Route info Cloudcroft NM to Artesia NM

Old March 25th 05, 08:46 PM
Tom

Default Route info Cloudcroft NM to Artesia NM

This may be repeat - seems like first attempt went into ????

Need infor on small towns out of Cloudcroft to Artesia - specifically
any food or motels available?

Planning ride from San Diego to Dallas

Tom
Old March 26th 05, 03:10 AM
Mike Vermeulen

Need infor on small towns out of Cloudcroft to Artesia - specifically
any food or motels available?

I use the following URL to find local Mom and Pop motels:
http://www.motelguide.com/

It lists one motel in Cloudcroft and one in Artesia.

--mev, Mike Vermeulen
Old March 28th 05, 03:35 AM
Steve B.

"Mike Vermeulen" wrote in message

Need infor on small towns out of Cloudcroft to Artesia - specifically
any food or motels available?

I use the following URL to find local Mom and Pop motels:
http://www.motelguide.com/

It lists one motel in Cloudcroft and one in Artesia.

If memory serves, there's more then one in Cloudcroft, including the Lodge
up on the hill ( a very nice inn with terrific food), as well as one down
on the very short main strip. A google search showed a whole mess of
places.

Travelocity shows a Holiday Inn Express in Artesia.

My recollection of the road from Cloudcroft to Artesia is all downhill (for
the most part), with damn little en-route except one little hamlet (Hope) on
the eastern border of the Nat'l Forest.

The State of NM tourism website doesn't list any lodging in Mayhill, Elk or
Hope, the 3 "towns" on Rt 82 between the 2 towns.

That said, it's 92 miles, mostly downhill and probably do-able in a day.

Bring lunch and picnic in the forest.

SB

Old March 28th 05, 03:57 AM
Tom

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 21:35:14 -0500, "Steve B."
wrote:

"Mike Vermeulen" wrote in message

Need infor on small towns out of Cloudcroft to Artesia - specifically
any food or motels available?

That said, it's 92 miles, mostly downhill and probably do-able in a day.

Bring lunch and picnic in the forest.

SB

Thanks Mikle - I had pretty much came to same conclusion - this is the
only stretch between San Diego and Dallas that I couldn't find much
out about.

The climb from Alamogordo into Cloudcroft demands an early morning
start. Hate to only put in 20 miles in one day.
Have come to conclusion that I need to see how I feel after climb and
see what time it is before deciding on trying the next 92 miles in the
same day.

Tom
Old March 29th 05, 05:44 PM
Pat Lamb

wrote:

"Mike Vermeulen" wrote in message
Need infor on small towns out of Cloudcroft to Artesia - specifically
any food or motels available?

That said, it's 92 miles, mostly downhill and probably do-able in a day.

Bring lunch and picnic in the forest.

SB

Thanks Mikle - I had pretty much came to same conclusion - this is the
only stretch between San Diego and Dallas that I couldn't find much
out about.

The climb from Alamogordo into Cloudcroft demands an early morning
start. Hate to only put in 20 miles in one day.
Have come to conclusion that I need to see how I feel after climb and
see what time it is before deciding on trying the next 92 miles in the
same day.

There's some nice day-hikes up on top if you don't want to spend all
your time in the touristy shops.

Pat