Ullrich DESTROYED Lance!

Old July 18th 03, 08:44 PM
Nick Burns

Default Ullrich DESTROYED Lance!

"Marlene Blanshay" wrote in message
In article , "Rene Clancy"
wrote:

Go Jan GO!!!!

JAN!!!

But Thhhbbtttt! for OLN for not sticking around to show the podium
presentation. WTF!!! The guy wins his first stage in who knows how long,
it's his big comeback, stick around for the presentation, ya shmucks!

On the west coast they have the final showing from 5:30 to 8:00 so I hope
they will show it since they have an extra 30 minutes to fit it in.

Old July 18th 03, 10:05 PM
Raptor

Jamce1 wrote:
did anybody notice the gaps ullrich made over the last 6k?

armstrong - 26 secs
vino - 19 secs
zubeldia - 20 secs
hamilton - 21 secs

that much in about 3.5 miles! he was rolling.

interesting to see that all the players took time out of armstrong over the
last portion. whats up with that?

chris

Reading through the lines of the interviews, it looks like the heat hit
LANCE upside the head. He said he ran out of water.

I don't mind riding semi-hard in 100 degree heat, but competing? That
seems kind of hard. :-)

It's gonna be interesting. I suspect LANCE will attack Ullrich in the
mountains. It'll probably play out like Alpe d'Huez, where LANCE got
attacked and in responding, dropped Ullrich (at least temporarily). If
LANCE is in a position to gain another minute on Jan, he'll probably go
for it. If Jan hangs with LANCE, it'll be a nail-biter.

Is there any chance of some Vuelta-style flat-land tactics working in
the Tour de France? How strong is Bianchi?

"I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we could to protect
our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security."
--Microsoft VP in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Old July 18th 03, 11:41 PM
Dave

"dwjones" wrote in message
et...
ullrich had a spectaular time trial. however he does not have the team to be
able to match lance in the Pyrenees

Sure he does...the team of the current 2nd place rider, Vinokurov

Dave

Old July 19th 03, 01:05 AM
Marlene Blanshay

wrote:

Go Jan GO!!!!

JAN!!!

But Thhhbbtttt! for OLN for not sticking around to show the podium
presentation. WTF!!! The guy wins his first stage in who knows how long,
it's his big comeback, stick around for the presentation, ya shmucks!

On the west coast they have the final showing from 5:30 to 8:00 so I hope
they will show it since they have an extra 30 minutes to fit it in.

Yeah, I'll watch the end of the evening coverage, or the coverage on canal
evasion. They seem to stay on a few minutes longer. I bet if Lance won the
stage they'd have stayed with him.

Old July 19th 03, 02:37 AM
warren

In article , Dave
wrote:

"dwjones" wrote in message
et...
ullrich had a spectaular time trial. however he does not have the team to be
able to match lance in the Pyrenees

Sure he does...the team of the current 2nd place rider, Vinokurov

So far this Tour, when the bunch has been reduced to 7-10 guys how many
USPA were there and how many Bianchi and Telekom were there?

I predict Heras and Armstrong will attack hard because Ullrich can't do
that.

-WG
Old July 19th 03, 03:17 AM
Dave

"dwjones" wrote in message
et...
"Dave" wrote in message
.. .

"dwjones" wrote in message
et...
ullrich had a spectaular time trial. however he does not have the team

to be
able to match lance in the Pyrenees

Sure he does...the team of the current 2nd place rider, Vinokurov

Dave

no he doesn't. vinokurov is a member of his previous team

Duh!...think outside the box for a moment..
Dave

Old July 19th 03, 04:38 AM
Fred Marx

Dave wrote:
"dwjones" wrote in message
et...

"Dave" wrote in message

"dwjones" wrote in message
t.net...

ullrich had a spectaular time trial. however he does not have the team

to be

able to match lance in the Pyrenees

Sure he does...the team of the current 2nd place rider, Vinokurov

Dave

no he doesn't. vinokurov is a member of his previous team

Duh!...think outside the box for a moment..
Dave

Let's see Vinokourov is actually in 3rd overall and I'll just bet they
ride for him.... and then for Vino and Zabel in the following flat
stages... no way I see JU getting help form the pink and black... Now
ONCE on the other hand.... Figure Basque riders beating each other into
the ground and they have lost Beloki... I bet they're available for deal
making.... Plus JU can be opportunistic and jump on Basque attacks that
look promising.. In reality? he rides right there with LA and Vino and
limits the damage till the final ITT.

Old July 19th 03, 06:49 AM
James Thomson

"jean-yves hervé" wrote

It's the first time in 3 years that I watch the TdF on French
TV, and I can hardly believe it is the person as the obnoxious
guy who won in 1998.

It isn't: the obnoxious guy who won in '98 was Marco Pantani.

James Thomson

Old July 19th 03, 08:19 AM
jumphress

but if he gets gapped, who knows what will go through his mind.

In 2000 Lance on the Joux-Plane Lance accelerated and shed everyone
but Heras (then with Kelme) and Virinque. Then Heras attacked, Lance
started going backwards, and a bunch of riders, including Ullrich,
came back to him. Ullrich ended up taking 1:35 back from Lance. (Both
Livingston and Bruyneel were fined for irregular feeding.)

In 1998 Ullrich, wearing the yellow jersey, lost almost 9 minutes on
Stage 15, dropping him to 5th overall. The next day (another mountain
stage) he came back and beat Pantani in a sprint to move back into
3rd. If Ullrich cracks, it won't be because of psychological
pressure.

And for those doubting Ullrich's TT ability, in 1997 he won an uphill
time trail by more than 3 minutes.