What do Eurotards think about the United States dominating the Tour Le France

Old July 25th 04, 01:22 AM
eortiz

Default What do Eurotards think about the United States dominating the Tour Le France

The Magnificent ******* Wrote:
Cycling is one of the most popular sports in Europe, second to only
soccer. Ok, and maybe third behind darts in the UK.

So what do people in Europe think about the United States dominating
the
Tour Le France? Lance Armstrong is going to win a record 6th Tour
tomorrow and before that, Greg LeMond was dominant. So in the last 10
years or so, the Tour Le France has been won by a non-American only a
couple of times. Plus the non-American winners were all later
convicted
of using performance enhancing drugs (I think).

So just like always, the Unites States is the best in the world. I
would guess that other countries don't like it but they had better
start
getting used to it.

--
Magnificent ******* Productions 2004 ©

http://www.magnificent*******productions.com

First off, what do you mean the "best"? Yes, Lance is the best cyclist
IN the TDF from '99-04. Becuase he obviously won it. But it does'nt
mean he is the best cyclist in the world. The TDF is one of the most
prestige bicycle racing but it is not the only internatioanl race there
is. It is a waste of time proving who is the best cyclist unless the
word "best" is defined in the question. For example, Indurain can be
the best since he won the Giro and TDF (and I think the Vuelta) all in
the same year. Merckx is the best since he has rode in the front of
any race. So on and so forth.

--
eortiz

Old July 25th 04, 01:57 AM
Fx199

Subject: What do Eurotards think about the United States dominating the
Tour Le France
From: eortiz
Date: 7/24/2004 7:22 PM US Eastern Standard Time

The Magnificent ******* Wrote:
[...]

Well..He does seem to be the ""best"" "Tour-de-France rider".
Does that categorize it adequately for you?
Old July 25th 04, 01:57 AM
Fx199

Tour Le France

Old July 25th 04, 03:25 AM
Tom Paterson

Plus the non-American winners were all later
convicted
of using performance enhancing drugs (I think).

Yeah. Drugs. Convicted. That was it.

So just like always, the Unites States is the best in the world. I
would guess that other countries don't like it but they had better
start
getting used to it.

Or?

LeMond won in '86, 89, 90. Total of five TdF stage wins, beginning in '85.

So in the last 10
years or so,

'86-04 is closer to twenty. Like, nineteen, including 86, 04 (which isn't
over).

Here, go to Tom James' Palmares website where, even listing only wins, you can
see riders through time who have much, much longer lists of wins than Greg or
Lance will ever have. Check out "Merckx, Eddy". Five hundred wins approx.
total. Injured by a spectator or likely the first to win six, plus a whole
great big long list besides.

Give Lance his due, but also check world-wide infant mortality rates, literacy
rates, end of life care, this kind of thing before you hurt yourself waving Old
Glory. We're not number one on any standard of living indexes I'm aware of.

Something else you might be interested in:

http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar...statistics.htm

This table is pretty crude (leaving out US civilian losses, there certainly
were some), but this shows who bore the brunt of casualties in fighting WWII.
USSR, over 40 times that of the USA, for over 10% of the total population. --TP

Old July 25th 04, 03:50 AM
keydates

Maybe it's because his team isn't totally American...

--
keydates

Old July 25th 04, 03:50 AM
keydates

Old July 25th 04, 10:00 AM
whinds

Default What do Eurotards think about the United States dominating the Tour Le Fran

In article , keydates
writes:

Maybe it's because his team isn't totally American...

Thats because talent knows no borders. Is any one major team wholly composed of
one nationality?
If any one here cares, A Slovenian soldier won the American RAAM this year.

Old July 25th 04, 10:00 AM
whinds

In article ,
ospam (Tom Paterson) writes:

Give Lance his due, but also check world-wide infant mortality rates,
literacy
rates, end of life care, this kind of thing before you hurt yourself waving
Old
Glory. We're not number one on any standard of living indexes I'm aware of.

What does this have to do with the TDF and bicycle riding?

Something else you might be interested in:

http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar...statistics.htm

This table is pretty crude (leaving out US civilian losses, there certainly
were some), but this shows who bore the brunt of casualties in fighting WWII.
USSR, over 40 times that of the USA, for over 10% of the total population.
--TP

And how many more Russian dead would there have been if we had not supplied
them with food and munitions? If the US had concentrated wholly on the Pacific
War and ignored the European Theatre? Remember Uncle Joe was Adolph's Ally in
partitioning Poland and had trouble fighting Finland.