Reynolds 853

Old July 20th 04, 07:28 AM

Default Reynolds 853

Hello

Can anyone help me with Reynolds 853 tubing?

I would like information from Reynolds, but I have been unable to
acess their web site.

Is there any other soulces of detailed information about this
particular tubing or any other competative options?

Any frmaes or bicycles using this particular tubing would be of
interest.

The only two that I presently am aware of are some older LeMond and
Schwinn bicycles, but I no longer know what models that they are so if
anyone knows what models I am referring to or any other bicycles;
please forward that information ASAP as I would like to acquire a
bicycle soon as I have the bug again after several years of walking.

Any sites or other newsgroups with bicycles available would be
appreciated.

Thank You
Old July 20th 04, 06:44 PM
Zog The Undeniable

wrote:

Hello

Can anyone help me with Reynolds 853 tubing?

I would like information from Reynolds, but I have been unable to
acess their web site.

Is there any other soulces of detailed information about this
particular tubing or any other competative options?

Any frmaes or bicycles using this particular tubing would be of
interest.

The only two that I presently am aware of are some older LeMond and
Schwinn bicycles, but I no longer know what models that they are so if
anyone knows what models I am referring to or any other bicycles;
please forward that information ASAP as I would like to acquire a
bicycle soon as I have the bug again after several years of walking.

Any sites or other newsgroups with bicycles available would be
appreciated.

Thank You

It's a high strength steel - so tubes can be thin-walled - designed
primarily for TIG welding. The welds self-cure on cooling and the
material is just as strong where it has been joined. The butts are
short because it's designed for welding rather than brazing (which takes
longer and heats more of the tube).

853 is basically a replacement for 753, Reynolds' previous
super-strength steel. However, 753 was very sensitive to heat,
reverting to something like 531 if badly treated, and had to be silver
brazed rather than brass brazed. Reynolds only gave framebuilders a 753
seal of approval when they had submitted samples of their work for
examination. Some people did actually TIG weld 753 but Reynolds
wouldn't have been interested in any warranty claims.

Old July 20th 04, 06:48 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old July 20th 04, 06:48 PM
Booker C. Bense