Blue railway signals?

Old December 16th 18, 09:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Johnny B Good

Default Blue railway signals?

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 15:55:05 +0000, Terry Casey wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 19:54:44 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

Do you seriously expect anybody to plough thtough 319 lines of this
drivel?

I'm guessing he was hoping the few who haven't already kill filed him
may have done. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Old December 16th 18, 09:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Kristy Ogilvie

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 21:47:50 -0000, Johnny B Good wrote:

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 16:06:30 +0000, Kristy Ogilvie wrote:

====snip====

I'm not colour blind, and I don't look directly at the traffic lights.
I see red or green out of the corner of my eye and act accordingly. If
they suddenly became the same or very similar colours, I'd make mistakes
regularly. Are you saying a colour blind person already knows to look
carefully at things? I can't think of where else colour and position
are that important.

You can't detect colour 'out of the corner of your eye' (nor very much
detail for that matter).

Wrong. I can immediately spot brake lights or red traffic lights 45 degrees from where I'm looking. I in fact once did an eyesight test to see how far I could see in periphery. So as the tester knew I could really see the object, I had to say what colour it was. Colour can be seen in your full field of vision.

However, what peripheral vision is good for, is
detecting changes in luminance levels which can alert you to potential
danger or reward (depending on whether you're the 'prey' or the
'predator').

And you need to know it's red so you know it's danger, and not just a white headlight, or a green traffic light.

Traffic lights don't rely solely upon colour for their function since
the position of the 'stop', 'prepare to stop' and 'proceed with caution'
lamps has been standardised, not only with colour blindness in mind but
also to speed up response/interpretation times in general.

Only if you look straight at them, which I never do. If you're colour blind and have to do so, you're impeding your driving abilities, as you're no longer concentrating on the area you need to look at.

Distant railway signals can't benefit from the layout of the signalling
lamps, leaving colour as the only useful marker which makes good colour
vision a vital requirement in the qualification of any train driver.

Old December 16th 18, 09:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Rod Speed

"Kristy Ogilvie" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 19:57:50 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Kristy Ogilvie" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 09:30:43 -0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 16/12/2018 09:25, Max Demian wrote:
On 15/12/2018 19:25, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 18:21:55 +0000, Fred Johnson wrote:

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 11:22:05 -0000, Max Demian

wrote:

====snip====

Usually hot is on the left.

Seems to be that way on all my sinks, but I'd say in other people's
houses I see it the other way round in about 20% of cases. When I
were
a lad, the bathroom sink was definitely the other way round, can't
remember the kitchen sink.

Back in the day when *cold* running water was a luxury, the tap
(fawcet)
would be mounted on the RHS for ease of use by right handed people
(the
majority of the population - most left handers learn soon enough to
become ambidextrous).

The hot tap being a much later luxury add on had to make do with
the
only remaining space on the LHS. Thus was the convention of LHS
hot/RHS
cold tap placement born. The other way round is usually the result of
lazy plumbing and pure chance.

Any evidence for that? Surely they would put the single tap in the
middle for symmetry. Was there ever a time when hot taps were added as
an extra to an existing cold water tap, rather than installing them
together?

I have seen te odd one like that yes, in pretty old un-renovated
properties back in the 1970s

Sounds like a neat, invented explanation.

That I agree with.

As soon as twin taps were vthe norm for some reaosn sonmeone decided
that the right hand more often than not wanted the cold tap

Depends on the person. I always wash my hands in cold water, I don't
see
the need for hot water to dissolve a bar of soap. Some people always
use
hot water, for comfort I think.

Yeah, I used to in winter but don't bother anymore, just use cold.

Since soap dissolves in cold just as well, and it's only for seconds you
have your hands in the water, I fail to see the point in having it warm.

But you're the one that trolled about cold showers and fooled no one.

Also, since most people have the hot water actually hot, you'd need to mix
cold and hot to wash your hands, even more effort.

Nope, just use what comes out before it gets too hot.

Prior to that the cold tap was generally either central or in an random
corner

Probably just depending in where the pipe happened to be. Why run it
further than necessary?

So they look the same.

Only people with OCD care.

Nope, those that don't exist in a slum/hovel.

Mind you, you'd think a sink designed for one tap would have one hole,
in one place.

None of mine have a hole, the tap goes in the
surround that has a hole that the sink or
laundry tub goes into.

Was your house made in the 50s?

Nope, very early 70s. Plenty are still done that way.

Old December 16th 18, 10:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
%[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

colour is not needed in driving ,
take the traffic light for example ,
the top is red the bottom green ,
you don't need to see the colour
Old December 16th 18, 10:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Kristy Ogilvie

wrote:

[...]

You do if you want to see more than one thing at a time, which is a basic requirement of driving.

Let's say you're driving along, watching the car in front of you, or a pedestrian ahead. A properly sighted driver will know if the lights ahead are red or green without moving their eyes. A colour blind driver will have to look at the lights, and take their concentration and central vision off the important things in front of them. Colour blind drivers are unsafe and should be banned from driving.
Old December 16th 18, 10:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Rod Speed

wrote:

[...]

Very few of the color blind are that color blind.

And when approaching the lights, you don't have
to keep focussing on other than the traffic lights
to still be able to drive perfectly safely. The movement
of other cars and stuff like sign poles and the kerb
will still be perfectly visible if you have to focus on
the traffic light to see which bulb is currently lit.

Old December 16th 18, 10:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Steve Walker[_6_]

On 16/12/2018 19:49, Rod Speed wrote:

"Kristy Ogilvie" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 12:37:49 -0000, newshound
wrote:

On 14/12/2018 18:22, Fred Johnson wrote:
People with colour blindness shouldn't drive trains (or cars for that
matter).

And it's not very many, in fact I know of only one person who's
colourblind.

You may not know *of* many but I bet you know quite a lot. It's about 8%
of men, although many of them do not realise that, or discover it until
tested later in life.

I think you'd notice when you saw all the traffic light bulbs looking
identical.* You're not safe to drive if you can't tell red from green.

Very few are that colorblind and those who are
just use the position of the light, not the color.
Dunno how they go with those colored arrows
that are now so common to indicate when you
can turn at the more complex intersections tho.

Cant find a proper photo of ours and too lazy to
go there and take a photo, but we have some
where there is a normal column of 3 lights and
one arrow off to the side which changes color
to indicate when you are free to turn there.

Ours doesn't change colour. We have the normal three lights and maybe an
arrow at one side (sometimes both sides). If the main green is lit, but
not the turn arrow, you can turn anyway, but must give-way to oncoming
traffic. If the arrow is lit, oncoming traffic will be facing a red.
There is no need for any other colour arrows.

Where the turn lane is separated from the straight on lanes, two full
sets of three lights side by side are used.

SteveW
Old December 16th 18, 10:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Rod Speed

wrote:

[...]

You do with some of ours. We have that column of
3 lights with another off to the side of the bottom
one with an arrow that changes color to allow or
disallow a turn at that intersection.

Old December 16th 18, 10:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
%[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

well they aren't and they won't be so you don't get your way
Old December 16th 18, 10:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cycling
Rod Speed

wrote:

[...]

If you hadn't wanked yourself completely blind,
you'd be able to glance at the traffic light and
see which bulb was lit and still be able check
that you are still in the current lane and havent
run into the car in front of you and even get
real radical and see if someone is about to
cross the road ignoring the traffic lights.

Let's say you're driving along, watching the car in front of you, or a
pedestrian ahead. A properly sighted driver will know if the lights ahead
are red or green without moving their eyes.

And anyone who hasn't wanked themselves completely
blind would be quite capable glancing at the lights
to check which bulb is lit too, even if there are no other
cars so they can't just see what the other cars are doing
and see that they are slowing down for a red.

A colour blind driver will have to look at the lights,

Nope, **** all of the color blind are that color blind.
If they were, they wouldn't be unaware that they are
color blind until they get a proper test, usually for a
job interview with an operation that only employs
those who arent color blind.

and take their concentration and central vision off the important things
in front of them.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that's saying something.

Colour blind drivers are unsafe and should be banned from driving.

Pathetic excuses for trolls should get a bullet in the back of the neck.

Hand signals from car Tough Guy no. 1265 UK 87 October 25th 15 03:17 PM
Hand signals? Squashme UK 27 May 23rd 13 11:58 AM
Invicta Men's Chronograph Blue Leather Blue Dial Watch 3314 [email protected] UK 0 April 3rd 08 04:17 AM
Hand signals Bean Long Australia 3 December 9th 05 01:31 PM
Hand signals Arpit Australia 52 September 14th 03 06:05 AM