Berlin Copenhagen Kobenhavn Radweg Cycle Route.

Old October 4th 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Berlin Copenhagen Kobenhavn Radweg Cycle Route.

Did this last week with my wife and 2 buddies. This is a new bike route
which runs through the old East Germany to Rostock and by ferry to
Denmark, and eventually to Copenhagen, which believe it or not is
pronounced Kay(umlaut o)penhown.

It is nearly but not quite the finished product.

Getting out of Berlin is a nightmare. Very complicated, badly
signposted (we had official maps). Get the train out to one of the
first towns. We did a minitour of central Berlin before heading off,
seeing Berlin Wall, Checkpoint Charlie, Branderburg gate etc.

When you are a bit out it improves and signposting is better. You can
still go astray as we did once or twice. East Germany looks quite
prosperous now. It's fairly cheap and accommodation is good and quite
plentiful. Cycling was mostly good, some fabulous stuff through
forests. Some dodgy surfaces and some sandy areas (soil here is very
sandy) where you have to walk. Not cyclable. I would say maybe 2 miles
in small patches would need to be walked because of huge cobbles or
sand. Scenery wise not bad but not great either. A lot of planted pine
everywhere blocking long views in the flattish terrain. Food excellent.

Denmark was a lot more scenic with low but rolling terrain, much more
expensive for drink and food, and somewhat for accommodation. Superb
cycling surfaces mostly on very quiet roads. Food good. There is VERY
littel tourist accomodation in Denmark outside Copenhagen. You need to
plan it a bit.

Copenhagen is a fabulous city. Well worth a visit.

This route will be very good in a few years when it's fully sorted out.

Did we enjoy it? Yes. Weather was lovely.

Old October 4th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Henry Moravec

Wife and I (both aged 70 at the time) did this ride 3 years ago and
agree with the assessment.

Two added comments: 1. Denmark is expensive and over-shadows the
frugal part in old East Germany. 2. Don't even attempt this route
without the Bikeline booklet of maps (available at
www.esterbauer.com ), the signage along the route isn't all that
consistent.

Hank in Seattle

FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Kenyan cycle training route? Dave Larrington UK 2 September 5th 03 10:42 PM
Pick 'n Pay Cape Argus Cycle Tour - Cape Town, South Africa, 2004 David Cowie Racing 0 August 28th 03 10:29 PM
Pick 'n Pay Cape Argus Cycle Tour - Cape Town, South Africa, 2004 David Cowie UK 0 August 28th 03 10:29 PM
Wire strung across "cycle route" Colin UK 19 August 8th 03 03:48 PM