Thread-Locker for Deore Rear Derailer?

Old June 2nd 11, 04:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

Default Thread-Locker for Deore Rear Derailer?

Took the cage apart/jockey wheels out [1] on a recent model Deore rear
derailer. There is a red substance on the threads which visually
resembles thread-locking compound. If I tighten the machine screw on
reassembly to the point when the hex key is bending, will the screws
likely stay in, or should I apply new thread-locker?

[1] Ask not why.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old June 2nd 11, 04:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Jun 1, 11:12*pm, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
Took the cage apart/jockey wheels out [1] on a recent model Deore rear
derailer. *There is a red substance on the threads which visually
resembles thread-locking compound. *If I tighten the machine screw on
reassembly to the point when the hex key is bending, will the screws
likely stay in, or should I apply new thread-locker?

I'd use blue thread lock compound. You've got nothing to lose; it
works, but disassembles easily.

The red stuff usually requires heat to disassemble, which makes me
wonder if that's really what you're looking at.

- Frank Krygowski

Old June 2nd 11, 04:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Tºm Shermªn™ °_° wrote:
Took the cage apart/jockey wheels out [1] on a recent model Deore rear
derailer. There is a red substance on the threads which visually
resembles thread-locking compound. If I tighten the machine screw on
reassembly to the point when the hex key is bending, will the screws
likely stay in, or should I apply new thread-locker?

I've serviced plenty of my own when the bushes were not ceramic, and
never used a threadlock compound on them, and never had a bolt come loose.

[1] Ask not why.

Not why?

--
JS
Old June 2nd 11, 07:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Op 2-6-2011 5:12, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° schreef:
Took the cage apart/jockey wheels out [1] on a recent model Deore rear
derailer. There is a red substance on the threads which visually
resembles thread-locking compound. If I tighten the machine screw on
reassembly to the point when the hex key is bending, will the screws
likely stay in, or should I apply new thread-locker?

[1] Ask not why.

That is the only place where I use loctite (243 blue stuff), because the
threads are so flimsy. I had one come loose once.

Lou
Old June 3rd 11, 03:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jun 1, 10:12*pm, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
Took the cage apart/jockey wheels out [1] on a recent model Deore rear
derailer. *There is a red substance on the threads which visually
resembles thread-locking compound. *If I tighten the machine screw on
reassembly to the point when the hex key is bending, will the screws
likely stay in, or should I apply new thread-locker?

[1] Ask not why.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

If you go to Harbor Freight you'll find their brand of thread-locking
compound is VERY affordable.

Lewis.

*****

Shimano Deore Rear Derailer Problem P Neuberger Mountain Biking 8 December 3rd 07 07:15 PM
rear derailer problem lemur Techniques 4 June 11th 07 05:40 AM
WTB: Sh. Deore Front Derailer Chris Z The Wheelman Marketplace 0 July 14th 06 04:22 AM
Help adjusting rear derailer, pls BigBen Techniques 6 May 17th 06 11:20 PM
105 rear derailer question G.T. Techniques 5 January 20th 06 08:59 PM