2005 end of year stats.

Old December 31st 05, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default 2005 end of year stats.

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 14:36:54 -0600, "Paul Turner"
wrote:

I rode over 3000 miles this year, which I'm pretty sure is a first for me. I
managed to work this fact into the conversation several times with family
members and co-workers this month, which may sound silly considering how
much more than this many others ride, but I can't help feeling pleased about
it.

Congratulations on your achievement! (Do any of the cow-orkers or
family members really listen?)

I've been shooting for 2,000 miles in a year for about five years now.
2005 won't be the year I hit 2,000 miles, however; since I rode 3,131
miles this year, it'll be the year I rode 3,000 miles!

{Yay for me! }

Pat
Email address works as is.
Old December 31st 05, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

For the past 20+ years I have been a runner, for exercise and, believe it or
not, enjoyment. This year the summer heat just got to me (Texas!) more than
usual so I switched to bicycling. Originally I thought that I might go back
to running when colder weather hit but, cycling has been so enjoyable I have
just stuck with it!
My 2005 mileage, with a start date of July 22, was 2304. Did 21 of those
miles this AM!
Chuck

Old January 1st 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Patrick Lamb wrote:

I've been shooting for 2,000 miles in a year for about five years now.
2005 won't be the year I hit 2,000 miles, however; since I rode 3,131
miles this year, it'll be the year I rode 3,000 miles!

Congratulations and well done!

I know what my mileage was on my own turf last year, but not what I
rode while traveling. I occasionally find myself with a little extra
time at a hotel that either has bikes to rent or knows of a place close
by that rents bikes. I wish that were more common.

--
Paul Turner

Old January 1st 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

what does THIS button do? wrote:
Cyclecommute: 3434 mi / 202 days
3720 total bike miles.
205 car-free days
145 unicycle miles. 0 unicyclecommuting miles.

My stats are not impressive by any means, but latest ride in the 2005
season, January 1, 2006!!

Old January 2nd 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"what does THIS button do?" wrote in message
oups.com...
Cyclecommute: 3434 mi / 202 days
3720 total bike miles.
205 car-free days
145 unicycle miles. 0 unicyclecommuting miles.

.max

My 2005 total was 16,724, which is the least I've had in a year since 1995,
mainly becasue I lost 26 days in July and August, due to surgery. Other
than that, I got in at least some riding every day. My best 24 hour total
was 301, at the National 24 Hour Challenge on June 18-19 in Michigan. My
total since I started keeping daily records on March 1, 1993 is 230,349
miles.

Most of my miles were of course at home in WI, but in large part from my
April/May trip, I had some mileage in 14 other states and DC as follows:

GA 585
SC 584
MI 525
VA 314
IN 287
NC 256
AL 148
TN 136
MD 103
KY 100
IL 68
MN 56
DE 23
PA 22
DC 10

I had 11 flat tires, and got wet on 11 days (about half of normal). Four
days had winds in excess of 30 mph, with peak gusts up to 60 on Nov 13,
which is the windiest day I've ever encountered on a bike. Six days had
below 0F temperatures, with a low of -4 on Dec. 7 and Dec. 19. My hottest
riding days were 94 on Aug 10 and 93 on July 10

Old January 2nd 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Ron Wallenfang wrote:

[...]

And I was exciting when my odo hit 10,000 about a month ago! (And no, not
for the year; closer to 2.5. I'm such a slug!)

Bill "stat deficient" S.

Old January 2nd 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Mike Kruger wrote:
"Rick" wrote in message
oups.com...

No final stats until tomorrow, but my total mileage is right about 8200
right now, commuted 4-5 days/week on the bike except for the two weeks
after surgery. My wife has about 7980 miles at the moment, commuted 4
days a week most weeks. Not sure of car free days, but there are times
the car sits idle 7-14 days at a stretch.

Best miles of the year: the 500 from Bordeaux to Barcelona, including a
number of passes in the Pyrenees.

Very impressive numbers.

With one day to go, I'm at 5202 miles for the year, which is a new high for
me (previous best about 5080).

A similar best experience: just under 500 miles bicycling across southern
Utah in the fall.
At least one century in each month (below freezing, I can count a metric
100km; above freezing 100 miles).

What's really impressive is that it's both of you. Unfortunately, I've been
unable to get my spouse interested. (Better luck with the kids, who own two
bikes each.)

Yes, it is nice that it is a family affair. She is probably more into
it than I; she owns 4 bikes to my 3, and is training for the racing
season at the moment.

At the moment I am waiting for the waters to recede ... heavy rains
with floods, landslides, etc. are making it difficult to get the 2006
mileage counter going ;-)

- rick

Old January 2nd 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Sorni wrote:
Ron Wallenfang wrote:

[...]

Don't worry too much. Your numbers are fine. Think about what it
takes to get to 16K+ in a year. That is 48+ miles per day, every one
of the 365 days in the year. In other words, no way to do that if you
have a real life - like a job, family, etc. Also look at the fact that
he says he had only 11 wet days. I had about 11 wet days in December
2005; in other words, he is someplace quite dry. If I had no job, and
weather that good I might get up into the 15-18K range; but there is
work, wife, weather - the 3 W's that argue against that much time in
the saddle.

- rick

Old January 2nd 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Rick" wrote in message
oups.com...

Don't worry too much. Your numbers are fine. Think about what it
takes to get to 16K+ in a year. That is 48+ miles per day, every one
of the 365 days in the year. In other words, no way to do that if you
have a real life - like a job, family, etc. Also look at the fact that
he says he had only 11 wet days. I had about 11 wet days in December
2005; in other words, he is someplace quite dry. If I had no job, and
weather that good I might get up into the 15-18K range; but there is
work, wife, weather - the 3 W's that argue against that much time in
the saddle.

- rick

Your points make sense, but as it happens I am employed and married. The
heart and soul of my mileage is the work commute, 21 miles each way, more
when I feel like different routes. If you add other peoples' auto commuting
times to their exercise times and factor in transition times, my situation
is less out of line than it might look. The 11 wet days involved a lot of
luck on times of day his past year, plus it was a relatively dry year in
Milwaukee (26 in. precipitation vs usual 34), plus I've gotten wimpier about
asking my wife to pick me up on rain days. In past years I've had many more
wet days. My high mileage years began in 1993 (at age 49), when our four
oldest kids were out of high school, and the two younger ones getting there.
Biking to their athletic etc events in high school helped keep mileage up
without sacrificing family time too badly. A considerable loss of weight
and improvement in physical condition helps things with my wife, who earlier
feared I was headed toward an early coronary.

But unquestionably there's an element of compulsiveness in my riding and
ample fruit for Confession.

Best personal regards.

Ron

Old January 2nd 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Ron Wallenfang wrote:

[...]

Ron that is really impressive!!!
I'm pretty compulsive but you put me to shame.

I'll now insert my tongue fully into my cheek and submit the question
"How much do you think you could improve your mileage if you'd quit
wearing cotton?"