Another good ride today

Old February 5th 05, 07:18 PM
MSeries

Default Another good ride today

I have committed to increasing my weekly mileage by 10% each week, not
sure when I'll stop. Today then I had to do at least 75 miles. I did a
loop last year that was 67 miles so I thought with a few more wiggles
this route would do it. I set off a little later than I'd planned to,
10:15. Cool and overcast with no wind. I was floating, none of the ride
was problematic, OK a completely flat route but often one gets winds in
these places, not today though. Went from Morley to Selby then to York
(not via the York - Selby path). Lunch in Hot Pot Cafe in Bishopton road
(opposite Cycle Heaven). Beans on toast & tea for £2.70, not bad, slow
service though. Home via the back roads to Taddie then over the ridges
where the Lancs and Yorks beat the crap out of each other. 77.25 miles
in 5h 55 mins including all stops. I reckon the lunch stop was about 45
mins. Next week or the week after I need to do a 90 miler plus my
standard 48 miles commuting.
Old February 5th 05, 09:33 PM
Call me Bob

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 19:18:38 +0000, MSeries
wrote:

I have committed to increasing my weekly mileage by 10% each week, not
sure when I'll stop.

10% increase a week sounds a pretty stiff challenge. Good luck, I'd be
interested to know when you reach the choke point.

--

Call me "Bob"

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a
little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"

Benjamin Franklin

Old February 5th 05, 09:57 PM
MSeries

wrote:

I have committed to increasing my weekly mileage by 10% each week, not
sure when I'll stop.

10% increase a week sounds a pretty stiff challenge. Good luck, I'd be
interested to know when you reach the choke point.

I am not going to be stupid about it, I realise that rest is important
and that if I continue increasing that I'll burn out before the summer
is over. I am thinking of entering LEL this year so I'm trying to
prepare myself for plenty of 200s, a couple of 300s, 400s and 600s.
Old February 6th 05, 08:25 AM
DG

Admirable if you can do it. I know that I couldn't.

On the basis of your original posting, saying "Next week or the week after I
need to do a 90 miler plus my
standard 48 miles commuting" that's 148 miles for the week 12/02.

On a 10% increase each week that will take you to over 11,000 for the week
of 31/12/05. Scary.

Seriously though, good luck to you. I did 112 miles for the whole of 2003
(yes, 112), increased to 1800 miles in 2004 and this year have set a target
of no less than 2500 miles.

I know that's not as much as many here, but it's still an improvement for
me. Personal achievement is what matters.

Good luck again.

DG.

Old February 6th 05, 09:47 AM
MSeries

DG wrote:
Admirable if you can do it. I know that I couldn't.

On the basis of your original posting, saying "Next week or the week after I
need to do a 90 miler plus my
standard 48 miles commuting" that's 148 miles for the week 12/02.

On a 10% increase each week that will take you to over 11,000 for the week
of 31/12/05. Scary.

Jeez, now that IS scary !!! I'll probably swicth tactics when I am doing
100 milers and do several rides per week, ride both Saturday and Sunday.
Once or twice a week once the clocks change I'll insert a 25 mile loop
into my evening commute. I have found over the years that I need rest so
once I start the Audax series I'll be getting the miles in during the
events themselves and not over doing it in between. I have found that I
can take nearly two weeks off and not loose much fitness

Seriously though, good luck to you. I did 112 miles for the whole of 2003
(yes, 112), increased to 1800 miles in 2004 and this year have set a target
of no less than 2500 miles.

I used to do arounf 2000 miles per year, I have records for 1999 and it
was 2005 miles. 2004 was 4500 miles and this year I have set a target
for 6000 miles but if my other plans work I will exceed this (especially
if I do 11,000 miles in the last week of the year !!!)

I know that's not as much as many here, but it's still an improvement for
me. Personal achievement is what matters.

Set your own goals and be satisfied when you meet them. If you keep
riding over the winter you'll be in a good state to achieve a higher
mileage target next year. One could say I have been building up to this
year since early 2003.

Good luck again.

DG.

Old February 6th 05, 07:51 PM
Arthur Clune

MSeries wrote:
: these places, not today though. Went from Morley to Selby then to York
: (not via the York - Selby path). Lunch in Hot Pot Cafe in Bishopton road

Bisthorpe Rd. You were about two mins walk from my house then In fact,
if you were there about 12.50-1pm ish, I'd have been in Cycle Heaven.

I also had a good ride today. Our club relibiality trail. 100km in 3hrs 10
Then the 8 mile ride home. This afternoon I have mostly been sleeping on the
sofa [1]

Arthur

[1] And cleaning the amazing about of mud that got all over my bike. Actually,
it wasn't mud, it was ****e from a pig farm. Double sigh.
It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness
Old February 6th 05, 09:59 PM
MSeries

Arthur Clune wrote:
MSeries wrote:
: these places, not today though. Went from Morley to Selby then to York
: (not via the York - Selby path). Lunch in Hot Pot Cafe in Bishopton road

Bisthorpe Rd. You were about two mins walk from my house then In fact,
if you were there about 12.50-1pm ish, I'd have been in Cycle Heaven.

I also had a good ride today. Our club relibiality trail. 100km in 3hrs 10
Then the 8 mile ride home. This afternoon I have mostly been sleeping on the
sofa [1]

Arthur

[1] And cleaning the amazing about of mud that got all over my bike. Actually,
it wasn't mud, it was ****e from a pig farm. Double sigh.

Not sure what time I was in the cafe, it'll have been around 1pm
though.There was a guy tinkering with a bike outside CH when I passed
(though I expect there always is).
Old February 7th 05, 09:41 AM
Arthur Clune

MSeries wrote:

: Not sure what time I was in the cafe, it'll have been around 1pm
: though.There was a guy tinkering with a bike outside CH when I passed
: (though I expect there always is).

There always is

Arthur

It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness
Old February 7th 05, 07:48 PM
MSeries

Arthur Clune wrote:
MSeries wrote:

: Not sure what time I was in the cafe, it'll have been around 1pm
: though.There was a guy tinkering with a bike outside CH when I passed
: (though I expect there always is).

There always is

Arthur

and there was a Policeman on a black sit up and beg bike nattering with
the passers by.

RSVP 2004 Trip Report (long, long, long) Claire Petersky Rides 2 August 12th 04 04:34 AM
Sunday's ride Mikefule Unicycling 19 May 6th 04 04:54 PM
Another interminable write up of a ride Mikefule Unicycling 9 April 1st 04 05:15 AM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 08:44 PM
Almost epic muni ride john_childs Unicycling 17 September 28th 03 04:21 AM