Climbing Position/ Saddle ?

Old October 11th 04, 02:37 PM
Matt Peeler

Default Climbing Position/ Saddle ?

Last weekend I got my chance to ride on some long steep climbs. I was
on my Klein Quantum and there were 3X1 mile climbs at about 15% and
the last 3mile climb to the top was about 10%. I had never ridden on
anything like that before but I did put a 12-25 rear cassette on. I
was ok on the 10% climb with my 39X23or 39x25 where I could hold a
steady pace but was fatigued from the previous steep climbs that
caused my trouble. It seemed like when I would climb sitting up I
would lose momentum and was almost better and climbing the steep grade
on the brake hoods bent over. I was wondering it that was just because
I need better gearing or I thought maybe the change in grade force my
upper body back too far on the rear wheel. Not sure I'm 5 175-180 not
small frame for a cyclist but also felt a need to slide back more on
saddle even though it is fine elsewhere. ARe there any saddles back
there that allow one to slide back a bit more on the back. I tried an
SLR but there was so much movement when I would slide on back, it
didnt feel right and eventually got loose so I went back to my old
saddle. I need as much as I can slide back due to the seat tube angle.

Thanks

Matt P
Old October 12th 04, 04:03 AM
Mark Wolfe

Ken wrote:
(Matt Peeler) wrote in news:4893fade.0410110537.55200ad4
@posting.google.com:

It seemed like when I would climb sitting up I
would lose momentum and was almost better and climbing the steep grade
on the brake hoods bent over. I was wondering it that was just because
I need better gearing or I thought maybe the change in grade force my
upper body back too far on the rear wheel.

Leaning foward allows you to apply more force on the pedals. It also helps
keep you front wheel on the ground, though that's usually not a problem at 15%
or less.

Not sure I'm 5 175-180 not
small frame for a cyclist but also felt a need to slide back more on
saddle even though it is fine elsewhere. ARe there any saddles back
there that allow one to slide back a bit more on the back. I tried an
SLR but there was so much movement when I would slide on back

SLR has very little room to move around. A longer saddle like an Arione allows
you to move forward or backwards by a couple of inches. Moving around allows
you to use different muscles and avoid cramping up on a long steep hill.
Standing from time to time also helps.

I tend to not mess with the saddle, but change what counts, GEARING...
15% grades are steep. They make triples, compact doubles, and in
fact, you can get a 12-27 road cassette. But that's me.

--
Mark Wolfe Lakeside, ca
http://www.wolfenet.org

Saddle review martin Techniques 6 May 8th 04 02:52 AM
Lower back exercises for out of the saddle road climbing Doug Racing 12 October 12th 03 05:09 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM