The Bus Driver who used the bus as a weapon against a Cyclist is a lucky fellow

Old February 21st 12, 03:46 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
dgk

Default The Bus Driver who used the bus as a weapon against a Cyclist is a lucky fellow

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 10:57:49 -0800 (PST), "His Highness the
TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher"
wrote:

You must all have seen it in the news...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/video/2...t-attack-video

He got away with a light 17 month jail term and eligible for parole at
half that term. What's the message here?

1- Never argue with a driver,

2- Don't trust the law to do justice,

3- We need cameras placed all over the place,

4- Cyclists are insects,

5- All of the above.

And what's the solution anyway?

Cameras can catch the worst wild drivers, but it must be followed by
enforcement. Around here, we do not have cameras, but a cyclist was
struck and killed by a van that left the scene. But guess what,
bridges do have cameras and they later caught the guy.

I have another strategy to catch the worst drivers out there, inspired
by hunting. Place two or more cops undercover out there, and one stays
behind --the decoy-- taking the heat from drivers, and the ones in
front catching them. Voila! One year license suspension for harassing
cyclists in any way.

I'd have given this bus driver 17 years, but that's only my humble
opinion.

I find that almost all bus drivers are extremely attentive and
professional. Also, whether biking or driving, I try to defer to
buses. There are usually lots of people on buses who want to get where
they're going so they should have priority over fewer people vehicles.
Old February 22nd 12, 04:42 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_2_]

On 02/21/2012 07:46 AM, dgk wrote:

I find that almost all bus drivers are extremely attentive and
professional. Also, whether biking or driving, I try to defer to
buses. There are usually lots of people on buses who want to get where
they're going so they should have priority over fewer people vehicles.

That seems less important than the fact that if buses stop suddenly they
throw a lot of unbelted people around and that sensible bus drivers
would try to avoid this by NOT stopping suddenly.

--
Cheers, Bev
Just as you cannot explain snow to a summer insect, so also you cannot

Old February 22nd 12, 05:03 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Fred2

On 22/02/2012 16:42, The Real Bev wrote:
On 02/21/2012 07:46 AM, dgk wrote:

I find that almost all bus drivers are extremely attentive and
professional. Also, whether biking or driving, I try to defer to
buses. There are usually lots of people on buses who want to get where
they're going so they should have priority over fewer people vehicles.

That seems less important than the fact that if buses stop suddenly they
throw a lot of unbelted people around and that sensible bus drivers
would try to avoid this by NOT stopping suddenly.

Absolutely!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5TTA4f7Q3E

Fred
Old February 22nd 12, 05:36 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Mrcheerful[_3_]

The Real Bev wrote:
On 02/21/2012 07:46 AM, dgk wrote:

I find that almost all bus drivers are extremely attentive and
professional. Also, whether biking or driving, I try to defer to
buses. There are usually lots of people on buses who want to get
where they're going so they should have priority over fewer people
vehicles.

That seems less important than the fact that if buses stop suddenly
they throw a lot of unbelted people around and that sensible bus
drivers would try to avoid this by NOT stopping suddenly.

A cyclist caused the death of a bus passenger by riding straight in front of
the bus and causing an emergency stop (about a year ago)

Old February 22nd 12, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/video/2...er-cyclist-att...

[...]

they're going so they should have priority over fewer people vehicles.- Hide quoted text -

There are also lots of witnesses on buses who can back up a cyclist
who is bulllied by an agressive bus driver.
I have been grateful for this fact on more than one ride home lately.

--
Simon Mason

Old February 23rd 12, 07:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Default Manchester roads to close on June Bank Holiday for the GreatManchester Cycle mass ride

QUOTE:

Manchester, the city that is home to British Cycling, will this June
host a mass participation cycling event on a 13-mile closed road
circuit aimed at everyone from families looking for a leisurely ride
to experienced cyclists looking to test themselves over four laps and
52 miles. The Great Manchester Cycle is being organised by Nova, which
organises events including the Bupa Great North Run and Bupa Great
Manchester Run, as well as the British Gas Great North Swim.

The event, which is to be held on Bank Holiday Monday 4 June, will see
cyclists set off in waves beginning at 8am depending on which of the
three rides they have entered. Those are the 13-mile Get Out and Pedal
ride, described as ideal for beginners and families, the 26-mile Rule
the Roads ride, aimed at leisure cyclists, and the 52-mile Test
Yourself ride, which organisers say is suitable for club cyclists.

The circuit itself starts and finishes outside the Velodrome in
Eastlands and heads along the Mancunian Way, normally closed to
cyclists, towards Old Trafford and Salford Quays before heading back
towards the start.

Online entries are now being accepted on the Great Manchester Cycle
website, and adults applying before 20 April can benefit from a
special offer on a jersey produced to commemorate the event, costing
£15 instead of the usual £40.

The cost of entry is £28 for both the 26-mile and 52-mile rides, which
includes chip timing, a Great Manchester Cycle t-shirt, medal and
finishers pack, and there will also be feed stations along the route.
Discounts are available for groups of five or ten riders.

Pricing is a little more complicated for the 13-mile ride. Children
aged 3-7 go free, but must be on a tagalong or a child’s bike seat.
The price for one adult is £28, rising to £38 for one adult plus one
child aged over 8, £40 for one adult plus two children, £66 for two
adults plus one child, £68 for two adults plus one child, and £78 for
two adults plus three children. Family groups are limited to five, and
every two children must be accompanied by at least one adult.

Entrants to the 14-mile ride will have to maintain a minimum speed of
7mph, rising to 13mph for the 26-mile ride and 18mph for the 52-mile
ride.

The event is being backed by British Cycling, and also has the support
of Olympic individual pursuit champion Rebecca Romero, who said: “I am
thrilled at the prospect of the Great Manchester Cycle in my favourite
sporting city. It will be a real boost for the sport and I’m sure will
capture the imagination of the public.”

Councillor Mike Amesbury, Manchester City Council executive member for
culture and leisure, added, “The Great Manchester Cycle is a unique
chance for everyone, regardless of ability, to get on their bikes and
enjoy riding through the city on roads free of traffic.

“The 2012 Olympics will see a national focus on sport that will help
inspire everyone to get more active. Manchester is hosting a selection
of mass participation events throughout the year providing as many
people as possible with the chance to take part.

“The Great Manchester cycle has categories designed for cyclists of
all abilities so there’s no reason not to hop on your bike and enjoy
the city from a different perspective.”

http://road.cc/content/news/53012-ma...ycle-mass-ride

--
Simon Mason
Old February 23rd 12, 04:21 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Bob F

dgk wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 10:57:49 -0800 (PST), "His Highness the
TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher"
I find that almost all bus drivers are extremely attentive and
professional. Also, whether biking or driving, I try to defer to
buses. There are usually lots of people on buses who want to get where
they're going so they should have priority over fewer people vehicles.

Accorcing to bus drivers I've talked to here, they get in big trouble or lose
their jobs if they have accidents or complaints.

Old February 23rd 12, 06:56 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Bob F wrote:
dgk wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 10:57:49 -0800 (PST), "His Highness the
TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher"
I find that almost all bus drivers are extremely attentive and
professional. Also, whether biking or driving, I try to defer to
buses. There are usually lots of people on buses who want to get
where they're going so they should have priority over fewer people
vehicles.

Accorcing to bus drivers I've talked to here, they get in big trouble
or lose their jobs if they have accidents or complaints.

Not according to the ones I know, they seem to get away with all sorts of
crashes and complaints without any problems, but they do get told off if
they don't stick precisely to schedule, even if it means holding up the
traffic.