Mountain Biking Injury Report

Old April 3rd 04, 06:44 PM
Andy Chequer

Default Mountain Biking Injury Report

I fail to see your point. Life isn't safe. Might as well ride.

That's before we even get into the health implications of spending your life
sitting on your arse in front of a computer.

I work in IT support and a colleague took a call the other day from someone
who had her finger stuck in the FDD of her workstation. The fire brigade
attended the scene......

Stay in your homes!

Andy Chequer

Old April 3rd 04, 07:12 PM
\(t'other\) Dave

"Andy Chequer" m wrote in
message ...

I fail to see your point. Life isn't safe. Might as well ride.

That's before we even get into the health implications of spending your

life
sitting on your arse in front of a computer.

I work in IT support and a colleague took a call the other day from

someone
who had her finger stuck in the FDD of her workstation. The fire brigade
attended the scene......

Stay in your homes!

Andy Chequer

"...her finger stuck in the FDD of her workstation."
**** me!! that must've taken some serious doing!!!!!!!
Dave
('scuse the language but y'know what I mean?!?)

Old April 3rd 04, 07:46 PM
Andy Chequer

"...her finger stuck in the FDD of her workstation."
**** me!! that must've taken some serious doing!!!!!!!
Dave
('scuse the language but y'know what I mean?!?)

No ****. If I'd not been three desks from the bloke who took the call I
wouldn't have believed it either.

Andy Chequer

Old April 3rd 04, 08:10 PM
BB

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 15:36:43 GMT, Mike Vandeman wrote:
Mountain bikers often claim that they mountain bike because riding on the road
is so dangerous. This study found that mountain biking is TWICE as dangerous as
road riding. So much for THAT excuse.

http://site37721.dellhost.com/free_p...0Oct%20ABC.pdf

It was a survey of roadies, so its "junk science". :-)

Lemme see, 89% of the accidents are road, 11% are MTB - so 11/89 2?

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
Old April 4th 04, 12:35 AM

Put yourself out.

I MTB 2004

Old April 4th 04, 06:49 PM
BB

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 14:49:12 GMT, Mike Vandeman wrote:

.It was a survey of roadies, so its "junk science". :-)
.
.Lemme see, 89% of the accidents are road, 11% are MTB - so 11/89 2?

I guess you didn't read it. A greater percentage of mountain bikers have
accidents than road bicyclists.

It was the SAME group of roadies, a few of whom had done a little bit of
riding off-road. Why would a group of roadies with little off-road
experience and (a high comfort level with road riding) be an appropriate
sample? Its not, of course. Even if you consider the 18% that did any
meaningful amount of mountain biking, that's a sample size of 15 which is
far too small to be significant. It really is "junk science" as far as
your use of it goes - that's why I'm sure you'll contine to use it.

I've been riding off-road frequently for nine years now, and never had to
see a doctor for anything cycling-related. My riding compadres have never
been seriously injured either. In that same timeframe, I have a roadie
friend who's had his arm broken, and another who spent half a day in a
coma - both experienced road riders hit by cars. As usual, your "data"
never syncs up with reality.

Old April 4th 04, 06:59 PM
BB

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 14:57:20 GMT, Mike Vandeman wrote:

.That's a lot worse than anything I've gotten in the last 40 years of road
.riding at about 3 - 6 thousand miles/year.

Me too, over 55 years.

And yet the bunch they interviewed in that survey missed an average of 17
DAYS of work due to injuries. I'd consider that pretty damned dangerous!
Maybe they were just accident-prone. :-)

Old April 6th 04, 04:37 PM
Mike Vandeman

On 4 Apr 2004 17:59:35 GMT, BB wrote:

..On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 14:57:20 GMT, Mike Vandeman wrote:
..
.. .That's a lot worse than anything I've gotten in the last 40 years of road
.. .riding at about 3 - 6 thousand miles/year.
..
.. Me too, over 55 years.
..
..And yet the bunch they interviewed in that survey missed an average of 17
..DAYS of work due to injuries. I'd consider that pretty damned dangerous!
..Maybe they were just accident-prone. :-)

Look up "statistics" in the dictionary. That's what science is about.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old April 6th 04, 04:39 PM
Mike Vandeman

On 4 Apr 2004 17:49:35 GMT, BB wrote:

..On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 14:49:12 GMT, Mike Vandeman wrote:
..
.. .It was a survey of roadies, so its "junk science". :-)
.. .
[...]

The difference is that THEY did science, whereas you only gave a little
anecdotal "evidence", when an even smaller sample size. Can you spell
"hypocrisy"?
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old April 6th 04, 07:46 PM
BB

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 15:39:55 GMT, Mike Vandeman wrote:

[...]

Yes, I can even use it in a sentence: Your interpretation of this study
is "junk science" (the point above, which you didn't argue), making all
your other posts about "junk science" nothing but hypocrisy.

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

Frequently Asked Questions about Mountain Biking (Modified and Expanded) John Morgan Mountain Biking 7 March 13th 04 07:18 PM
Mike Vandeman qa2 Mountain Biking 26 November 18th 03 12:16 PM
More Hate Mail from a Typical Mountain Biker Stephen Baker Mountain Biking 11 October 26th 03 05:14 AM