Figuring out calories burned?

Old September 1st 04, 05:56 PM
chris christanis

Default Figuring out calories burned?

I had a cheap Bell computer that did it for me but it fell off (cheap). So I
bought a cateye but it does not tell you calories burned. Anyway to figure
this out?

Old September 1st 04, 06:03 PM
Bob in CT

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 16:56:51 GMT, chris christanis
wrote:

I had a cheap Bell computer that did it for me but it fell off (cheap).
So I
bought a cateye but it does not tell you calories burned. Anyway to
figure
this out?

My heartrate monitor tells me this, although it's probably just a guess on
its part. However, if I ride hard one day over the same terrain as a
previous day's ride, it'll give me a higher calories burnt for the hard
day.

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply
Old September 1st 04, 06:12 PM
BanditManDan

chris christanis Wrote:
I had a cheap Bell computer that did it for me but it fell off (cheap)
So I
bought a cateye but it does not tell you calories burned. Anyway t
figure
this out?

Go to 'www.fitday.com' (http://www.fitday.com) . It's not 100
accurate but then again neither was your bike computer.

Dan

--
BanditManDan

Old September 1st 04, 07:16 PM
Beverly

"BanditManDan" wrote in
message ...

www.caloriesperhour.com is another good site for this type of information

Old September 1st 04, 10:39 PM
VBadJuJu

"chris christanis" wrote:

I had a cheap Bell computer that did it for me but it fell off (cheap). So I
bought a cateye but it does not tell you calories burned. Anyway to figure
this out?

I have one of those and think it is great. The only other
cyclocomputer I've seen with calorie consumption estimation was in the
$150 range (and *not* cordless IIRC).

In that light, I see them as a *value* not "cheap", but also expect
that feature will show up on more of the better 'puters next year.

Highly accurate too at least as to speed (and therefore distance, avg
speed etc). Recently there was one of those automated radar speed
things down the street off and on for about 9 weeks. Coming down the
hill on my way out to ride I could verify the read out vs the radar
thingie.

FWIW, 13 - 15 miles works out to about 1000 calories at 10.5 - 11.5
MPH average for me.

Old September 1st 04, 10:50 PM
Daniel Crispin

"chris christanis" wrote in message
I had a cheap Bell computer that did it for me but it fell off (cheap). So

bought a cateye but it does not tell you calories burned. Anyway to figure
this out?

I use a software called crosstrainer, it's excellent to diet, train and have
a big picture view at calories intake and expense.

You can download a free trial he
http://www.download.com/Crosstrainer...ml?tag=lst-0-1

Old September 1st 04, 11:26 PM
GaryG

"chris christanis" wrote in message
I had a cheap Bell computer that did it for me but it fell off (cheap). So

bought a cateye but it does not tell you calories burned. Anyway to figure
this out?

I've included a Calorie and Watts Calculator in my CycliStats ride log and
training diary software ( http://www.CycliStats.com ).

The calculation is automatic whenever you log a ride (see
http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliStats/addride.htm for a screen shot).
But if you want to override the program's assumptions, you can open the
Calorie and Watts Calculator and play around with the variables yourself
(see http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliS...calculator.htm ).

--
~_-*
....G/ \G

Old September 2nd 04, 04:30 AM
Synergy

"chris christanis" wrote in message
I had a cheap Bell computer that did it for me but it fell off (cheap). So

bought a cateye but it does not tell you calories burned. Anyway to figure
this out?

You might try this formula

Calorie = (1 + 0.0276 * (Average HR – 100)) * (3.5 + 0.0887 * (Weight – 40))
* Time

Where HR is heart rate in beats per minute, weight is in pounds, and time is
in minutes.

Old September 2nd 04, 12:51 PM
Peter Cole

"VBadJuJu" none@ wrote

Highly accurate too at least as to speed (and therefore distance, avg
speed etc). Recently there was one of those automated radar speed
things down the street off and on for about 9 weeks. Coming down the
hill on my way out to ride I could verify the read out vs the radar
thingie.

Bike "computers" are simple wheel revolution counters, they're all as accurate
as the tire size input.

FWIW, 13 - 15 miles works out to about 1000 calories at 10.5 - 11.5
MPH average for me.

That sounds off by a factor of 4 or so, it's way too high unless that is up a
very steep hill. You can't accurately measure calories without measuring
watts, and that's a difficult thing to do, the equipment is available to do
that (e.g. Powertap), but it's expensive.

calories burned - HRM vs. Web sites?? Bob General 24 February 3rd 06 08:04 PM
Calorie Estimates.... LaoFuZhi UK 59 July 26th 04 07:17 PM
Polar Heart rate monitor help Peter Jones Australia 15 April 2nd 04 02:19 PM
Influence of weather on calories burned? Sb083459 General 9 April 1st 04 11:56 AM
Strange fatigue again...? (long) Mitch Pollard General 42 October 12th 03 02:41 PM