any company here.
And what labor protection laws are being dodged, being that Oregon is
subject to the FSLA like every other state and has a higher minium
wage than California?

Also, we do not smugly buy Chris King because it is local, being that
the prices are the same here as anywhere else -- and "freshness"
doesn't count with metal parts. I think we have the same smugosity as
anyone else when it comes to buying Chris King. I was smug about
buying Phil Wood because I knew Phil. I don't know Chris, although I'm
sure he's a fine young man.

I AM smug about beer, being that it is on tap and freshness does count
-- and coffee. You can only dream of our coffee and beer. Christmas
trees, too. And maybe salmon and crab. I'm sure our Mexican food is
not nearly as good as yours, though. You can be smug about that.

While few things or people live up to your expectations, remember that
at least Ayn Rand wrote some books and LH Thomson made seatposts. They
did not sit around carping, except for Ayn in her books, and then she
was getting paid for it.

Everyone loves to stomp their feet and point fingers, but when it
comes to running a business, being a boss, paying employees, hiring,
firing, etc., etc., decisions are made that people do not like. And
like I always say, give up your paycheck, open a business, hire
employees, raise a family (with college expenses) and then report back
in 20 years. I bet you will smell just a little bit Republican by
then. -- Jay "Overseer" Beattie.

Old April 13th 11, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Jay Beattie wrote:
On Apr 12, 12:46 am, Chalo wrote:
Dan O wrote:

[...]

Did you say beer?
How about a startup sold out to The Big Guys:

http://beerandwhiskeybros.com/2011/0...-in-his-pints/

makes some folks want to... well, read it.

Old April 13th 11, 01:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

nest winter, throw another log on and read this old boiler

http://www.google.com/search?q=the+m...&tbm=bks&tbo=1

Old April 13th 11, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

New Balance, according to NB, are made in the US and offered online

Old April 13th 11, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

where's the Squirrel ? .They eat him or what ?

Old April 13th 11, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Apr 12, 6:33*am, James wrote:

We regularly hand assemble prototypes. *The success rate and
reliablility is variable, depending on the type of components being used
in the design.

Makes me nostalgic for the days when a hammer was a tool, and
magnafluxing was magic.

God, I hate SMT.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Amps at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information for the tube audio
constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site containing vital gems of
wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Old April 13th 11, 04:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Apr 12, 5:45*pm, AMuzi wrote:
Jay Beattie wrote:
On Apr 12, 12:46 am, Chalo wrote:
Dan O wrote:

[...]

http://beerandwhiskeybros.com/2011/0...rewmaster-greg...

makes some folks want to... well, read it.

We have toilets in our beer bars and rarely use the glasses. We have
bikes in our bars, too. http://blog.oregonlive.com/thebeerhe...orks_tour.html
(scroll down a little) Some of those frames look pretty nice, although
they're probably broken somewhere. -- Jay Beattie.

Jobst Phil H Techniques 83 July 13th 11 12:53 AM
Jobst- we mightl never know Cicero Venatio Racing 8 February 12th 11 08:23 AM
When Jobst ... Steve Freides[_2_] Techniques 1 January 20th 11 09:28 PM
Jobst Brad Anders Racing 20 January 19th 11 05:31 PM
Jobst TriGuru55x11 Rides 1 January 19th 11 01:13 PM