Rejuvenate an old road bike

Old July 6th 04, 02:03 AM
Steve Kirkendall

Default Rejuvenate an old road bike

I have an old Centurion Lemans road bike which I love. The frame and
most of the fittings are in great shape but the wheels are worn out,
so I'm looking to replace them. This bike uses Shimano Exage components,
including downtube shifters and a 6-speed freewheel.

Nobody sells 6-speed freewheels anymore. However, I noticed that
Nashbar has 8-speed Exage downtube shifters (and they're on sale!)
so I was thinking of getting the following:

Shimano Exage 8-spd downtube shifters (for steel frame)
Mavic CXP2/Shimano 2200 wheelset
SRAM R 8-speed road cassette (12x26)

All together, the cost would be about $145. Can you think of any
reason why this wouldn't work?

Can I continue to use my old rear derailleur? What about my old front
derailleur and crankset? Do I need to replace the chain too? These
parts are still in good shape, so compatibility is the issue here.

Is there anything else I'm forgetting?

This looks easy -- Is it? Will I need any specialized tools? Actually,
as far as I can tell, I won't need any tools at all which seems unreal.

Thanks!
Old July 6th 04, 03:17 AM
daveornee

Steve Kirkendal wrote:
[...]

Your existing frame is likely 126 mm Over Locknut Dimension. The wheels
you are looking at are 130 mm OLD so you will need to spread the rear 2
mm per side, either temporarily or permanently. .... permanently eases
wheel replacement after service/cleaning/flat repair etc. ///... for an
article on how to:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

You will need a new chain as the outside dimension needs to be narrower
to fit into the closer spacing... however, if you wish, you can try your
old chain first to see how it works. Your old derailers will work OK.

Old July 6th 04, 04:32 AM
Bill Bradley

Steve Kirkendall wrote:
I have an old Centurion Lemans road bike which I love. The frame and
most of the fittings are in great shape but the wheels are worn out,
so I'm looking to replace them. This bike uses Shimano Exage components,
including downtube shifters and a 6-speed freewheel.

Have the same one myself. Do you still have the Biopace 52/42 on the
front?

Nobody sells 6-speed freewheels anymore.

Actually Harris does:
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html

However, I noticed that
Nashbar has 8-speed Exage downtube shifters (and they're on sale!)
so I was thinking of getting the following:

Shimano Exage 8-spd downtube shifters (for steel frame)
Mavic CXP2/Shimano 2200 wheelset
SRAM R 8-speed road cassette (12x26)

All together, the cost would be about $145. Can you think of any
reason why this wouldn't work?

I was thinking of getting the Megarange freewheel (a few too many hills
around here) and switching the 42 for a 28 (did I mention hills?) The
Exage set on mine at least is 11x26 so a 12x26 cassette would actually
have less range than the existing one.

Bill

Old July 6th 04, 05:01 AM
Steve Shapiro

Originally posted by Steve Kirkendal I have an old Centurion Lemans road

Sheldon does. http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html#6u

Old July 6th 04, 06:03 AM
A Muzi

Steve Kirkendall wrote:

[...]

Going to eight is committing to another dying format.

Yes get a chain with your new cassette.Your other parts
should go OK, assuming they are not overly worn.

Six freehweels are very available and dirt cheap. Get a new
freewheel and a chain ($30-$40)while you consider a new bike
( 9sp/10sp) maybe?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old July 6th 04, 06:46 AM

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 18:03:22 -0700, Steve Kirkendall
wrote:

[...]

Dear Steve,

Others have mentioned that Sheldon Brown sells six-speed
freewheels.

Lord knows whether these others would fit, but . . .

So does BikeToolsEtc (Suntour):

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...m_i d=SU-HG60

And so does Loose Screws (Shimano):

http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi...id=16363219920

http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi...id=16363219920

And so does Andrew Muzi (Suntour):

http://www.yellowjersey.org/stfw.html

Good luck,

Carl Fogel

if you wanted maximum braking, where would you sit? wle Techniques 133 November 18th 15 02:10 AM
MTB pedals on a road bike? rickn Techniques 23 April 15th 04 06:11 PM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Looking for a cheap road bike Mike Jacoubowsky General 8 August 7th 03 12:12 AM