Ride an SUB not an SUV

Old April 10th 07, 12:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
george conklin

Default Occidental CEO got more than $400 million in 2006

"Dave Head" wrote in message
On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 22:31:55 -0500, Tim McNamara
wrote:

In article ,
Dave Head wrote:

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 17:35:26 -0700, "Fred G. Mackey"
wrote:

I had a good laugh at a few of these people last winter as I drove
by them in my coupe while they were either stuck - either because
they couldn't manage to control their "lame ass SUV" or because they
thought their SUV was tough enough to make it through deep snow that
hadn't yet been plowed and found out the hard way how "lame ass"
their SUV really is.

Next big snow, U bring your coupe, I'll bring my Jeep Cherokee with
the all terrain tires, and we'll see who gets stuck.

You just identified one of the key things: tires. Most any car will
deal with snow just fine unless it's riding on unsuitable tires.

And its the main reason you can't do what the anti-SUV'ers suggest, which
is to
rent one when you need one. The rentals all have smooth tires, and you
then
get stuck anyway, 4WD or not.

DPH

I've never seen a rental car with worn-out tires.

Old April 10th 07, 12:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Dave Head

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 11:54:27 GMT, "george conklin" wrote:

"Dave Head" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 22:31:55 -0500, Tim McNamara
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

They're not worn-out, they're "all season", which, in deep snow, are about as
useful as tits on a boar hog.

DPH
Old April 10th 07, 01:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Amy Blankenship

Default promoting "smart growth"

"Baxter" wrote in message
-
Free software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in message
.. .

"Baxter" wrote in message

Do stay on track - the issue is whether we spend hundreds of billions
of
dollars on Iraqi's or whether we spend a tenth of that on our own

people.

(and yes, there are reports that elections are not particularly fair in
LA.)

Then why did you bring up your feeling that the people of Louisiana are
somehow downtrodden in a way that Mississippians aren't?

Your question is nonsensical.

Obviously you don't have an answer then.

Old April 10th 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Matthew T. Russotto

In article ,
Baxter wrote:

"Matthew T. Russotto" wrote in message
et...
In article ,
Baxter wrote:
"Matthew T. Russotto" wrote in message
et...
In article ,
Baxter wrote:

Why is it we can spend $100 Billion on building Iraq, but not $2

billion
on
our own nation?

Be happy about that -- do you really want even 2% of the **** that's
going on in Iraq?

I want us OUT of Iraq, and building our OWN country.

"Whoosh!" That's the sound of the point flying over your head.

You have no point. You are simply trying to distract from the issue. The
issue is whether we spend hundreds of billions of dollars on Iraqi's or
whether we spend a tenth of that on our own people.

The point is that with all that money the US government spent in Iraq,
all it has done is **** that country up. Why do you think if the
government spent a tenth or a fiftieth of it here, it wouldn't **** it
up just as badly?
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old April 10th 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Matthew T. Russotto

Default Iraq responsibility was promoting "smart growth"

In article ,
Clark F Morris wrote:

The US took on a responsibility to those who cooperated with it after
the invasion. How it treats those people may determine how US troops
are treated in the future. Many people are risking their lives daily
to make Iraq work. I for one don't want to see them left to the
tender mercies of the various groups directing the suicide bombers.

Iraq can't work. As soon as the US leaves, the civil war will heat up
full time and continue until some group hostile to the US comes out on
top. This is inevitable, unless the US maintains the occupation
indefinitely.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old April 10th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Baxter

-
Free software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

"Matthew T. Russotto" wrote in message
t...

Baxter wrote:

Why is it we can spend $100 Billion on building Iraq, but not $2

billion
on
our own nation?

Be happy about that -- do you really want even 2% of the **** that's
going on in Iraq?

I want us OUT of Iraq, and building our OWN country.

"Whoosh!" That's the sound of the point flying over your head.

You have no point. You are simply trying to distract from the issue.

The
issue is whether we spend hundreds of billions of dollars on Iraqi's or
whether we spend a tenth of that on our own people.

The point is that with all that money the US government spent in Iraq,
all it has done is **** that country up. Why do you think if the
government spent a tenth or a fiftieth of it here, it wouldn't **** it
up just as badly?

Your "point" is bull****. If your wife was sending all your money to Darfur
and neglecting your kids you'd be ****ed. Same principle applies here.

And your characterization that the "government" can't help people is
Ideological and not supported by facts.

Old April 10th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Baxter

-

"Baxter" wrote in message

Do stay on track - the issue is whether we spend hundreds of billions
of
dollars on Iraqi's or whether we spend a tenth of that on our own

people.

(and yes, there are reports that elections are not particularly fair

in
LA.)

Then why did you bring up your feeling that the people of Louisiana are
somehow downtrodden in a way that Mississippians aren't?

Your question is nonsensical.

Obviously you don't have an answer then.

No, your question is nonsensical in this context. Your question might be
more appropriate in context with the US Attorneys firings that are in the
news.

Old April 10th 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
george conklin

Clark F Morris wrote:

The US took on a responsibility to those who cooperated with it after
the invasion. How it treats those people may determine how US troops
are treated in the future. Many people are risking their lives daily
to make Iraq work. I for one don't want to see them left to the
tender mercies of the various groups directing the suicide bombers.

Iraq can't work. As soon as the US leaves, the civil war will heat up
full time and continue until some group hostile to the US comes out on
top. This is inevitable, unless the US maintains the occupation
indefinitely.

Then we become a fully-colonian power!!!

Old April 10th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Amy Blankenship

-

"Baxter" wrote in message

Do stay on track - the issue is whether we spend hundreds of
billions
of
dollars on Iraqi's or whether we spend a tenth of that on our own
people.

(and yes, there are reports that elections are not particularly fair

in
LA.)

Then why did you bring up your feeling that the people of Louisiana
are
somehow downtrodden in a way that Mississippians aren't?

Your question is nonsensical.

Obviously you don't have an answer then.

No, your question is nonsensical in this context. Your question might be
more appropriate in context with the US Attorneys firings that are in the
news.

I see you've learned one of George Conklin's less admirable techniques...If
someone disagrees with you or questions you further, declare the
comment/question irrelevant, drivel, or nonsensical. Nice :-)

Old April 10th 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Scott M. Kozel

"Amy Blankenship" wrote:

I see you've learned one of George Conklin's less admirable techniques...If
someone disagrees with you or questions you further, declare the
comment/question irrelevant, drivel, or nonsensical. Nice :-)

Because George is tired of seeing the same refuted arguments
posted over and over again. After a certain point there is
no need to be polite.