Bottom bracket replacement compatibility

Old August 10th 05, 05:40 AM
Jim Dekan

Default Bottom bracket replacement compatibility

I have an old 20.5" Raleigh MT-20 bike from the early/mid-90's with all
Altus C10 stuff on it. The bottom bracket is a Shimano BB-CS11 with the
following markings on it:

BB-CS11
Shimano Japan
via 68 R3
BC 1.37x24
Spindle: D-EL

the plastic cap is on the R side.

I am trying to find a replacement and can't figure out what's compatible.
Two local bike shops have given me two different answers. I have found a
Shimano UN52 and a UN72 online that have similar (or the same) specs, but
not sure if they'll work, party because they have the plastic cap on the
right side, partly because I can't find any information about this BB.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Jim

Old August 10th 05, 06:28 PM
OMaurizio

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 04:40:42 GMT, "Jim Dekan"
wrote:

I have an old 20.5" Raleigh MT-20 bike from the early/mid-90's with all
Altus C10 stuff on it. The bottom bracket is a Shimano BB-CS11 with the
following markings on it:

BB-CS11
Shimano Japan
via 68 R3
BC 1.37x24
Spindle: D-EL

the plastic cap is on the R side.

Hi Jim
It is an english thread (1.37x24 tpi) with 68 mm BB shell.
Are you sure about the "R3" logo? it might be 103 mm spindle lenght,
anyway you can measure it. If the spindle is square tapered it's easy
to find a replacement by Shimano, you only have to ask for "English
thread (1.37x24 tpi) 68 mm BB shell and spindle lenght in millimeters"
it certainly will fit.
Maurizio
Old August 10th 05, 11:13 PM

Jim Dekan wrote:
I have an old 20.5" Raleigh MT-20 bike from the early/mid-90's with all
Altus C10 stuff on it. The bottom bracket is a Shimano BB-CS11 with the
following markings on it:

BB-CS11

Tourney BB in an Altus bike ... typical hidden down grade. Altus with
the FC-CT92 or FC-CT91 crankset should have a BB-CT91 Bottom Bracket.
The makings on it would have been YL116, that is a 116mm spindle with a
47.5mm chainline.

Shimano Japan
via 68 R3
BC 1.37x24
Spindle: D-EL

Thats interesting, the listing for a BB-CS11 with the D-EL designation
is 127.5mm spindle but with the 47.5 chainline ... measure the spindle
to be sure.

the plastic cap is on the R side.

Matters not

I am trying to find a replacement and can't figure out what's compatible.
Two local bike shops have given me two different answers.

They may both be right.

I have found a
Shimano UN52 and a UN72 online that have similar (or the same) specs, but
not sure if they'll work, party because they have the plastic cap on the
right side,

Matters not.

partly because I can't find any information about this BB.

1996/97 Dealer support Manual.