Ankle Injury - Is Mountain Biking the Answer?

Old March 12th 05, 07:29 PM
Rockstar

Default Ankle Injury - Is Mountain Biking the Answer?

I was out hiking about six weeks ago and had a severe ankle sprain. It
is still screwed up and I cannot mountain climb or hike. I really need
to get back into the backcountry and was thinking a mountain bike is the
answer. Has anyone hurt their ankle on a bike ride. My ankle was a big
as a grapefruit and filled with blood. I had to take many painkillers
that first week after ER.

Can anyone recommend any good books to read about how to select a
mountain bike, and how to live together with hikers.

The last time I rode a Mountain Bike, was when I rode to the top of El
Cap from Crane Flats in 1980.

Since then I have really considered Mt. Bikers to be pretty much
worthless pieces of crap, that tear up trails, and then go home to their
trailer parks to smoke crack, and have sex with their teenage daughters,
but now that I have hurt myself I have had a change of heart. I really
need to get back to the mountains, and I am willing to live in peace,
and try to bridge the gap between your kind and technical trad
rockclimbers.

I am so sorry I have ignored you guys over the years when you have said
"good day" when we encountered each other on the San Merril Upper trail.
I now see this was wrong and ask for you forgivness.

Also, can anyone recommend any good rides in the San Gabriels that are
good entry level rides. How many miles do you guys ride in a day, I was
doing 20 mile day hikes, with 5000 gains. So when healthy I can probally
ride 50 miles a day.

Where can I buy a cow bell?

Also, I live here in La Canada, can anyone recommend a good place to buy
a bike.

Thanks

Rockstar
Old March 12th 05, 08:44 PM
small change

Rockstar wrote:
I was out hiking about six weeks ago and had a severe ankle sprain. It
is still screwed up and I cannot mountain climb or hike. I really need
to get back into the backcountry and was thinking a mountain bike is
the answer. Has anyone hurt their ankle on a bike ride. My ankle was
a big as a grapefruit and filled with blood. I had to take many
painkillers that first week after ER.

aren't you the same guy that was part of the massive trolling effort from
rec.climbing in december?
http://tinyurl.com/6u4d6

Can anyone recommend any good books to read about how to select a
mountain bike

http://bbauer.gomen.org/newbike/ how to buy a mountain bike

and how to live together with hikers.

http://www.imba.com/about/trail_rules.html

Since then I have really considered Mt. Bikers to be pretty much
worthless pieces of crap, that tear up trails, and then go home to
their trailer parks to smoke crack, and have sex with their teenage
daughters,

Funny, we say the same things about rock climbers.
Funny some of us are/have been climbers too.
Also, can anyone recommend any good rides in the San Gabriels that are

good entry level rides. How many miles do you guys ride in a day, I
was doing 20 mile day hikes, with 5000 gains. So when healthy I can
probally ride 50 miles a day.

Where can I buy a cow bell?

What do you need a cowbell for?

2¢ from small change

Old March 12th 05, 08:46 PM
small change

small change wrote:
Rockstar wrote:
I was out hiking about six weeks ago and had a severe ankle sprain.
It is still screwed up and I cannot mountain climb or hike. I really
need to get back into the backcountry and was thinking a mountain
bike is the answer. Has anyone hurt their ankle on a bike ride. My
ankle was a big as a grapefruit and filled with blood. I had to take
many painkillers that first week after ER.

aren't you the same guy that was part of the massive trolling effort
from rec.climbing in december?
http://tinyurl.com/6u4d6

and sneaky too... setting the followup for rec.climbing.

gulp

Old March 12th 05, 09:03 PM
Shawn

Shawn wrote:
Rockstar wrote:

[...]

"I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell."
Maybe these guys can help.

http://www.ojai.net/swanson/snlshows.htm (click Watch the Cowbell Skit)

This sure smells like MV to me.

Troll.
Old March 12th 05, 09:34 PM
di

"
The last time I rode a Mountain Bike, was when I rode to the top of El
Cap from Crane Flats in 1980.

1980, Isn't this about the time mountain bikes were invented by Gary Fisher?
Describe your bike.

Old March 12th 05, 11:32 PM

Hold on and just sit still till your heeled.

Old March 13th 05, 12:07 AM
cc

"Rockstar" wrote in message
ink.net...

snip troll

This is the douche-bag troll I previously referred to, for whomever asked.

cc

Old March 13th 05, 01:52 AM
Rockstar

"di" wrote in news:mfJYd.7137$Wy.3613@okepread02:

"
The last time I rode a Mountain Bike, was when I rode to the top
of El Cap from Crane Flats in 1980.

1980, Isn't this about the time mountain bikes were invented by Gary
Fisher?
Describe your bike.

I was working at the Carson REI at the time. It was a green Novara made out
of Steel. It was quite a piece of crap compared to your modern bikes mad
out of Aluminum.

The Rockstar
Old March 13th 05, 03:56 AM
John Harlow

Since then I have really considered Mt. Bikers to be pretty much
worthless pieces of crap, that tear up trails, and then go home to
their trailer parks to smoke crack, and have sex with their teenage
daughters,

You are so full of crap. Like any of us could afford a trailer.

We live in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We get up at six o'clock in
the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill
for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we get home, out Dad
thrashes us to sleep with his belt!

Old March 13th 05, 03:20 PM
Shawn

John Harlow wrote:
Since then I have really considered Mt. Bikers to be pretty much
worthless pieces of crap, that tear up trails, and then go home to
their trailer parks to smoke crack, and have sex with their teenage
daughters,

You are so full of crap. Like any of us could afford a trailer.

We live in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We get up at six o'clock in
the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill
for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we get home, out Dad
thrashes us to sleep with his belt!

Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the
morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the
mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us
around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

Knew I had that somewhere in the depths of my HD.

Shawn