What happened to the person learning on a Coker?

Old April 22nd 04, 07:57 PM
Huthwaite

Default What happened to the person learning on a Coker?

What happened to the daily log of the very brave (if not insane -
ponders that) person learning to ride on a Coker?

How are you doing?

Come on spill the beans?

Go on?

Please?

Ahhh. Thanks.

--
Huthwaite - bahhh
Huthwaite's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5561

Old April 22nd 04, 09:49 PM
Jayne ZA

I lost track of days but am keeping track of hours now. I'm just over
the 9 hour mark and so close to riding that I can taste it. I have
decided to dispense with all outside support (other than a family member
to call an ambulance if I break something important) and just go for
it.

I stopped the daily logs because I got sick of saying "I still can't
ride yet". Let's face it, how many times can you say that before it
gets boring?

Jayne

--
Jayne ZA - Learning to ride on a Coker

Being a statistician means never having to say you're certain

Jayne ZA's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4878

Old April 22nd 04, 09:53 PM
Krashin'Kenny

Jayne,
Sounds like you're progressing quite well. I believe the average time
for learning is 10-12 hours on a MUCH smaller wheel!!!!!!!!!
Keep up the good work

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

Old April 22nd 04, 10:10 PM
underdog

Keep up the good work Jayne. Sounds like your doing great. I've got
maybe 15 hours in on a 20" wheel and can now go 20 meters or so with
some regularity. Having a little trouble breaking through that barrier.
Just going for it is a good thing to do. I was probably at the 5 hour
mark and still clinging to the fence at the tennis court for dear life
when I decided I HAD to let go of my crutch. The first many tries were
an excercise in frustation but progress started to come relatively
quickly.

I'm really impressed with anyone who would try to learn on a Coker. My
hat's off to you.

--
underdog - level 0.5 rider

I feel a lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197

Old April 23rd 04, 06:27 AM
tomblackwood

Jayne ZA wrote:
*Let's face it, how many times can you say that before it gets boring?
*

Uhm, I'm heading into my 3rd year.

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....

Old April 23rd 04, 10:15 AM
Jayne ZA

tomblackwood wrote:
*Uhm, I'm heading into my 3rd year. *

Well, what makes it worse is having to watch the 20 YO who has only
practiced twice! Both times at the club, both times a week apart, and
the little twerp is already venturing out into the great abyss with a
fair amount of success, admittedly on a 20 inch wheel. He asked if he
could ride the coker and I said NO!

Last night I told him, if he got all the way across the floor, he could
go and stand behind my car so I could reverse over him.

He thought I was joking!

The innocence of youth.

Jayne

Old April 23rd 04, 11:36 AM
tom_edmonds

you'd hate my mate ryan then, i do, hes had about 15 hours worth riding
time, and already can do small crank grabs and go to rubber on a 12"
ledge it took me like a year or so to get to that

--
tom_edmonds - Finally...less talking, more riding

"Trials - limited only by the wallet"
tom_edmonds's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3992

Old April 23rd 04, 12:00 PM
brian.slater

Jayne ZA wrote:
*I stopped the daily logs because I got sick of saying "I still can't
ride yet". Let's face it, how many times can you say that before it
gets boring?*

Actually, I looked forward to your posts (once you explained that it
wasn't ballroom dancer-*_s_*- but -a- dancer in particular that was
peaking your ire ) and found them to be interesting.

Are your rug rats still wanting to help and do it, too?

--
brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

Brian C. Slater
AKA: Snoopy

Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

"To not decide is to decide" - undecided
brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

Old April 23rd 04, 02:04 PM
Jayne ZA

brian.slater wrote:
*Are your rug rats still wanting to help and do it, too? *

The 14YO boy child refuses point blank to get on one wheel. The 4YO
girl child wants to learn to ride NOW, preferably on the coker. I sat
her on it the other day and took photos. If they come out OK I'll post
them as they should be pretty cute. Mostly they are a hindrance rather
than a help. There's nothing more distracting than the sound of
children killing each other. I keep threatening to shut them in the
garage with the dogs.

Jackie won't believe that both the coker and the 24 are too big for her.
I'm waiting for a postage quote from unicycle.com and then she's
getting a 16 inch Torker to learn on. Non-unicyclists want to know if
she can ride a bike yet. What's that got to do with it?

I found out yesterday that a guy at work though I was learning on a 20
inch wheel as he's never seen big unicycles. How vague is "My unicycle
has a 36 inch wheel, it's about as tall as my daughter"?

Jayne

Old April 23rd 04, 03:32 PM
Huthwaite

I used to enjoy your daily rants - was almost becoming to feel that it
was a soap, you, your unicycle, and your kids, dogs and all the goings
on!

You've nearly done it, so well done indeed! applauds

JJ